Summer 10 Wet Bun Challenge

janda

I have neck length hair that is barely touching my shoulder when straight. :wallbash: How can I wet bun short hair and are there other wet protective styles that can be done?

My hair was NL/ EL when I started. I secure my hair in a ponytail and then wrap a weave weft around it. I then twist the weave hair to make my bun. My avatar is an example.

SimplyLeesh

My hair was NL/ EL when I started. I secure my hair in a ponytail and then wrap a weave weft around it. I then twist the weave hair to make my bun. My avatar is an example.

lilsparkle825 said:
if you use a little "help" (read: fake hair) you can do lots of things. there are buns you can make with fake ponytails, phony buns come pre-made and you can attach them over your ponytail/baggy, heck...you can even get a pack of kanekalon and make the one i posted upthread. i just read about one poster who wrapped a weft around her small bun and secured that with a scrunchie. it looked fab!

Thanks lilsparkle and janda for the advice! I went out today and bought a draw string pony to see how it looks and I love it. my hair is not wet bunned yet because I was experimenting. When I co wash tonight I will be wet bunning and wearing my phony pony! I have pics below..

lilsparkle825

instead of my usual nightly Pocahontas braids, last night after moisturizing, I decided to put my hair in five flat twists. This is what I usually do for twistouts, but I didn't plan on wearing the twistout today. That is....until I took the flat twists out!! My hair looked so wavy and moisturized that I just HAD to take a day off from wet bunning. It's not using a pass, since I rarely take a day off from bunning in the first place. Hopefully the humidity won't have wrecked it before I get the chance to take a pic.

Qurlyqt

Still hangin' in there with the challenge. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been sporting braidouts on the weekend. I desperately needed to break up the bun boredom. I didn't actually begin this challenge until July 1 so I had planned to continue until October 1. However, I think I may just keep going through the end of the year since I'm liking what I'm seeing! Woo Hoo!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
How the heck did I miss this thread?!:nono: I have been doing this for a month and my hair is doing so well! I hope my transition is this easy!:yep:

rockstar

11 more days! Can't wait to see everyone's progress. I'm getting sick of wet bunning, but I don't have too much longer to go. I think I may go the whole 11 days with wet buns!!!!!

rockstar

I lied. No wet bun today, but I do have a cute braid out. I washed my hair, braided my hair in 8 braids using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine.

janda

SimplyLeesh-- your pony is adorable! It blends well with your own hair.

rockstar-- the braidout is really cute!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
i have kinda fallen off from wet/damp bunning b/c i've changed up my baggy method so that hair is not damp anymore in the morning....BUT i moisturize every morning before bunning, does that still count?

rockstar

I ALWAYS LOVE YOUR BRAIDS AND TWISTS. I WANT THEMMMMMM!!!!!

So how'd you go about doing these? SheaMoisture? What products. DO TELL! You make me wanna twist my hair up right now, but I have an assignment due tomorrow!

Qurlyqt

Thanks Rockstar! My hair has been in a bun since I washed it on Monday. I was trying to use up a bottle of Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier and now that the bottle is empty, I think I like it! Anyway, I skipped the Leave In conditioner all together this week and just used the above since it says it moisturizes and conditions. For my twist, I applied more of the PMB, twisted, then sealed the ends with shea butter. HTH

lilsparkle825

Qurlyqt if my two-strand twists looked even halfway as good as yours, I'd be all over this. Super cute....my strands are just too fine, they ain't havin' it!

I switched it up and wore a side part with my side bun today. I used to be the queen of side parts and "swoops".....with my fivehead I HAD to be :lachen: but since I went natural I embraced the largeness and just wear my hair pulled back. It was strange going back to the part today.

Tomorrow I want to wear a really high, really full wet bun. Qurlyqt I saw a few in your Fotki a few weeks ago that I REALLY liked. Off to stalk again!

divachyk

My progress is kinda already out of the bag because of my reveal for the JBCO challenge. My hair has gotten thicker and has grown slightly. I will use the same pic from the JBCO reveal to show progress for the wet bunning challenge. I'm also in hide your hair challenge so I can't be seen too much with my hair out. I haven't really measured to know how many inches gained and probably won't measure until Dec. Visually, I can see a difference so I'm somewhat content. Wet bunning was a little too much for my hair so I had to move toward damp bunning and even that presented challenges. Now, I'm barely damp when I bun. The only dampness I have is from the moisturizer that I apply. All is still going well though. I'll ETA this posting on 21 Sep with my before/after pics.

Last edited:

divachyk

MCrzyGr
Whimsy
lilsparkle825

Ladies --Wet bun question -- how do you get your hair to lay down smooth/slick when wet/damp bunning? My hairs feels all smoth in the shower but when it starts to dry the strands are not laying as flat as they seemed while in the shower. They usually are overlapping and that looks a mess. I like my hair to be slicked down nice and smooth when bunning...no overlapping strands (if that makes sense).