Summer Preparation For Your Hair

mscocoface

My DH and I went to the beach this morning in his toy (dosen't matter the type of of car, but note that it had drop top)

So of course, I pick up my hat with the wide brim because I know it is going to be a very warm day.

I went to put that thing on my head and a big WARNING went off in my mind...Do not put that thing on your head without placing a headband on those edges or you will be very sorry Missy!:nono:

Needless, to say I went and placed my headband around my edges before I put my hat on because I did not want my already weak and slow growing edges to take a downward spiral.:nono:

So it got me to thinking, what are some of the things we need to be mindful of during the summer months. Natural and non naturals please add to the thread so that we ALL can learn and probably save some hair from the woes of summer styles and fashions.

Now I am going to recommend tips for naturals since that is what I am but everyone can add to this.

Here are my tips: I imagine naturals and non naturals can use these two tips.

No. 1: ALWAYS wear a head band around your edges before you place a hat or cap on your head. Go and get some cheap head bands all different colors to match your hats if you want. (tip-place some of those head bands in your glove compartment or purse just in case you forget):yep:

No. 2: Place some of your hair moisturizer or hair spritz in a small spray bottle and keep that in your purse or in your glove compartment to keep your edges and hair misted during these hot summer days. Even some vegetable glycerine and some distilled water or rose water is better than nothing.

No. 3: During the summer months use more of your lighter oils for hot oil treatments since you won't have to deal with the same weather conditions as the winter months.

Okay what are your tips for the summer months? :yep:

Simply_Kelz

If you can, use a leave-in/moisturizer with UV Protection, even if it's not that high. Better than none at all. Hair can get fried too!:yep:

ajargon02

My DH and I went to the beach this morning in his toy (dosen't matter the type of of car, but note that it had drop top)

So of course, I pick up my hat with the wide brim because I know it is going to be a very warm day.

I went to put that thing on my head and a big WARNING went off in my mind...Do not put that thing on your head without placing a headband on those edges or you will be very sorry Missy!:nono:

Needless, to say I went and placed my headband around my edges before I put my hat on because I did not want my already weak and slow growing edges to take a downward spiral.:nono:

So it got me to thinking, what are some of the things we need to be mindful of during the summer months. Natural and non naturals please add to the thread so that we ALL can learn and probably save some hair from the woes of summer styles and fashions.

Now I am going to recommend tips for naturals since that is what I am but everyone can add to this.

Here are my tips: I imagine naturals and non naturals can use these two tips.

No. 1: ALWAYS wear a head band around your edges before you place a hat or cap on your head. Go and get some cheap head bands all different colors to match your hats if you want. (tip-place some of those head bands in your glove compartment or purse just in case you forget):yep:

No. 2: Place some of your hair moisturizer or hair spritz in a small spray bottle and keep that in your purse or in your glove compartment to keep your edges and hair misted during these hot summer days. Even some vegetable glycerine and some distilled water or rose water is better than nothing.

No. 3: During the summer months use more of your lighter oils for hot oil treatments since you won't have to deal with the same weather conditions as the winter months.

Okay what are your tips for the summer months? :yep:

ITA with all thoes, and do them now. The only tweak I have on my headbands, I use satin wraps. I don't wanna use the cotton to muck up my edges more, ya know? GREAT TIPS!!! here's mine.....

When going to the beach or pool, besure to coat your hair in conditioner.
This will help ease the stress of the salt water or chlorine in the water. Also be sure to rinse right away when your done. I know at the beach they have these outdoor shower things, and I will do a quick conditioner wash after throughly rinsing my hair.

Don't be afraid to use protective styling at the beach or pool such as a bun, french braid, or twists.
I have noticed that my hair if left out while at either the beach or pool, can be so tangled up If I let it free after a day of sun and fun. This will help your detangle afterward go easy peasy.

JustKiya

Watch out for those open car windows and the wind whipping through your hair. It does feel DIVINE, but the wind is tugging, tearing, yanking and drying out your ends. :yep:

freshlikemoi

I know the sweat from the heat can truly make your edges a bit frizzy. But refrain from reheating your edges and roots. Try more natural cutesy styles for the summer. Perhaps, some cute braids or a sew in.

productjunkie814

Ditto on the hair mist. I am newly natural and I've been carrying around a little spray bottle with a rosewater, aloe juice, and veggie glycerin mix. My hair has never been more moisturized or felt so soft!

ImFree27

when I wear hats I wear a satin bonnet. I also wear french braids with some conditioner in it and just a bun, with conditioner, shea butter, and coconut oil, a little goes a long way in the summer, you don't wont your face to be lookin all greasy like fried chicken. lol.

Casarela

my preparation is very simple by:

Co wash+ cornrows on and off+ one moisturizer and my silk scarf at night and Im good 2 go!