Sulfur 8 and Glovers Mane, Revisited

star

If you use the S8 you can always use a hair spray or some sort of spritz with fragance to apply to your hair to mask smell. Glovers does now have fragrance to their liquid and smell is almost completely gone(this is the oil) but the oil should be used prior to shamppo then washed out. Good blessing growing your hair. :)

KathyMay

ok I am such a PJ I spent my lunch hour at Sally's and another BSS and I brought some of the Glover's and Sulfur 8 and some other things. I am going to use the mixture of the Glovers and WGO on my hair. My twists are going to look like a hot mess when I take them out but I will have some new growth

dreemssold

Jaded, if you check the previous page, I think Champagne wishes posted a pic of what Mocha is using...hth.

I haven't tried the Glovers Mane before, but I am curious now. I use Sulfur 8 both on my scalp and as a substitute for vaseline while doing the baggie method. I am usually not consistent with it enough to gauge results, though. Mocha, please keep us posted on how it goes :).

jaded_faerie

i just ordered some sulfer and glovers...once i recieve i will use religiously...i will have pictures my next relaxer in May. :)

Mochalolita

dreemssold said:
Jaded, if you check the previous page, I think Champagne wishes posted a pic of what Mocha is using...hth.

I haven't tried the Glovers Mane before, but I am curious now. I use Sulfur 8 both on my scalp and as a substitute for vaseline while doing the baggie method. I am usually not consistent with it enough to gauge results, though. Mocha, please keep us posted on how it goes :).

Hey Dreems...I will definitely do that! I wish I could have stayed on the Surge Challenge to see some growth, but my hair really doesn't get along with it...but it sure does like the stinky stuff :lol:

Nenah

I used this for my daughter with a Black Tar grease by dax when her hair fell out due to a ring worm she caught in day care:mad: . She lost about a silver dollar size of hair in the back of her head from sleeping on a cot and I started applying this and braiding her hair and I would say in about a week I could see little fuzz growing in. If you saw her hair you could never tell it happened. She hated the smell but it worked.:)

HWAY

Glovers Mane has sulfur in it. I can also testify that it works. My daughter also had ringworm in her scalp when she was four. After a few months of applying that to her scalp, leaving it in for 30 minutes and washing/conditioning her hair 2-3 times a week, there was no evidence of hair loss. It also worked for her eczema (in her scalp). I kept using it until she was 14 years old because she would swim and/or run track 3-4 times a week. Now at age 19, she won't use it in her hair but I mix with the Jane Carter Solution pre poo before I visit my beautician.

Neroli

Champagne_Wishes said:
Is this stuff it?
Bumping to see if this is the product. I went to walmart during lunch and got this for about $3.50. It's called "Glovers" not "Glovers Mane" (didn't find the word "mane" anywhere on the box so not sure if its what you guys are talking about). Tirections are to apply to scalp and leave on 15 minutes to 1 hour and than shampoo.

Mochalolita

Neroli said:
Bumping to see if this is the product. I went to walmart during lunch and got this for about $3.50. It's called "Glovers" not "Glovers Mane" (didn't find the word "mane" anywhere on the box so not sure if its what you guys are talking about). Tirections are to apply to scalp and leave on 15 minutes to 1 hour and than shampoo.

Yep, that's the one! I'm not sure where the "Mane" part came from, but that's what most folks I've talked to refer to it as :)

KAddy

OK, I went checking for the Frenchee's stuff and all I saw was a bunch of Glover's stuff. They had the stuff that was pictured here and like 5 other products. There were 2 different types of shampoos and some ointment stuff (kind of like a grease for the scalp). For the MD ladies, it was in the bss in white oak shopping center off new hampshire.

LAINA7777

I brought the Glovers yesterday and the smell wasn't that bad I plan on using it every couple of days to see how it works.

TonicaG

TonicaG
You ladies went old school, way back in the day... but you're right, it does work. My mom would mix this with either vaseline or B B Super Gro and this stuff grew some hair!!! The smell was horrid and I would hate going to school after my mom greased our scalps. I just knew my friends smelled me before they saw me! (LOL)

Question: For the knowledgeable Glovers users, other than the smell is there any difference in the potency of the two products (floral/regular)?

Neroli

megonw said:
Question:
Is Glover's oil based or water based?
I don't want to nap up my new growth like with Surge.

I purchased Glovers Dandruff Control Medicine from walmart for about $3.50. The ingredients are:

Active Ingredients: Sulfur 2.5%
Other Ingredients: Polysorbate-85 , Quaternium-18 Hectorite , Propylene Glycol , Benzyl Alcohol , Fragrance Perfume.

