Suggestions for product that will protect the ends of your hair....

fancypants007

I just got a fresh trim and I want to protect the ends of my hair. I have been wearing my hair in a bun, and before putting it up, I put Beyond the Zone Split Mender on my ends. It's OK, but I'm looking for something else. I was thinking about getting Wanakee's Constant Care for Ends but it's $16.95 for a 4oz jar. I know this protect was designed to protect the ends, but I was looking for something else, perhaps a little cheaper that you had success with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

you can protect your ends with some type of oil or combination of oils.

ETA: GREASE! :D

Last edited:
I agree with the other ladies. I just use my favorite conditioner on my ends and then put it in a bun, or a ponytail with the ends tucked under. :yep: try it!

Profective Break Free is has a good price---like $5 for a little ove 4oz

I put it on my ends and then put a little olive or coconut oil over that and bun it up.

fancypants007 said:
I just got a fresh trim and I want to protect the ends of my hair. I have been wearing my hair in a bun, and before putting it up, I put Beyond the Zone Split Mender on my ends. It's OK, but I'm looking for something else. I was thinking about getting Wanakee's Constant Care for Ends but it's $16.95 for a 4oz jar. I know this protect was designed to protect the ends, but I was looking for something else, perhaps a little cheaper that you had success with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you say more, what exactly are you looking for? What is it specifically that makes you not pleased with Beyond the Zone Split Mender. I recently started using it. I like it but I found it better the way one of the other ladies suggested. I put some in my hands and rub it in my hands and then on my ends. I then seal it in with either an oil or a moisturiser. The moisturiser I use is the Aphogee Moistursier but just a little which I put on in the same manner (rubbing it in my hands). I then just put my hair up. I did this after a fresh dusting and I am pleased. But I know it's different strokes for different folk. But I found this helpful. HTH

Last edited:
I love Beyond the Zone split end mender it smells like Bananas to me. I used this last night with some coconut oil and it works fine for me.

marie170 said:
I am not sure what stores it can be purchased at but drugstore.com has it...

I apologize but I ordered the Bed Head Split Mender from drugstore.com not Beyond the Zone.

i say any good old petrolatum infused grease! alot of ladies with longer hair use petrolatum/vaseline or grease on their ends and i know why. i'mve preserved my ends without trimmgin for a year, and i still dont need one!

grease is bad for the scalp, but for the ends...it keeps them happy!

czyfaith77 said:
When you say more, what exactly are you looking for? What is it specifically that makes you not pleased with Beyond the Zone Split Mender. I recentl;t started using it. I like it but I found it better the way one of the other ladies suggested. I put some in my hands and rub it in my hands and then on my ends. I then seal it in with either a oil or a moisturiser. The moisturiser I use is the Aphogee Moistursier but just a little which I put on in the smae manner (rubbing it in my hands). I then just put my hair up. I did this after a fremm dusting and I am pleased. But I know it's different strokes for different folk. But I found this helpful. HTH

Don't get me wrong, I love Beyond the Zone Split Mender, in fact when I purchased it at Sally's the cashier told me that it is some good stuff! Just thinking if perhaps there is something better. Anyhow, I think I will continue to use Beyond the Zone on my ends, but now I will start sealing it with some oil. I will try either vaseline or some other type of oil to see what works best for my hair. Thanks for all the responses.

Candy_C said:
i say any good old petrolatum infused grease! alot of ladies with longer hair use petrolatum/vaseline or grease on their ends and i know why. i'mve preserved my ends without trimmgin for a year, and i still dont need one!

grease is bad for the scalp, but for the ends...it keeps them happy!

Yep! I've been using plain old grease (along with my usual shea butter) on my ends for the past week, and they look a lot better. I'm going to keep it up and see how it goes..

I've been using virgin cocnut cream on my ends and it's working really well. A long time ago, I used Wanakee's and I didn't think it was worth the money. For a lot less money you can get organic virgin cocnut cream, and add EOs if you want. I'm happier with the result. I don't have dry ends anymore and I hardly ever get knots in my ends anymore either :)

marie170 said:
I apologize but I ordered the Bed Head Split Mender from drugstore.com not Beyond the Zone.

The two are very similiar just the latter is cheaper and can be found at Sally's .

Back