Suffering in Life? Questioning God? Feeling Depressed? Need Peace?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Last year, I was going through a spiritual battle of the mind as well as the heart. I questioned a lot of things that was happening in my life...career, religion, dealings with people, etc. Then, I decided to pick up my Bible and read the book of Job along with commentaries. To this day, it has helped me cope with life in general and has helped me find a peace of mind and to just LET GO and LET GOD. Below, I put together a few bible verses and commentaries of those verses that encouraged me. I know it's a long post, but take the time to read whenever you get a chance.

~~~

Job 2:7 “So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot into his crown."

At times believers may actually suffer more than unbelievers because those who follow God may become Satan’s special targets. Believers, therefore, may have to endure hardship, persecution, or testing. This was the case with Job. We must be prepared for Satan’s attacks. When we suffer, we must not conclude that God has abandoned us (he did not abandon Job). Consistent faith is the way to defeat Satan.

Job 2:10 “But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh, What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips."

Many people think that believing in God protects them from trouble, so when calamity comes, they question God’s goodness and justice. But the message of Job is that you should not give up on God just because bad things happen. Faith in God does not guarantee personal prosperity, and lack of faith does not guarantee troubles in this life. If this were so, people would believe in God simply to get rich. God is capable of rescuing us from suffering, but he may also allow suffering to come for reasons we cannot understand. It is Satan’s strategy to get us to doubt God at exactly personal comfort. If we always know why we suffer, our faith will have no room to grow.

Job 3:23-26 “Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in? For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters. For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.”

Job had been careful not to worship material possessions but to worship only God. Now he was overwhelmed by calamities that mocked his caution, and he complained about trials that came despite his right living. All the principles by which he had lived were crumbling, and Job began to lose his perspective. Trials and grief, whether temporary or enduring, do not destroy the real purpose of life. Life is not given merely for happiness and personal fulfillment, but for us to serve and honor God. The worth and meaning of life is not based on what we feel, but on the one reality no one can take away—God’s love for us. Don’t assume that because God truly loves you, he will always prevent suffering. The opposite may be true. God’s love cannot be measured or limited by how great or how little we may suffer. Romans 8:38-39 teaches us that nothing can separate from his love.

Job 6:8-9 “Oh that I might have my request; and that God would grant me the thing that I long for! Even that it would please God to destroy me; that he would let loose his hand, and cut me off!”

In his grief, Job wanted to give in, to be freed from his discomfort, and to die. But God did not grant Job’s request. He had a greater plan for him. Our tendency, like Job’s, is to want to give up and get our when the going gets rough. To trust God in the good times is commendable, but to trust him during the difficult times tests us to our limits and exercises our faith. In your struggles, large or small, trust that God is in control (Romans 8:28). In his mercy and grace, he will take care of you.

Job 6:29-30 “Return, I pray you, let it not be iniquity; yea, return again, my righteousness is in it. Is there iniquity in my tongue? Cannot my taste discern perverse things?”

Job referred to his own righteousness, not because he was sinless, but because he had a right relationship with God. He was not guilty of the sins his friends accused him of. Righteousness is not the same as sinlessness (Romans 3:23). No one but Jesus Christ has ever been sinless—free from all wrong thoughts and actions. Even Job needed to make some changes in his attitude toward God, as we will see by the end of the book. Nevertheless, Job was righteous (Job 1:8). He carefully obeyed God to the nest of his ability in all aspects of his life.

Job 17:15 “And where is now my hope? As for my hope, who shall see it?”

Job gave up hope of any future restoration of wealth and family, and he wrapped himself in thoughts of death and the rest from grief and pain it promised. The rewards that Job’s friends described were all related to this present life. They were silent about the possibility of life after death. We must be careful to avoid evaluating life only in terms of this present world, because God promises the faithful a never-ending future.

Job 28:28 “And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.”

“The fear of the Lord” is key theme in the wisdom literature of the Bible (Job through the Song of Solomon). It means to have respect and reverence for God and to feel in awe of his majesty and power. This is the starting point to finding real wisdom (Proverbs 1:7-9).

Job 33:13 “Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters.”

Being informed brings a sense of security. It’s natural to want to know what’s happening in our lives. Job wanted to know what was going on, why he was suffering. In previous chapters, we sense his frustration, Elihu claimed to have the answer for Job’s biggest question, “Why doesn’t God tell me what is happening?” Elihu told Job that God was trying to answer him, but he was not listening. Elihu misjudged God on this point. If God were to answer all our questions, we would not be adequately tested. What if God had said, “Job, Satan’s going to test you and afflict you, but in the end you’ll be healed and get everything back”? Job’s greatest test was not the pain and suffering, but that he did not know why it happened. Our greatest test may be that we must trust God’s goodness even though we don’t understand why our lives are going a certain way. We must learn to trust in God who is good and not in the goodness of life.

Job 36:26 “Behold, God is great, and we know him not, neither can the number of his years be searched out.”

One theme in the poetic literature of the Bible is that God is incomprehensible; we cannot know him completely. We can have some knowledge about him, for the Bible is full of details about who God is, how we can know him, and how we can have an eternal relationship with him. But we can never know enough to answer all of life’s questions (Ecclesiastes 3:11), to predict our own future, or to manipulate God for our own ends. Life always creates more questions than we have answers, and we must constantly go to God for fresh insights into life’s dilemmas.

Job 38:22-34 “Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? Or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war? By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth? Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder; To cause it to rain on the earth, where no man is; on the wilderness, wherein there is no man; To satisfy the desolate and waste ground; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth? Hath the rain a father? Or who hath begotten the drops of dew? Out of whose womb came the ice? And the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it? The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen. Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? Or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth? Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee? Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?”

God stated that he has all the forces of nature at his command and can unleash or restrain them at will. No one completely understands such common occurrences as rain or snow, and no one can command them—only God who created them has that power. God’s point was that if Job could not explain such common events in nature, how could he possibly explain or question God? And if nature is beyond our grasp, God’s moral purposes may not be what we imagine either.

Poohbear

...(continued from above)...

Job 40:2-5 “Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. Then Job answered the Lord, and said, Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. Once have I spoke n; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.”

How do you argue with Almighty God? Do you demand answers when things don’t go your way, you lose a job, someone close to you is ill or dies, finances are tight, you fail, or unexpected changes occur? The next time you are tempted to complain to God, consider how much he loves you, and remember Job’s reaction when he had his chance to speak. Are you worse off than Job or more righteous than he? Give God a chance to reveal his greater purposes for you, but remember that they may unfold over the course of your life and not at the moment you desire.

Job 42:1-3 “Then Job answered the Lord, and said, I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? Therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.”

Throughout the book, Job’s friends had asked him to admit his sin and ask for forgiveness, and eventually Job did indeed repent. Ironically, Job’s repentance was not the kind called for by his friends. He did not ask for forgiveness for committing secret sins, but for questioning God’s sovereignty and justice. Job repented of his attitude and acknowledged God’s great power and perfect justice. We sin when we angrily ask, “If God is in control, how could he let this happen?” Because we are locked into time, unable to see beyond today, we cannot know the reasons for everything that happens. Thus we must often choose between doubt and trust. Will you trust God with your unanswered questions? Job openly and honestly faced God and admitted that he was the one who had been foolish. Are you using what you can’t understand as an excuse for your lack of trust? Admit to God that you don’t even have enough faith to trust him. True faith begins in such humility.

Job 42:17 “So Job died, being old and full of days.”

Job’s question is timely: Why do believers experience troubles and suffering? Through a long debate, Job’s supposedly wise friends were unable to answer the question. Job’s friends made a serious error for which God rebuked them. They assumed that trouble comes only because people sin. People make the same error today when they assert that sickness or lack of material blessing is a sign of unconfessed sin or lack of faith. Though normally (but not always) following God leads to a happier life, and rebelling against God normally (but not always) leads to an unhappy life, God is in control. In our world invaded by sin, calamity and suffering may come in good and bad alike.

This does not mean God is indifferent, uncaring, unjust, or powerless to protect us. Bad things happen because we live in a fallen world, a world where both believers and unbelievers are hit with the tragic consequences of sin. God allows evil for a time, although he often turns it around for our good (Romans 8:28). We may have no answers as to why God allows evil, but we can be sure he is all-powerful and knows what he is doing. The next time you face trials and dilemmas, see them as opportunities to turn to God for strength. You will find a God who only desires to show his love and compassion to you. If you can trust him in pain, confusion, and loneliness, you will win the victory and eliminate doubt, one of Satan’s greatest footholds in your life. If God is your foundation, you can never be separated from his love.