Instructions:
Shake well before using.
For best results, use at least twice a week, or as directed by a doctor.
Before shampooing your hair, apply a small amount to the scalp in several areas.
Rub in well.
Wait 15 minutes to 1 hour.
Shampoo thoroughly.

I will be using as instructed (as a pre-poo) today and will post my review. I just can't bear to leave ANYTHING on my scalp so I'm willing to give this a try since it's a washout.

simplertimes

Poohbear said:
Does Glover's or Sulfur 8 smell similar to Wild Growth Oil??????

I don't know about Glover but Sulfur 8 smells absolutely terrible, even though it was very moisturizing I had to stop using it because the smell got me strange looks during rush hour on the subway train..........I can tolerate WGO better.........IMO

Mochalolita

Hey ladies...I'm going to do my best to answer the questions asked:

TG- I'm not sure about the difference in potentcy; I've never tried the floral scent. But I remember a thread sometime ago saying that the floral may not contain the sulfur that the original does.

MW-I really want to say that Glovers is oil based...it's not at all thick, but it sure does feel oily if you rub your fingers together. I haven't had any sort of problems with reversion while I've used it...

Kaddy-I haven't tried the grease, so I don't know what to tell you about that one! Everyone I know who has gotten good results has used the liquid

PB-Nope, neither one of them smell remotely close to WG. S8 smells just like sulfur and vaseline (which I actually have grown to like). Glovers is a whole different story...it smells vaguely like liquid smoke...you know, what you put on the charcoal bricks in a grill? That's the best way I can describe it

HTH :)

Hugs,
Crys

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Mochalolita said:
Hey ladies...I'm going to do my best to answer the questions asked:

TG- I'm not sure about the difference in potentcy; I've never tried the floral scent. But I remember a thread sometime ago saying that the floral may not contain the sulfur that the original does.

MW-I really want to say that Glovers is oil based...it's not at all thick, but it sure does feel oily if you rub your fingers together. I haven't had any sort of problems with reversion while I've used it...

Kaddy-I haven't tried the grease, so I don't know what to tell you about that one! Everyone I know who has gotten good results has used the liquid

PB-Nope, neither one of them smell remotely close to WG. S8 smells just like sulfur and vaseline (which I actually have grown to like). Glovers is a whole different story...it smells vaguely like liquid smoke...you know, what you put on the charcoal bricks in a grill? That's the best way I can describe it

HTH :)

Hugs,
Crys

Girl you have hit it on the head when you said that Glovers smelled like liquid smoke, like mesquite *barf*.

blkmaryland

Went to the BSS and compared the liquid with the cream...The liquid has 2.5% sulfur and the cream has 5% sulfur. Both have mineral oil but the cream does not have that bar-b que smell. The Cream also costs more and you get less. Just an FYI.

star

megonw said:
Question:
Is Glover's oil based or water based?
I don't want to nap up my new growth like with Surge.
Glovers is oil based and the orignial name was Glover's Mane but it recently faded off the box. The floral scent does have the sulfur in it. :grin:

bee

Hi, Ladies!

@blkmaryland, does the cream work better than the liquid?

@mochalolita, do you leave the liquid on your scalp for more than the recommended time? BTW, you never mentioned how the girls in high school used it to achieve length.

blkmaryland

Okay...I tried the Glover's Cream last night and didn't have any problems with the smell. My scalp has been tingling all morning....it feels much different then itchy....I hope the tingling isn't an indication that my hair is about to fall out :ohwell: I am transitioning and it did make my new growth feel great and easier to manage. Only time will tell.

Mochalolita

bee said:
Hi, Ladies!

@blkmaryland, does the cream work better than the liquid?

@mochalolita, do you leave the liquid on your scalp for more than the recommended time? BTW, you never mentioned how the girls in high school used it to achieve length.

Hey Bee..I leave the liquid on until my next wash. I also apply it and the S8 on a daily basis. I don't wash my hair every day...I used to, but I think it was doing my hair more harm than good. I try to wash my hair every 3 days or so, but never less than once a week. The girls from high school applied it pretty much the same way...every day, or every other :) I'm not sure how often they washed their hair, though...

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can anybody tell me how long it took to see results? I'm going to try both products, then post my results. Can't wait til I can get started! :spinning:

brickhouse

My mom used this on me back in the 70's after she went out of town and came back and found out all my hair had fell out. It is in the same package but they just dropped the "mane". If I am not mistaken I think the product was first created for dogs that had the mane. That is what I was told.

karezone

I still have a half a bottle of this stuff in my school trunk. It does grow some hair, if you can stand the smell. I always buy the floral if I can find it. I think that I should add it back to my regimen, maybe as something I do once a week. Maybe on wash night.

Hmmmmm