SUPER DRY HAIR HELP!!!

BeautyGoesDutch

Hey Ladies (And Gents)

My hair is really dry lately I don't know what's going on. These are the products I've been using

Taliah Waajid-Black Earth Shampoo
Pantene Curly Series-Just Got this one, only used it twice
Tresmme Naturals-Been using this one for a little while now
Motions CPR-I don't use this every week I only use this once or twice a month

Elasta QP Mange Butter Oil-I've been using this for a week so I don't know what it's doing I don't think it is doing any harm.

Please Ladies help me with some products that I can buy in bss or stores like (Walgreens,CVS,Walmart) Please give me a moisture based regimen I'm in desperate need of it.

JBunnie

When is the last time you clarified your hair? Build up will prevent products from doing what they are intended to do.
I'm not all to familiar with any of the products you listed except the Tresemme Naturals, which I've heard many raves about, but I can't really say much about the products you're currently using.
But after clarifying DC with a good moisture condish. One that's an actual DC not just leaving a rinse out in for a long time.
I use MoroccanOil Intense Hydrating Mask (which I added SAA too). It's pricey but worth it. And you can always search one of the many DC threads on here if you want something more economical. Then I seal it with grapeseed oil and follow this method for the DC. Afterwards I cool and seal. After I rinse my hair clean I add some KCNT to each section of my hair then AVJ rinse. Then I get out the shower, let all that absorb into my hair for like 15 minutes then add more leave in (Modified Kimmaytube leave in. 1 part KCNT 1 part AVJ 1/2 part jojoba oil and again I add SAA to mine) and seal with Argan oil. Since the winter started I use a cream styler to help combat the cold by sealing in the moisture with something thick.
I also started exclusively cowashing for the winter. Though I never had dryness issues when I was shampooing weekly switching to cowashing has made a noticeable difference and I'm going to continue to do so even when the weather warms back up. I just listen to my hair for when I need to shampoo to clarify.
Once or twice a week I moisturize and seal with plain KNCT and Argan oil.

Hopefully something in here will help, whether it's technique or product!

Evolving78

where is your moisturizing conditioner? and are your products water based, or water and some oil/butter based? you are using protein conditioner and no moisturizing conditioner. and you are using oils and butters to seal your hair and no true moisturizer.

kinkycurlygurl

Hey Ladies (And Gents)

My hair is really dry lately I don't know what's going on. These are the products I've been using

Elasta QP Mange Butter Oil-I've been using this for a week so I don't know what it's doing I don't think it is doing any harm.

Please Ladies help me with some products that I can buy in bss or stores like (Walgreens,CVS,Walmart) Please give me a moisture based regimen I'm in desperate need of it.

Hi OP,
Sorry to hear about the dryness problem.

You could try:

I don't know where you are, but in my neck of the woods it's been bitter cold. Wear hats or some other hair covering when you go out. That cold, dry air sucks the mixture out of the hair.

Don't use shampoo during the cold weather. It could contribute to dry hair. Instead cowash or wash with just water.

Finally, seal damp hair with your favorite oil and let it air dry.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ellebelle88

BeautyGoesDutch

I would suggest you invest in a hydrating deep conditioner. Either Biolage Ultra Hydrating Conditioning Balm or the Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque (both from Sallys). They both are fabulous! Deep condition with them for at least 30 minutes with heat or 3 hours without.

Also, do a pre-poo BEFORE you wash your hair. I use ORS Hair Mayonnaise or nothing but sunflower oil.

After you wash your hair, I would suggest using a leave-in of the Tresemme Naturals, mixed with coconut oil or sunflower oil to keep your hair moisturized.

If you want super soft, moisturized hair incorporate ceramides! I prepooed with nothing but sunflower oil on my hair and it made my hair ridiculously soft. I'm still amazed.

Natty_Virgo

Maybe adding honey to your dc. I know my hair cannot tolerate shea butter and will look super dry.

