Request Subforum for Relaxed Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzRhonda

Not sure if this has been requested but can we get a subforum for Relaxed Hair.

The relaxed hair threads are so long and covers so much just in one thread it would great to have a subforum so we can talk about products, care etc etc.

Thanks.

ellebelle88

You know, I was just thinking the other day about how it seems that everyone on the forum is natural and all we see are products/regimens for natural heads. I was like where the folks with relaxed hair?? I wouldn't mind a relaxed hair subforum because I can't tell who is relaxed these days. It seems that natural heads vastly outnumber the relaxed hair people nowadays.

MzRhonda

I mean I go to the relaxed hair threads but sometimes there are so many pages with tons of info you gotta start reading from page 1 until the last page to see if what you are looking for is in that thread.

Not saying the natural threads are not useful, they have been for me as I have a daughter that is natural it would just be nice to divide the two for ease.

Just my 2 cents.

SequinsAndAbsinthe

I second this request. I was relaxed for most of my adult life but I always cust my hair short in a sort of Pixie style as I was a real tomboy and didn't want long hair.

I then went natural with success.

I now wanna go back to relaxed but all the major inspirations from early LHCF have closed their fotkis, left the forum, set up their own forums or gone natural altogether.

I would like some new inspirations and a dedicated sub-forum would be a great help.

Or a few more relaxed features on FOTM

ellebelle88

I mean I go to the relaxed hair threads but sometimes there are so many pages with tons of info you gotta start reading from page 1 until the last page to see if what you are looking for is in that thread.

Not saying the natural threads are not useful, they have been for me as I have a daughter that is natural it would just be nice to divide the two for ease.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm confused then...how is having a subforum going to help your problem? You are saying that the threads are long, but the threads are still going to be long with or without a subforum and you are going to have to read from page 1 to the end of the thread.

sunnieb

It's not gonna happen. Someone has suggested this and at first I didn't agree, but now I kind of wish we had our own sub forum.

It's no secret around here that the majority of the members are natural or transitioning. I'll post something and the next thing I know it's on page three. :lol:

All we can do is keep posting. If you see a thread that's too long, start a new one. Post, post, post!!!

Sent from my Comet

MzRhonda

I'm confused then...how is having a subforum going to help your problem? You are saying that the threads are long, but the threads are still going to be long with or without a subforum and you are going to have to read from page 1 to the end of the thread.

A subforum like Nail Fanatics you are able to start new threads so if someone is discussing relaxer brands then you can go in that thread and read about it....what is happening now is that most relaxed threads discuss everything relaxed within that one thread. Product usage, heat usage, types of flat irons, styling etc etc etc........

There are other hair boards that break it down like that....I visit them because it's easier to navigate but I LOVE the people and community of LHCF. :grin:

Raspberry

I had the same experience as SequinsAndAbsinthe , I didn't have an issue until I got a relaxer after being natural for years, I barely visited the hair section at all while natural :lol:.http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=18664

A subforum like Nail Fanatics you are able to start new threads so if someone is discussing relaxer brands then you can go in that thread and read about it....what is happening now is that most relaxed threads discuss everything relaxed within that one thread. Product usage, heat usage, types of flat irons, styling etc etc etc........

There are other hair boards that break it down like that....I visit them because it's easier to navigate but I LOVE the people and community of LHCF. :grin:

I agree. I'm pretty good at using the search function so maybe I'll do my part by bumping old threads.

I visit other boards too but I too prefer the LHCF atmosphere, maybe it's just habit.. LHCF's archives are still the most extensive IMO.

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

I kind of understand why they wouldn't want to divide the hair forum by creating a subforum for relaxed hair: Where would you go to join a challenge? Or to take a general hair poll? But I also agree that it's really hard to tell what hair advice is for relaxed hair.

If the hair forum let you put prefixes on the thread titles (similar to how this suggestions forum does), it would at least make it easier to identify relaxed vs. natural vs. transitioning specific threads.

Just a thought.

nappystorm

This has been asked before. Alot of the members got in a tizzy (ironically, most of the were natural and/or transitioning) about the suggestion and the admins said no. Personally, I don't see the problem.

