Summer 2018 No Direct Heat Challenge (6/21-9/22)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I don’t know how much of a challenge it will really be, because it doesn’t seem like there are that many people who really use heat regularly, but just something fun to do for the summer.

Guidelines:
-Starts June 21st, ends September 22nd
-Only 3 direct heat passes allowed (blowdryer, flatiron, curling wand, etc.)-You must post when you use a heat pass
-Indirect heat is fine (e.g. hooded dryer to help DC's penetrate or dry braidouts faster), but try to limit your use to 1x a week and keep it on cool or warm
-Protective styles, low manipulation, wearing your hair out, wigs, weaves, braids-doesn't matter how you're wearing your hair

Info: (Fill this out to join)

Hair type/current length:
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?):
Routine:
Primary styles:

Anyone interested in hanging out with me?

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Right on time! I've been on a no heat challenge and really wanted to push out until September in the hopes to notice some new length next time I do straighten. I've been a straightened natural for EIGHT YEARS and I finally started working towards getting to know my curls and most importantly growing out some long, thick hurr.

I'm at a little under two months no heat now.

Hair type/current length: 3c/4a, SL
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): I want to continue growing out heat damage from my weave leave-outs, not incur any more heat damage, and retain my ends. I also want to wait until I achieve a brand new length goal to straighten again so that I can really appreciate it. :3
Routine: (Summer Routine): Daily cowash, moisturize & seal. Shampoo (sulfate-free) 1x weekly followed by DC.
Primary styles: Sock bun. That's literally it. All the time. Forever.:cry2:

FoxxyLocs

Does diffusing count if it's on low? I guess I could diffuse on cool instead. I'm mostly air drying now anyway.

The last time I straightened was in February, but I've used the diffuser on low or cool several times since then.

My ultimate goal is to finish the year without straightening.

Hair type/current length: 4a, TBL
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): I want to get more comfortable styling my natural hair and I'm still working on perfecting my wash and go.
Routine: (Summer Routine): No shampoo. Co-wash 1-2x/wk. Clay wash monthly. DC 1-2x/mo.
Primary styles: wash and go, twists, twist outs, braid outs. Buns if I'm being lazy.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Right on time! I've been on a no heat challenge and really wanted to push out until September in the hopes to notice some new length next time I do straighten. I've been a straightened natural for EIGHT YEARS and I finally started working towards getting to know my curls and most importantly growing out some long, thick hurr.

I'm at a little under two months no heat now.

Hair type/current length: 3c/4a, SL
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): I want to continue growing out heat damage from my weave leave-outs, not incur any more heat damage, and retain my ends. I also want to wait until I achieve a brand new length goal to straighten again so that I can really appreciate it. :3
Routine: (Summer Routine): Daily cowash, moisturize & seal. Shampoo (sulfate-free) 1x weekly followed by DC.
Primary styles: Sock bun. That's literally it. All the time. Forever.:cry2:
Thanks for joining! Do you want to try new styles? Maybe I could post a few videos that might help.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Does diffusing count if it's on low? I guess I could diffuse on cool instead. I'm mostly air drying now anyway.

The last time I straightened was in February, but I've used the diffuser on low or cool several times since then.

My ultimate goal is to finish the year without straightening.

Hair type/current length: 4a, TBL
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): I want to get more comfortable styling my natural hair and I'm still working on perfecting my wash and go.
Routine: (Summer Routine): No shampoo. Co-wash 1-2x/wk. Clay wash monthly. DC 1-2x/mo.
Primary styles: wash and go, twists, twist outs, braid outs. Buns if I'm being lazy.
Diffusing on cool or low would be fine for the challenge :yep:

what benefits have you found from avoiding shampoo?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Natural 4a/b and shoulder length

I really want to prove myself that i can do without heat and i know that my hair is better off when i avoid heat.

Routine:
Shampoo and DC once weekly, then style. If that initial style doesn't last, I usually cowash and then bun until the end of the week. Or cowash and do another style.

Primary styles:
Flexirod sets, braid and curls, braidouts, twistouts, buns.

I anticipate using a heat pass for my cousin's wedding and then one more for my own wedding.
:drunk:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i did a braid and curl last night without using the hooded dryer at all-which is great! Now I know that if I start styling before 10 pm, my style can be dry.

LdyKamz

I want to join. I was planning on blow drying and trimming on Saturday but maybe I'll do it tomorrow instead so I can have a fresh start for the challenge.

Hair type/current length: 4b/twa

Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): I really just want to see how my hair holds up and what my curl pattern looks like as it grows out. I'm really curious about the front of my hair since it seems to get looser as it gets longer.