~~~

Source: Holy Bible KJV, Life Applications Bible

delitefulmane

Thank you SOOOO much poohbear for this post! It was oh so timely!! Just when I needed some comforting words! God bless you and may God continue us this post to bless others! :giveheart:

MSee

This is so timely. I've been noticing lately that a lot of us seem to have been going through the crazy stuff of life. You just put another brick in my foundation of trusting God whole heartedly and waiting on Him.

"Can anyone hide in secret places so that I not see him?" declares the Lord. "Do not I fill the heaven and earth?" declares the Lord. Jeremiah 23:24

I just read that after crying out to God once again for the "strange things" that have been happening to me. Your post expanded upon that truth.

Thank you Pooh

foxee

Thank you, Poohbear. THANK YOU! I am experiencing some difficulties in my life and this message is right on time!

thatscuteright

I really really really wish that this was stressed and preached more at a younger age.
I think in doing so, more people would stay in church and you would not have as many disappointed and or resentful people.

Faith in God does not guarantee personal prosperity, and lack of faith does not guarantee troubles in this life.

Poohbear

I really really really wish that this was stressed and preached more at a younger age.
I think in doing so, more people would stay in church and you would not have as many disappointed and or resentful people.

Faith in God does not guarantee personal prosperity, and lack of faith does not guarantee troubles in this life.
I agree.

The story of Job is always told as a fictious tale when we are younger in Sunday School. But a lot of times, preachers and teachers tell us that everything is going to be alright when you have faith in Jesus and that's not necessarily the case in this sinful world.

loolalooh

October-December was rough! Suffering, complaining, questioning, etc. I really could've used this post then. Still subscribing to read later. Thanks!

Kiadodie

Thanks for this. :yep: I was really going through a hard time and from your post to what the sermon was about last week "Seeing the Good in the Bad Times" I see God is telling me to "hang in there". That things happen to ALL of us Christians and Non-Christians.

It doesn't matter who you are, you go through rough patches in life. Thing is, it doesnt always mean that it's because of something you have done. Just like Job, God used that "bad" time to strengthen Job's faith.
This was a great reminder. :yep: