Summer 2010 Braid Challenge - 6/15-9/15

LivingDol1

Hi Ladies, :wave:

I wanted to know if anyone would be up for a Summer Braid Challenge. I was intending to only do my braids for 6 weeks but since it just gets too hot to deal with, and i get plenty of growth by leaving my hair alone, I want to keep them in through September...

The purpose of this challenge is to not only attain length or stretch between relaxers but also to exchange style ideas.

You can do any type of braid:
with extensions, without...
individuals, twists, cornrows, etc...
sew-ins are included if your entire head is cornrowed. no hair left out!

Leave them in for 2 weeks to 6-8 weeks... Whatever works for you.
But the purpose is to keep them in all summer so let's keep breaks to a minimum of a few days up to 2 weeks.

Just post a starting pic of your hair at it's current length, say what you'd like to achieve by keeping your hair in braids for 3 months, and what you want to learn, work on...

Let's try to have our braids in by 6/15, and please post pics of your braids!!

LivingDol1
Madamnatural
SouthernStunner
Yasluvsme
Curly Lee
Aggie
Zuleika
Chameleonchick
Ms.London
dedicatedshopper
lady djm
manter26
LaFemmeNaturelle
justicefighter1913
ms.blue

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

so your goal is "no more challenges" huh? :giggle:

this is kind of a stretch, but would a sew-in be included in this? ya know, since you gotta cornrow your base? the only reason i'm thinking NOT is because in most cases the perimeter and maybe a horseshoe is left out.

LivingDol1

so your goal is "no more challenges" huh? :giggle:

this is kind of a stretch, but would a sew-in be included in this? ya know, since you gotta cornrow your base? the only reason i'm thinking NOT is because in most cases the perimeter and maybe a horseshoe is left out.

hahahaha. :grin: i just had this revelation 10 minutes ago. along with the braids, i feel like i need some order in my life. i think i can handle one challenge for the summer. hehehe.

i think a sew-in is able to be included.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am in and infact I am in braids as we speak. This set doesnt come out until 04 July and I will protein dc, moisture dc, straighten, trim and back in braids or weave the next

yasluvsme

I would love to join.. I have twists in right now.. I initially wanted to go til August but I can stretch until Sept.

Aggie

Ok I'm in. I am hoping to get to APL by the end of the year and need to keep my hands out of my hair for a while and this is the perfect challenge to achieve my goal. The wigs work wonderfully, but I touch my hair wayyy too much with them:nono:. At least with extension braids, I won't be able to touch it so much.

TwistNMx

Good luck to all.
So much for protective styling.
About a week ago, I was in braids for the 3rd week (extentions) and was going for 4 weeks, but I took them out due to a minor neck injury only to find out that my hair started to mat.(sp)
I was shocked beyond belief and did not do anything unusual - just used shea butter on my hair. I thought I was going to lose all of my hair.
Fortunately, I had something that worked but it took 4 hours. :ohwell:
Never again. :sad:
I say this to say that I'm not sure what happened, but I hope your experience with braids are not what happened to me.

aa9746

Good luck ladies, you'll see a lot of growth plus retention. I'm now in the 9th week of braids under my wig and it's the main thing (along with washing, conditioning,etc.) that's helping me to retain my fine/medium strands.:yep:

Chameleonchick

I am in, I will be in some braided style for the rest of the year anyways. I am in a set of twists right now, but at that date if I haven't taken them out yet, I will undo a twist to show the length.

LivingDol1

I am in and infact I am in braids as we speak. This set doesnt come out until 04 July and I will protein dc, moisture dc, straighten, trim and back in braids or weave the next

lovely! please post a pic of your braids. we all wanna see, as we love pictures so much on this forum. :yep:

I'm in! I had cornrows for the last 3 weeks and took them down yesterday and have washed and DC'd. Will be putting cornrows back inon Monday or Tuesday.

lilsparkle825

Good luck to all.
So much for protective styling.
About a week ago, I was in braids for the 3rd week (extentions) and was going for 4 weeks, but I took them out due to a minor neck injury only to find out that my hair started to mat.(sp)
I was shocked beyond belief and did not do anything unusual - just used shea butter on my hair. I thought I was going to lose all of my hair.
Fortunately, I had something that worked but it took 4 hours. :ohwell:
Never again. :sad:
I say this to say that I'm not sure what happened, but I hope your experience with braids are not what happened to me.
How often were you doing this? Were you adding it to your scalp/roots? I had a bit of matting with my last set of senegalese twists (the ones in my avatar) and I only had them in three weeks.....I realized it was because of the Megatek I was putting on my scalp and the braid spray on my roots.

Sorry to say I can't join you guys since all of my hair won't be braided up, but GOOD LUCK!!!

manter26

I think I'll join, just as an extra motivator to stick to the braid challenge. Maybe I'll try a different style for the summer.

LaFemmeNaturelle

If it's not too late, I'd like to join. I'm doing yarn braids this weekend and will keep them in until October probably with a couple of breaks in between.

LivingDol1

it's never too late. :)

are you doing yarn braids yourself and having someone else do them for you?

adding to the list...