Routine: Wash and deep condition 1x a week and a mid-week cowash. I always feel like I do a lot to my hair but when I write it out it really isn't that much at all

Primary styles: Bantu knot out. This is my signature style but also it's all I can really do at the moment anyway. I can't bun, can't do 2 cornrows, can barely use my perm rods and flexi rods but I'm almost there for these.

FoxxyLocs

Diffusing on cool or low would be fine for the challenge :yep:

what benefits have you found from avoiding shampoo?

I'm good then. I don't even have to use any passes.

Shampoo makes my hair so frizzy. I have zero curl definition after shampooing except at the very ends. It's doesn't matter when I wear braid outs etc., but it was killing my wash and go. Since I stopped using it I also feel like my hair retains moisture better. It feels softer and stays soft for longer between washes.

Previously I was shampooing every two weeks. So it wasn't excessive, but I definitely like my hair better without it.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Thanks for joining! Do you want to try new styles? Maybe I could post a few videos that might help.

I sure do! I experiment with braid-outs occasionally but I find they only close to work on blown out hair. I only blow out on cold these days, but it's still less than low manipulation for me so it's not quite what I'm looking for. Styles where I keep my hair tucked away are my best bet, just not a lot of variety there.

Dee-Licious

The 3 heat passes is what makes me think this will work for me.

Hair type/current length: slightly above APL
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): healthy ends at APL or a little under
Routine: pre-poo or deep condition with each wash. Try to use my steamer at least every two weeks. Do a better job of moisturizing at night.
Primary styles: stretched with curlformers and then twisted for twistout or rolled for permrod out or flexirod out.

LdyKamz

I blow dried and trimmed yesterday. I didn't really need to do a lot since my ends look really good. The only thing I don't like is my knots never stay with the such even ends. I end up using a whole pack of bobby pins to hold them in place. :lol:

Dee-Licious

Thinking of using a heat pass today for a starting length check but then it’s raining so idk.....
I was just about to tell you it doesn't start until July, but the title says 7/21 and the first posts says June 21.

When does it start?
I'll be using two passes too quickly if it's starts today :lol:

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Natural 3c/4a and above shoulder length

Improved Curl definition. Smoother cuticle for shinier and healthier looking hair.

Routine:
Curly Proverbz X Belle Bar / Ayurvedic hair routine.

Primary styles:
Wash n go, faux bun, and twists style.

No heat. I will be deep conditioning and using curlformers using a hooded dryer.

PlanetCybertron

Routine:
Primary styles:

Hairtype: Very very fine textured, mostly 4a, highly porous, relaxed.

Current length: 32 inches. 5-6 inches from classic.

Goals: I haven’t used heat in over a year since my last heat pass. Occasionally I’ll do a proper flat iron for when me and hubby go out for dinner or something fancy, but I only allow two heat passes a year, and I usually only use one. I guess a goal to have would be to stretch my heat passes? Instead of 2 heat passes a year I could go down to one heat pass a year. I already used one for my hubby and I’s anniversary in Feb.

Routine:

It’s been modified a lot since I’ve found products and techniques that go well with frequent washing, while balancing protein and moisture.

•Spritz scalp and roots with diluted shampoo, massage for a few mins
•Rinse with conditioner
• Deep condition (moisture)
•Rinse
•Protein coating treatment, or ceramide/Collagen protein leave in.
•Air dry

Primary style: Buns

However this year I’ve been installing pigtail braids, English braids, or four Small braids. I’m aiming to leave the smaller four braids in for two weeks, to see how long I can stretch washing, and save product. Because I go through product like it’s nothing.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I was just about to tell you it doesn't start until July, but the title says 7/21 and the first posts says June 21.

When does it start?
I'll be using two passes too quickly if it's starts today :lol:
Oh no!! I need to fix that, it’s definitely June. Thanks :lol: and you have three passes.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I blow dried and trimmed yesterday. I didn't really need to do a lot since my ends look really good. The only thing I don't like is my knots never stay with the such even ends. I end up using a whole pack of bobby pins to hold them in place. :lol:
Blow dried hair + freshly trimmed ends would definitely be quite slippery to hold Bantu knots lol

Dee-Licious

I used a heat pass last night for an important meeting this morning.

I’ll cancel my upcoming press appointment since I had to use heat last night.

My ends were in great shape!!! I definitely want to baby them over this summer to keep this going. My trim was in early May, but they truly look great.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I used a pass and immediately regretted it. I was all excited about trying out my new flatiron, but it was so humid yesterday my hair was reverting AS I straightened it :lol: or maybe it was just way too hot and steamy in my bathroom. I slapped a DC back in and did a flexirod set instead.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Natural 3c/4a and above shoulder length

Improved Curl definition. Smoother cuticle for shinier and healthier looking hair.

