Successful Straightening Using a MaxiGlide - PICS

PJaye

Since I am tired of listening to myself whine about my wack ponytail while drooling on straight-haired Sistas' tresses, I decided to finally straighten my hair using the MaxiGlide that I purchased on 12/20. These are my results:

P#1 - Hair is freshly shampooed and deep conditioned with some Roux Fermodyl, Lacio Lacio and a smidge of Argan Oil applied to the entire head before it is sectioned off into ~5 ponytails on one side (I did a center part instead of a typical rollerset).

P#2 - Frontal shot.

P#3 - Hair is rewet one ponytail at a time before applying rollers to each and securing with pins before sitting under the dryer.

P#4 - After suffering under the dryer for 37 minutes (I couldn't take it any more), I removed the rollers and decided to air dry the rest. This is a picture of how it looked after the rollers have been removed and it was allowed to air dry.

P#5 - I applied the Beyond Straight and The End Mixture and "MaxiGlided" on setting #6 making two passes: one pre-softening pass and another pass to the entire section.

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

PJaye

P#6 - Hair fully "MaxiGlided," but raggedy and untrimmed.

P#7 - Trimmed some off, but will continue cutting until I have shaved off at least 4 inches (later, after I have rested). I want a blunt cut that is even all around.

I have to say that this entire process was not as bad as my other attempts at straightening my hair. It did not take much to get it straight, particularly the ends, which are always difficult for me. I was so apprehensive about using the MaxiGlide, especially since it has teeth-like prongs on the plates; which is why it sat around for a month in its box. I was so paranoid that after each pass over a section of hair, I kept checking the "teeth" for hair, but I only found about four. :grin:

That I need to perfect my method/steps a bit more is obvious; particularly as it pertains to the dryer-sitting step because I cannot countenance that contraption. I am open to any and all suggestions. I will try to post better pictures of my end results later (after I have rested...my son had a bad night and has not fallen asleep as of yet, but that's another story...)

Normally, I would never have started a thread of any kind, but given that I am standing on the shoulders of some courageous women who have allowed me to benefit from their many triumphs and set backs, I felt it only right that I pay it forward...or at the very least, say thank you.

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

Fab79

considering you only did two passes, you got it a nice straightness going on:yep:

it looks lush:lick:, another hair inspiration

thanks for sharing

PJaye

Thank you, everyone!

I am really surprised at the results myself, but I knew the real test would be if it would stay that way over time (because typically, after about an hour, I would look like really bad Angela Davis impersonator). Below is a close-up of the roots before I left this morning after another trim. The second picture is after I came home this afternoon. Still straight. This MaxiGlide is a keeper! :yep:

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

Wow very nice

I am natural and i straighten with maxi glide. as long as you wrap it will stay a few days. You can also do a silk wrap that will help keep straigh longer with having to add more heat

Thank you, everyone!

I am really surprised at the results myself, but I knew the real test would be if it would stay that way over time (because typically, after about an hour, I would look like really bad Angela Davis impersonator). Below is a close-up of the roots before I left this morning after another trim. The second picture is after I came home this afternoon. Still straight. This MaxiGlide is a keeper! :yep:

ladytee2

Your hair looks great. I have been debating about getting the maxiglide. Can you use the flat iron with out the teeth?

PJaye

Wow very nice

I am natural and i straighten with maxi glide. as long as you wrap it will stay a few days. You can also do a silk wrap that will help keep straigh longer with having to add more heat

Perk @ silk wrap. Do tell, what is it exactly?

PJaye

Your hair looks great. I have been debating about getting the maxiglide. Can you use the flat iron with out the teeth?

Absolutely. Like BlkOnyx stated, it comes with a set of plates that are "toofless." I was afraid of the teeth, too, until I actually tried it. As long as your hair is detangled and you do not press the plates together, it's smooth sailing.

Queen_Earth

Absolutely. Like BlkOnyx stated, it comes with a set of plates that are "toofless." I was afraid of the teeth, too, until I actually tried it. As long as your hair is detangled and you do not press the plates together, it's smooth sailing.
What do you mean if you dont press the plates together...how do you press it out then with the teeth?

PJaye

What do you mean if you dont press the plates together...how do you press it out then with the teeth?

By simply closing the plates together and gliding down the hair instead of somewhat pressing them together as one would do with another sort of flat iron. Plus, the steam feature that it has helps tremendously with the entire process.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Great job, PJaye.

I had tremendous success with my Maxiglide too. Prior to purchasing it, I had mainly relied on stylists to get my hair straight ... but now I can do it myself with relative ease.

PJaye

Great job, PJaye.

I had tremendous success with my Maxiglide too. Prior to purchasing it, I had mainly relied on stylists to get my hair straight ... but now I can do it myself with relative ease.

Thank you!

Before when I would attempt to straighten, all I ever hoped for was a semi-straightening, which I would augment by doing what I now know are called braid-outs. I'm really impressed by how well it did, especially on my ends. I always thought my hair was hopeless.

You have some REALLY pretty hair; it looks so silky.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Thank you!

Before when I would attempt to straighten, all I ever hoped for was a semi-straightening, which I would augment by doing what I now know are called braid-outs. I'm really impressed by how well it did, especially on my ends. I always thought my hair was hopeless.

Yes I agree completely. I really think the steam feature makes all the difference in the world. Since I'm natural, I thought the steam would make my hair poofy (especially my ends), but it did just the opposite. I've been telling all of my friends and family about this flat iron. I'm just super impressed with it.

You have some REALLY pretty hair; it looks so silky.

Thanks so much. :grin:

Prudent1

OP- I have a leave in condish I use called H2Ion. I only use it if I am going to use heat on my hair but it helps the hair dry faster w/o damage! Paul Mitchell's Quick Slip and Hot Off the Press from the Express Style line (and I'm sure some other companies) have similar products that decrease drying time. That should help you get out from under the dryer faster:grin:.
BTW- Your hair looks great!