Sulfates: Very Informative

Skydancer

Hello:] Got this from the following site:
http://www.geocities.com/bonnecasey/sulfatefree.html

[ QUOTE ]

Sulfate Free!
July 2004

Is your shampoo ruining your hair??

On June 11, I decided to stop using regular shampoos. By regular, I mean shampoos that contain SULFATES. What are they and why can they be bad for your hair?

Sulfates is a general term used to describe a multitude of Surfactants used in shampoos and other types of cleansers. They help to dissolve oils, and make bubbles. But you should know that how much a shampoo lathers is not a good indication of how well it is cleaning your hair.

Start reading the ingredient lists of your shampoos. While your waiting for your conditioner to work, just read the labels. You wont recognize any of the words. The first ingredient is almost always water or some form of it. The second and third ingredients are usually the surfactants that we are talking about here.

Here is a list of common surfactants you may find in your list. (Listed worst to best)

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate- VERY harsh. Will strip your hair.

Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- Very harsh, but better than Ammonium Lauryl sulfate.

TEA lauryl sulfate- some sources say this is gentle. BUT, MEA/DEA/TEA are all substitutes for ammonia and are just as damaging. I would stay away.

TEA laureth sulfate- same as above.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate- Better, but still harsh

Sodium Laureth Sulfate- Gentle, good pick. This is the most common one. This one is ok to use, but there are even more gentle ones you can use.

Sodium Myreth Sulfate- This is very gentle. Often found in baby shampoos.

Cocamidoprpyl Betaine- This is very, very gentle. Often found in baby shampoos. This ingredient is also found in conditioners. It is the reason that light conditioners are able to clean your hair.

Decyl Polyglucose- Most gentle surfactant. I've never used it, but some say it is TOO gentle to be effective in cleansing.

Sorbitan Laurate-mild surfactant

PEG 80- mild surfactant

Polyoxethylene fatty alcohols- VERY mild

Polyoxethylene sorbitol esters- VERY mild

Alkanolamides- VERY mild

Sodium lauraminopropionate- VERY mild

What's so bad about Sulfates?

According to the FDA, they received thousands of complaints about products with harsh sulfates. Some complaints include eye and scalp irritation, tangled hair, swelling of hands, face and arms, and split and fuzzy hair. There are also studies claiming that SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) can cause cancer when combined with other chemicals. Everything causes cancer, so I'm not worried about that. But my hair!!

While doing my own informal study, I have found certain things since I stopped using harsh shampoos. My hair stays darker and less brassy. This is because there are no sulfates to strip my color off and oxidize it. Very happy about this. My hair is less dry. I have less shedding in the shower. Just those reasons are enough for me to continue.

So what AM I using to clean my hair?

My favorite shampoo is Paves No Sulfates Allowed repairing shampoo. It is only found at Walgreens. About $6. Paves is Jessica Simpson's hairstylist. I think he is a genius for finally bringing a sulfate free product to the general consumers for a drug store price. It has NO fake coloring OR synthetic fragrances (which also damages hair) Its main surfactants are sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, and cocamidopropyl betaine.

Sometimes I use Johnson & Johnson's original baby shampoo. This also has very mild surfactants, but it doesn' have any conditioning agents, which my damaged hair needs. But it is good to use every once in a while. Its main surfactants are PEG-80, sorbitan laurate and cocamidopropyl betaine.

Sometimes I just do a CO wash (conditioner only). Since light conditioners contain mild surfactants, they can clean your hair! It takes longer, and its more work, but isn't it worth it? Naturally curly haired people or anyone with frizz should really consider using this method of cleansing. The main surfactant is usually cocamidopropyl betaine, low down on the list of ingredients.

After a couple of weeks, my hair DOES need to be clarified. Luckily, I don't use hardly any styling products at all- only hairspray maybe a couple times a month. Even though, after about a month and a half of no sulfates, my hair wasn't looking as good as before. I knew it was because I needed to deep clean. Using a strong sulfate every once in a while is not the problem, Its using them every day or every time you wash that is causing your hair to dry out and split and break, even if you are perfect about all your other hair care.

If you have to clarify, try to choose Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It is strong enough to clean your hair well, but not strong enough to dry it out. Or you could try an apple cider vinegar rinse. I don't recommend using baking soda to clarify. It can be more drying than the sulfates!

Some days I really miss my Suave clarifying. (The first ingredient is Ammonium Lauryl sulfate and the second is ammonium laureth sulfate- the 2 worst ones!!) It made my hair so thick and shiny and full. And using it really made my deep conditioners take better. I will still use it on occasion.

If for some reason you just cant give up your sulfates, consider switching to a CWC routine. (Condition, wash, condition) Wet your hair, apply conditioner all over, shampoo it out, and then condition again on just the length. It will protect your hair from most of the drying sulfates. You may be surprised to find out that your shampoo is holding you back from your best hair!!

[/ QUOTE ]

sengschick

The Bun Master
Thanks for the reminder SkyDancer. Very informative for newbies

Tai

I had always thought that it was the sodium sulfates that were the strongest and that the aluminum ones were in the middle. My regular shampoos don't use either (I wanted to be safe).

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
AnnDriena_ said:
Okay my favorite line
Everything gives you cancer so I'm not worried about that, But my hair.

[/ QUOTE ] I didn't even see that.
That's hilarious! Like cancer is a common cold, hair, now, that, that's paramount.