Routine:
Curly Proverbz X Belle Bar / Ayurvedic hair routine.

Primary styles:
Wash n go, faux bun, and twists style.

No heat. I will be deep conditioning and using curlformers using a hooded dryer.
Out of curiousity @TamaraShaniece how do you do the faux bun?

Daina

Hair type/current length: 3C/4A WHiP length
Goals (what do you want to achieve not using heat this summer?): Continued increase in thickness, strength and length
Routine: Cleanse weekly alternating co-washing and clay cleansing; deep condition every week; cassia/ayurvedic glosses 1x per month
Primary styles: For the summer I will alternate wash and go's, wash and go ponytails, buns and twist outs

LdyKamz

So I'm washing and deep conditioning today and I am still in the twa phase but I'm going to see if I can attempt my 2 braids on brushed out damp hair. I realize now 2 braids is the only protective style that helps me retain length. And I need something easy during no heat. Bantu knots are not exactly a wham bam thank you ma'am style. My hair is too short to bun and even if it was longer bunning never works for me long term (sensitive nape and edges) So usually I just gather hair on both sides and braid but I am going to do a full part down the middle this time. I need all the help I can get to make this work at this length because I don't normally start wearing this style until I'm NL.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Using 1 heat pass today. Earlier than I wanted to, but I gotta go back to my old work place and urgently need to deliver some hair flips. I will probably condition it lovingly afterwards and try some dutch braids on straight hair since I now have the chance.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
So I'm washing and deep conditioning today and I am still in the twa phase but I'm going to see if I can attempt my 2 braids on brushed out damp hair. I realize now 2 braids is the only protective style that helps me retain length. And I need something easy during no heat. Bantu knots are not exactly a wham bam thank you ma'am style. My hair is too short to bun and even if it was longer bunning never works for me long term (sensitive nape and edges) So usually I just gather hair on both sides and braid but I am going to do a full part down the middle this time. I need all the help I can get to make this work at this length because I don't normally start wearing this style until I'm NL.
Maybe stretched hair could help you achieve that?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
It was so hot and humid yesterday I decided to just slick my hair down and wear a bun to this wedding I went to with FH. I attached some kinky hair to make it fuller and it was a pretty nice look. The wedding was outside, no shade, and during the hottest part of the day. I am so glad I didn’t bother doing too much styling because it would have been a total waste.

LdyKamz

So I did the 2 braids and they lasted all of 1 day. I had to do them over yesterday and it lasted 1 day again. That's because my hair is too short in the back. I'm gonna have to wait a few weeks and try again. So today I did a wash and go. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I did learn some things though. 1. Damp hair is best because I can sit under my hooded dryer for about 10 maybe 15 minutes and my hair is completely dry. 2. I also learned once and for all the front of my hair is not going to curl back up as it gets longer. I have to accept that the front of my hair is wavy not curly or coily. 3. Wash and gos might be a no because I am worried about tangles and retention. And also because since the front of my hair doesn't match with the rest of my springy 4b curls it won't look right anyway. I am going to rinse tomorrow morning and probably try some alternate wash and go styles until the end of the week.

Daina

So I did the 2 braids and they lasted all of 1 day. I had to do them over yesterday and it lasted 1 day again. That's because my hair is too short in the back. I'm gonna have to wait a few weeks and try again. So today I did a wash and go. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I did learn some things though. 1. Damp hair is best because I can sit under my hooded dryer for about 10 maybe 15 minutes and my hair is completely dry. 2. I also learned once and for all the front of my hair is not going to curl back up as it gets longer. I have to accept that the front of my hair is wavy not curly or coily. 3. Wash and gos might be a no because I am worried about tangles and retention. And also because since the front of my hair doesn't match with the rest of my springy 4b curls it won't look right anyway. I am going to rinse tomorrow morning and probably try some alternate wash and go styles until the end of the week.

The front of my hair won't let me be great either! I have started wearing wash and go ponytails that last me all week.

LdyKamz

I have to get myself together if I am going to stick to using my hooded dryer 1x a week. That never used to be a problem and I would only use it to DC. Barely even that even though my deep conditioners do better with heat. Now that I actually have to use it 1x a week I call myself wanting to experiment and can't be walking around with soaking wet hair.

I used my hooded dryer Sunday and again yesterday for my wash and go. Am I in trouble? :( Sunday starts a new week right? :look: That's when I will be washing and deep conditioning. I'll have to start thinking up how I'm going to wear my hair next week.