Summer Braid Suggestion

leona2025

Ok here is the problem I am getting my hair done like the picture below accept I want it braided up into a ponytail. I can't decide if I should just do it on my natural hair or if I should have hair added in.

I think if I just do it on my natural hair the ponytail may come out looking thin. Plus there are a lot of buns I want to try with these braids that I currently can't do because my hair isn't long enough. I'm waiting to try out that pretzel bun. What do ya'll think?

Tinkerbell19

Ok here is the problem I am getting my hair done like the picture below accept I want it braided up into a ponytail. I can't decide if I should just do it on my natural hair or if I should have hair added in.

I think if I just do it on my natural hair the ponytail may come out looking thin. Plus there are a lot of buns I want to try with these braids that I currently can't do because my hair isn't long enough. I'm waiting to try out that pretzel bun. What do ya'll think?

I dont see a pic below.

Nonie

Oooh pretty! My sis had that same do. I think it's darling. OK what was your question again? :lachen: *scrolling up to see*

It looks like the model had hair added using the feed-in method so if I were doing it, I'd do the same for the same reasons you mention: length and thus more styling options.

leona2025

Oooh pretty! My sis had that same do. I think it's darling. OK what was your question again? :lachen: *scrolling up to see*

It looks like the model had hair added using the feed-in method so if I were doing it, I'd do the same for the same reasons you mention: length and thus more styling options.

Lol thanks for the Pm. I'm so absent minded. My sister and husband and mom think that I should just use my hair, but I want the braids to look somewhat uniform and I know I have layers cut in my hair. Plus you have to have super long hair for some of those buns on youtube and am not willing to deal with my hair being that long so this a healthy alternative. I can't wait to try the braided chinese bun and Tracyee's Signature bun:grin:.

Nonie

Lol thanks for the Pm. I'm so absent minded. My sister and husband and mom think that I should just use my hair, but I want the braids to look somewhat uniform and I know I have layers cut in my hair. Plus you have to have super long hair for some of those buns on youtube and am not willing to deal with my hair being that long so this a healthy alternative. I can't wait to try the braided chinese bun and Tracyee's Signature bun:grin:.

If you wanna do like your mom says, I wonder if it would work just adding the extension hair at the ends? But I think that might be a lot of weight that your hair at the tails will have to bear--not unlike single braid extensions. The good thing with feed in cornrows is I imagine the extension hair's weight is spread over the cornrow so it's not just all being born at the dangling part.... I don't know if I'm making sense or accurate in my deduction.

leona2025

If you wanna do like your mom says, I wonder if it would work just adding the extension hair at the ends? But I think that might be a lot of weight that your hair at the tails will have to bear--not unlike single braid extensions. The good thing with feed in cornrows is I imagine the extension hair's weight is spread over the cornrow so it's not just all being born at the dangling part.... I don't know if I'm making sense or accurate in my deduction.

I wasn't even thinking about that, but it seems logical:yep:. I am definitely getting the extenstions through out.

dlewis

What's the feed in method?

leona2025

Usually when you add hair into corn rows you start braiding with the hair when you begin the braid and you use it the whole braid. This causes a s hump to be where you originally started the braid (example1), when you do feed in you start the braid with just your natural hair and you gradually add in the braid hair as you go so you don't get the hump and braids look more natural . Both ways look nice. I like that ponytail.

xe1.jpg

Nonie

It's the braiding method that makes the difference between having braids that have a knot at the start and that make it so obvious that you have extensions (notice how fat the start of the cornrow is):

and braids that start off smoothly and look more natural. Hair is added to the braid in stages along the way.

I give a link to how it's done here.

Last edited: