Summer Hair Care Tips (David Evangelista) - Add Yours!!!

loolalooh

Please add your tips to the list!!!:grin:

The summer is fast approaching. As many of us know, the season can be both good and bad for the hair depending on how prepared you are. Here's a snippet of tips from David Evangelista (stylist to the stars). For more on summer hair care, check out the link below .... I think I'll try the olive oil trick :grinwink: ...

"First, it's important to prep your hair before you head out into the sun (or pool or ocean). An old lifeguard trick is to wet your hair with water (tap or spring) before swimming. If you do, dulling chlorine and salt water won't be able permeate the hair membrane. Make sure you carry a bottle of water with you so you can wet your hair throughout the day before jumping in for a swim — a big, water-filled spray bottle is a good option to throw in your beach tote.

It's also important to protect your scalp from the sun, so you don't burn and turn into a flaky mess. A quick trick: Take a bottle of spray, no-rub suntan lotion and spray at the roots of your hair, where your scalp is exposed. It doesn't take a lot of spraying, and if you use a clear spray, it lessens the mess.

You can also use some products on your hair that block UV rays from frying it. Companies such as Frederick Fekkai, Kerastase, Redken and Biolage all have products, from sprays to gels, that contain a UV shield that will protect your hair from root to end. Another trick: Using a wide-tooth comb, comb olive oil through you hair and slick it back. You'll be giving yourself a hot-oil treatment in the sun, and the sun won't be able to get through the olive oil to the cuticle.

Once your hair and scalp are covered, what should you do with your hair when you're out in the summer sun? The best tip, of course, is to wear a hat or wrap your head in a scarf. But, if it's too hot to do either, wearing your hair down isn't a great idea: Wind at the beach also damages hair, so your best bet is to pull hair back.
"

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/16/earlyshow/contributors/davidevangelista/main3061441.shtml

drasgrl

It's also important to protect your scalp from the sun, so you don't burn and turn into a flaky mess. A quick trick: Take a bottle of spray, no-rub suntan lotion and spray at the roots of your hair, where your scalp is exposed. It doesn't take a lot of spraying, and if you use a clear spray, it lessens the mess.

I never thought to use this.

onyxdreams

You can also use some products on your hair that block UV rays from frying it. Companies such as Frederick Fekkai, Kerastase, Redken and Biolage all have products, from sprays to gels, that contain a UV shield that will protect your hair from root to end. Another trick: Using a wide-tooth comb, comb olive oil through you hair and slick it back. You'll be giving yourself a hot-oil treatment in the sun, and the sun won't be able to get through the olive oil to the cuticle.

I will use this tip all summer, thank you for the information

loolalooh

Bump!!! I see a couple new threads about swimming, chlorine, and hair. The lifeguard trick can be very useful.