MzRhonda

I kind of understand why they wouldn't want to divide the hair forum by creating a subforum for relaxed hair: Where would you go to join a challenge? Or to take a general hair poll? But I also agree that it's really hard to tell what hair advice is for relaxed hair.

If the hair forum let you put prefixes on the thread titles (similar to how this suggestions forum does), it would at least make it easier to identify relaxed vs. natural vs. transitioning specific threads.

Just a thought.

That's a thought if they do not allow a sub forum.

You can still do challenges within the sub forum. Have you checked out the other subforums such as Nail Fanatics and Pets?

It's just hard to tell which thread is talking about relaxed hair tips and which aren't....not saying I wouldn't read both just for knowledge...I don't see how it would "divide" the board.. it would just make navigation easier.

Am I missing something is this forum specifically for natural hair wearers who want healthy and/or long hair?

MzRhonda

This has been asked before. Alot of the members got in a tizzy (ironically, most of the were natural and/or transitioning) about the suggestion and the admins said no. Personally, I don't see the problem.

I don't see a problem either. We're not trying to say one group is better than another it is just for ease.

Oh well. :perplexed

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey MzR :wave:

I don't know if anyone has asked for a relaxed subforum before, but someone did ask for one for naturals a couple of years ago. The general feeling among the admins/mods of LHCF was that we don't want to separate ourselves based on hair. Many other sites promote separateness, but on LHCF we like the unity. Maybe not the answer you wanted, but I hope you aren't too disappointed.

Now with that said, if you want to make a thread with links to other helpful threads for relaxed hair, I'll be more than happy to make it a sticky in the hair forum. :) Just PM me when the thread is ready if you decide to do it.

(and I'm still relaxed and I agree there are some wonderful threads out there--a sticky would be a good way to get some of the best ones all in one place. )

LaidBak

Hey MzR :wave:

I don't know if anyone has asked for a relaxed subforum before, but someone did ask for one for naturals a couple of years ago. The general feeling among the admins/mods of LHCF was that we don't want to separate ourselves based on hair. Many other sites promote separateness, but on LHCF we like the unity. Maybe not the answer you wanted, but I hope you aren't too disappointed.

Now with that said, if you want to make a thread with links to other helpful threads for relaxed hair, I'll be more than happy to make it a sticky in the hair forum. :) Just PM me when the thread is ready if you decide to do it.

(and I'm still relaxed and I agree there are some wonderful threads out there--a sticky would be a good way to get some of the best ones all in one place. )

There is already a thread like that, courtesy of sunnieb http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=570837

Would LOVE to see it be made into a sticky.

sunnieb

But ladies, wouldn't that divide the board?

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

BEAUTYU2U - Not necessarily.

It would just be easier if we had a one-stop forum for relaxed hair care. I referred one of my relaxed friends here and she told me she thought I'd sent her the wrong link. She said this looked like a natural hair forum.

Also, there are natural focused challenges already if you think about it. I don't think I'll be joining the Twist for Growth challenge or the Stay Natural challenge anytime soon. :giggle:

I would love a Relaxed Hair Forum and would commit to participating often. I don't think we would be missed on the general hair forum since not alot of relaxed heads post there any way. :ohwell:

MzRhonda

BEAUTYU2U - Not necessarily.

It would just be easier if we had a one-stop forum for relaxed hair care. I referred one of my relaxed friends here and she told me she thought I'd sent her the wrong link. She said this looked like a natural hair forum.

Also, there are natural focused challenges already if you think about it. I don't think I'll be joining the Twist for Growth challenge or the Stay Natural challenge anytime soon. :giggle:

I would love a Relaxed Hair Forum and would commit to participating often. I don't think we would be missed on the general hair forum since not alot of relaxed heads post there any way. :ohwell:

ITA.....I don't think I frequent the general hair forum as often as I used to because it is hard to find the relaxed hair conversations. I'll click on something and as I am reading it talks about natural hair care.......I've even bought some products suggested, not knowing, and realized they would not work well on my hair.

I spend alot of time now in the natural living forum, political, health etc......

Tamster

its funny, when i first joined there were lots more relaxed convos. clearly the forum has reflected current trends. i think a subforum would really help with navigation :yep: sometimes i look for stuff to help my mom but its hard to wade through it all

glamazon386

People have asked for a natural subforum many times over the years I've been here. Every time we were given the same answer - NO. For the same reasons Supergirl mentioned. The mods don't want seperate forums for naturals and relaxed. It's interesting how the climate of the board has changed over the years though. It used to be the opposite way around.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
One thing that I've noticed is that sometimes folks make threads that really don't have to be divided or have the word "Naturals: how do you blah blah blah?" It's like you really could have made that thread include everybody-it wasn't even that serious. seeing some straightening tips from a texlaxed lady wouldn't have killed ya, lol. could have helped actually.

I really enjoy threads like Rollersetting ones, where I can get tips from everybody, natural, relaxed, texlaxed, bonelaxed, heat trained, long hair, bald, lol.

jillybean2012

Being a newbie, I would love to see a more focused relaxed hair forum. Maybe it is just me, but sometimes I have issues trying to find information on a specific subject. Now, it is a possibility that it is because of my inexperience with forums in general.

BEAUTYU2U

One thing that I've noticed is that sometimes folks make threads that really don't have to be divided or have the word "Naturals: how do you blah blah blah?" It's like you really could have made that thread include everybody-it wasn't even that serious. seeing some straightening tips from a texlaxed lady wouldn't have killed ya, lol. could have helped actually.

I really enjoy threads like Rollersetting ones, where I can get tips from everybody, natural, relaxed, texlaxed, bonelaxed, heat trained, long hair, bald, lol.

I have noticed that. I don't like it at all. I know I've created at least one relaxed hair thread and I'm natural. To me, we could all learn from each other. Sometimes the best hair advice is from people with totally different hair than your own.

FoxxyLocs

If you have a specific question and don't want to wade through a really long thread, why not just create a new thread and ask your question? You can even tag or mention some of the relaxed ladies to come in and answer. And you can create relaxed hair challenges just like there are natural challenges.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NikkiGirl

This would be a very bad move to divide the forum in this way! I hope this never happens. Just my opinion. Please leave it as is!

sunnieb

@BEAUTYU2U - Not necessarily.

Update on the bolded: My friend decided to go natural! :lol: She recently chopped off her relaxed ends and is rockin' all her kinks!

I still would like to see a relaxed subforum. I'm on this board alot and I still mix some of the questions posted by newbie relaxed heads. They post and next thing you know, it's buried and on page 4! :drunk:

If we had our own place to go, that wouldn't be a problem. I'm getting tired of having to "search" all the time. Sometimes I just want to click and all the relaxed threads are right there in your face and not hidden.

Annnnddd like @MzRhonda said, some of our threads are so long! I know it's because we don't want to lose anybody, so we try to post all kinds of tips, techniques, and the like in one big 'ol thread.

Soooooo ya'll still don't want to give us a subforum? Pretty please! :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

BeautifulNameX

Please don't divide us!!! I love my relaxed sistas!! :( Thats what I hate about all the other hair boards they divide the the hair -Newbies, Natural, Relaxed, Pressed, braids, twised, Product review, breakage, Styling, general ECT. . . . Its just too many places to look (even with two Natural and relaxed) I mean we have the relaxed sticky plus the updated favorites which has everything in it.

lustrous

All this mention of division. We divide our selves. sub-forums wouldnt do that. I mean, look at all the positive feedback from natural heads to relaxed heds and vice versa in the everyday hair thread that is a sticky. drool worthy hair is drool worthy hair period.

I completely commiserate with relaxed heads wading through natural threads. I've lurked since 2004. Times are changing and the board reflects that. Why shouldn't our forum's organization do the same? I'm visiting the hair forum less and less and pretty much keep my subscription for the fitness, skin, and finance now. If i want info for my hair i use the search tool (i relaxed about 3years ago)

Natural heads may get a sense of "this is unfair" if a forum is made for relaxed heads since the same was requested for naturals and given a no. A natural head may not see an issue since so many threads are natural. On that note, why change anything and possibly foster division?

Why not do a tester with the agreement that if the mods decide, after a trial period, that the board is fostering division, a merger is re-established. We are big girls and boys and should be able to accept the ultimate outcome gracefully. But to not try for fear of *_insert reason_*, seems... somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.