Summer 2010 Braid Challenge - 6/15-9/15

ThickRoot

I'm in. I got my hair cornrowed w/extensions on 6/11. When I take these out I'll rest a week and put in some more. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic before we started, but when I take these out next month I'll take a pic and post.

nappytherapy

Please add me to this list. I am currently in box braids (no extensions) I have had them in since May 30. I will be keeping it in for the summer, only re-doing the edges as needed. My camera is outta commission for now, will post pics early next week.

Stats:
Natural APL
3c/4a

Regimen:
Cowash 3 times a week with TJ Nourish Spa (add raw honey and Coconut Oil)
Giovanni Leave In or KBB Hair milk alternate daily

Madamnatural

Happy June 15th everyone. I finished my mini twist on Sunday (but don't have my camera until Thursday, I'll put pictures up)

I don't have a regimen really. I wont be washing this until week 4. I'll be moisturizing every other day with my Shea-coconut mixture and a little bit of Shea amla butter on the ends.

Ms.London

...just took down my month and a half old braids for a henna and deep conditioning treatment and about to put in my next install tomorrow...will post pics later in week

manter26

I finally finished my braids. I went back and forth about whether I should commit b/c I was really loving my wash and goes. With a camping trip next weekend, I figured it was for the best.

Here they are...it took a staggering 5 packs of jumbo braid hair from sally's.

ETA: the light colored pieces go with my "blond" highlights from the Aveda Institute. I asked for dark brown all over and blond highlights. I got black hair and 3 orange lopsided pieces...

Last edited:

manter26

"what you'd like to achieve by keeping your hair in braids for 3 months, and what you want to learn, work on..."

I want to keep my hands out of my hair. Protect my hair... Retain all the way to APL. Stop using heat... And stop using my hair as a reason to not go to the gym.

Last edited:

nikolite

I finally finished my braids. I went back and forth about whether I should commit b/c I was really loving my wash and goes. With a camping trip next weekend, I figured it was for the best.

Here they are...it took a staggering 5 packs of jumbo braid hair from sally's.

ETA: the light colored pieces go with my "blond" highlights from the Aveda Institute. I asked for dark brown all over and blond highlights. I got black hair and 3 orange lopsided pieces...

:love: Love these! Great job!

ms.blue

I don't know why I didn't join this challenge b/c I have been keeping my hair braided on and off but mostly on since January. I put individual braids (my hair no extension) on May 30 and didn't remove them until June 24 (almost a month) and I just today just finished putting another set in and I don't plan on taking them out until the end of July.

Just finished individual braids. Not all the braids are the same size & my parts suck.

My current length

Last edited:

nikolite

I hope its not too late for me to join. I just put in some braids last night. My goal is to retain length and give myself a break from styling. Here are my starting pics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 26

LivingDol1

omigod it's sooo not too late to join. i've been so lazy and i haven't posted a single photo of my new braids which i've had in for 3 weeks now. i will go and take pics now and post them! i have my before pics to post as well.

lovely to see photos of braids though! i'm thinking about what i want to have done for the next set. :)

sapphire74

I would like to join! I just got my braids done and I would like to see how long I can keep them up, I am trying to go at least until September. May can use them to help me transition to natural!

Hey! I'd like to join this challenge if it isn't too late. I've got my braids in and I plan on keeping my hair braided up till October. I'd like to keep getting them done till the end of the year, but I don't know how feasible that will be, we'll see :)

Aggie

I just got my hair braided on Sunday past (June 29th, 2010) and I will try to leave it in for about 7-8 weeks. I want to try this for the rest of this year. I need natural APL hair by December.

PocketVenus

I know I'm a little late to sign up but will be in braids for the summer too. I trimmed off 0.5in - 1in (curly) off my ends and and put in box braids with my own hair today and hope to keep them in as long as possible.

Attachments

• 1a30439f8b103a0a_100_2696.preview.JPG
    1a30439f8b103a0a_100_2696.preview.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 081e7d91a291617e_100_2699.preview.JPG
    081e7d91a291617e_100_2699.preview.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_2709.jpg
    100_2709.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I should have posted pictures of my cornrows that went in June, but forgot and now they are about due to come out. I'm getting relaxed on July 15th and then will install a weave a couple of weeks after that so will post pics then.

manter26

I'm in yarn braids right now. They are so much lighter than the synthetic hair. I'll probably be using these through the end of this challenge.

Lute

Me too.. I got my yarn braids put in on Saturday July 3rd. Going to keep them in for 2.. tryign to push it to 3 months.. or even longer .. if I follow the crown and glory technique.

manter26

Bump bump. How's everyone doing?

I'm in yarn twists right now. Love the look and only took 1/2 a roll of yarn for single strand bsl twists. I get so bored with styles so I think I'm to move onto braids under a wig.

PocketVenus

Sooo, I know I'm not 'officially' a part of this challenge as I joined a little late, but since I'm braiding for the summer, it's nice to have something to refer back to and inspire me to not be lazy. I redid my braids with extension a while back because using my own hair made them fuzz up way faster. Granted the braids I have in now aren't that neat because I'm not that careful, but still it's better with extensions. I've been pretty good about keeping my hair moisturized. I found this AWESOME braid spray for 2.99 at a BSS called "Let's Dred."

It smells really great, almost perfume-y.
And it has great ingredients:
Deionized Water, Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Osopropyl Myristate, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Essential Oil Blend, Herbal Complex, Methyl Paraben, Fragrance.

So I spray that as my leave in and seal with whatever oil I can find. I bun everyday. Its wonderful when I don't have to fuss with my hair. Here are pics of my hair.

Attachments

• 100_2994.jpg
    100_2994.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_2992.jpg
    100_2992.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_3016.jpg
    100_3016.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Aggie

^^^Nice braids PocketVenus. I was thinking of having my braider put this size braids in my hair but I also want some sengalese twists too. Decisions, decisions:look:.

LivingDol1

hey ladies. believe it or not i am still here!! :lol:

i've had my braids in for almost 9 weeks, i think. had them tightened 2 weeks ago(just the edges and center part.

i am going to take them out the 3rd week of august and put them back in after DCing and all of that stuff. and then i'll keep those in until october...

LivingDol1

haha, the challenge that i never participate in...

still wearing these braids... still haven't posted a pic... lmao! i really want to take them out NOW though even though i just got them put in in August.... barely a month. my edges are getting pretty loose. i have a trip to miami in october (i think) and i was going to keep them in until my trip was over.... but.... i might take them out early.... i will have 6 months of NG, i think. haven't relaxed since march.

i am already fantasizing about what i want to do with my hair. i will probably get a relaxer touch up. i want a minimal trim. i want to play with color because i haven't dyed my hair in about 10 years... i think some lighter color could warm me up a bit.

Aggie

^^no updates here unfortunately:sad::nono:.

I am wearing my hair in big braids under my wigs now and I have no idea when I will be getting my hair braided with extensions again.