Sulphur Mix: Has this happened to anyone else?

CosmicVisitor

Last week, I decided that I would make my own sulphur mix to replenish my edges and to help with my dry scalp issues. Roaccutane <3 does wonders for my face, but has left me with a severe dandruff problem.

I bought yellow sublime sulphur from Baldwins and made my mix with Jojoba, EVCO, EVOO and Argan oils. Plus, ten drops of Organic Lavender Essential Oil.

Things seemed to be going well, but, recently, I noticed a rash forming on the back of my neck.

I decided to wash my hair this morning using Head and Shoulders Smooth and Silky for dry course hair.

Half way through my wash, my scalp and back of my neck started burning! It felt like when my mum left the relaxer on my head for too long when I was a child (I'm natural now)! I had to quickly rinse the shampoo out of my hair. Even now, hours later, my scalp and neck still feel tender.:nono:

Nothing has fallen out, and , so far, no scabs have formed on my scalp so I may not have any terrible wounds.

I don't know whether it was the Roaccutane <3, a reaction between the sulphur and shampoo, or maybe sulphur doesn't agree with me. I don't want to take any chances, so, in future, I'm removing the sulphur from the mix and just sticking to the oils.:blush:

JerriBlank

Doesn't Head and Shoulders shampoo have an active ingredient used in acne medication? That,in conjunction with the sulfur may have caused a reaction on your scalp.
Maybe you could shampoo with a mild,moisturizing shampoo before you use the Head and Shoulders? That stuff is pretty harsh.

CosmicVisitor

Doesn't Head and Shoulders shampoo have an active ingredient used in acne medication? That,in conjunction with the sulfur may have caused a reaction on your scalp.
Maybe you could shampoo with a mild,moisturizing shampoo before you use the Head and Shoulders? That stuff is pretty harsh.

I didn't know about the acne thing!

I've been using H&S for years with no problems before today. Plus, the rash on my neck appeared before I washed my hair. It's starting to look like it was the sulphur that did me in.:nono:

Embyra

I have heard of people ending up with severe eczema and hair loss from using sulphur mixes on their scalp before

Britpopprincess on her hair channel she suffered with this as well and stopped using it:nono:

southerncitygirl

CosmicVisitor

what was your ratio of sulfur to oil? also i wouldn't be using dandruff shampoos with a sulfur because both can be drying to the hair or scalp, depending on the person. most people do as the other posters stated and use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner with dandruff shampoos when i was relaxed i liked the affirm products for dry, itchy scalp and dandruff because they weren't too stripping.

CosmicVisitor

@CosmicVisitor

what was your ratio of sulfur to oil? also i wouldn't be using dandruff shampoos with a sulfur because both can be drying to the hair or scalp, depending on the person. most people do as the other posters stated and use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner with dandruff shampoos when i was relaxed i liked the affirm products for dry, itchy scalp and dandruff because they weren't too stripping.

southerncitygirl

My ratio was 5:1 oil to sulphur.

I guess I really did combine too many anti-dandruff solutions. I'm going to have to be really careful, because my head just doesn't feel good.:nono:

Thanks for the affirm suggestion, too.

southerncitygirl

CosmicVisitor

i think laying off the sulfur is wise for now. use a milder shampoo to wash the next couple of times you shampoo with a sulfate free or low sulfate formula. my stylist used those affirm products on me when it was needed, i'm not sure whether they still make them to be honest i guess you could look on their site. many essential oils are great for dandruff or an overall healthy scalp so why not just stick with that? you may find your dandruff issues are from harsh shampoos or not washing often enough. what is your diet like? that impacts hair and scalp health as well.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
1. Everyone should do a patch test before using a sulfur mixture.
2. Just like combining several acne medications, you shouldn't combine several chemical based anti-dandruff treatments.
3. You said your ratio of oil was 5:1; what does that translate to in ounces or liters? It sounds like you have too much sulfur, because the standard mixture is 8 ounces of oil, to 1 teaspoon on sulfur.

I hope that helps!