Sent from my S3 using LHCF

BeautyGoesDutch

When is the last time you clarified your hair? Build up will prevent products from doing what they are intended to do.
I'm not all to familiar with any of the products you listed except the Tresemme Naturals, which I've heard many raves about, but I can't really say much about the products you're currently using.
But after clarifying DC with a good moisture condish. One that's an actual DC not just leaving a rinse out in for a long time.
I use MoroccanOil Intense Hydrating Mask (which I added SAA too). It's pricey but worth it. And you can always search one of the many DC threads on here if you want something more economical. Then I seal it with grapeseed oil and follow this method for the DC. Afterwards I cool and seal. After I rinse my hair clean I add some KCNT to each section of my hair then AVJ rinse. Then I get out the shower, let all that absorb into my hair for like 15 minutes then add more leave in (Modified Kimmaytube leave in. 1 part KCNT 1 part AVJ 1/2 part jojoba oil and again I add SAA to mine) and seal with Argan oil. Since the winter started I use a cream styler to help combat the cold by sealing in the moisture with something thick.
I also started exclusively cowashing for the winter. Though I never had dryness issues when I was shampooing weekly switching to cowashing has made a noticeable difference and I'm going to continue to do so even when the weather warms back up. I just listen to my hair for when I need to shampoo to clarify.
Once or twice a week I moisturize and seal with plain KNCT and Argan oil.

Hopefully something in here will help, whether it's technique or product!

Yes I do clarify my hair with a sulfate free cleanser. I'm not understanding this at all I'm so baffled. Thank you for the advice

BeautyGoesDutch

where is your moisturizing conditioner? and are your products water based, or water and some oil/butter based? you are using protein conditioner and no moisturizing conditioner. and you are using oils and butters to seal your hair and no true moisturizer.

I forgot to list my moisturizer sorry,

Elasta QP Recovery,The Great Detangler or Curly Curl Cream. No I don't use a moisturizing Conditioner,what is one you suggest?

BeautyGoesDutch

Hi OP,
Sorry to hear about the dryness problem.

You could try:

I don't know where you are, but in my neck of the woods it's been bitter cold. Wear hats or some other hair covering when you go out. That cold, dry air sucks the mixture out of the hair.

Don't use shampoo during the cold weather. It could contribute to dry hair. Instead cowash or wash with just water.

Finally, seal damp hair with your favorite oil and let it air dry.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

I live in Tx Thanks for advice

BeautyGoesDutch

BeautyGoesDutch

I would suggest you invest in a hydrating deep conditioner. Either Biolage Ultra Hydrating Conditioning Balm or the Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque (both from Sallys). They both are fabulous! Deep condition with them for at least 30 minutes with heat or 3 hours without.

Also, do a pre-poo BEFORE you wash your hair. I use ORS Hair Mayonnaise or nothing but sunflower oil.

After you wash your hair, I would suggest using a leave-in of the Tresemme Naturals, mixed with coconut oil or sunflower oil to keep your hair moisturized.

If you want super soft, moisturized hair incorporate ceramides! I prepooed with nothing but sunflower oil on my hair and it made my hair ridiculously soft. I'm still amazed.

Thank you I'm going to try this because the feel and the look of my hair is just sooo dry.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
When I had this problem my ends were primarily the problem and I would:

1. Axe all products with protein for the time being
2. Hot oil treatment with your favorite oil
3. Clarify (clarifying/Chelating) shampoo
4. DC with heat or overnight with a very moisturizing conditioner like Joico Moisture Recovery Balm, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, Matrix Conditioning Balm. Mix with Roux Porosity Control Conditioner and a Ceramide oil (grapeseed, safflower, sunflower wheat germ, hemp, etc.).
5. Moisturizing creamy water based leave-in. I sometimes seal with a serum but if you don't use cones you can seal with an oil. Air dry and use a moisturizer and seal again with oil in small sections to get every strand. It's a lengthy process but its worth it. Dry hair is no joke and no fun.

I have fine low/med density hair and its never weighed down with this moisture recovery regimen. Don't be heavy handed with either of the products and concentrate on your ends. I'm usually liberal with my leave-in because no matter how much I use, it's never too much.

Good luck and let us know how every thing turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

BeautyGoesDutch

here's my suggestions:

get a humidifier

trim your hair every 3 months anywhere btw 1/8-1/2 inch.

aubrey's condtioners can also be used as dc's j.a.y, honeysucklerose and gbp are excellent ( vitacost.com and vitamin shoppe have them cheapest)

you can use blackstrap molasses in place of honey in your dc's for an added kick.

i would moisturize and seal or do the loc method (lotion or liquid, oil, and cream/butter) claudies revitalizer and hairitage hydrations make good moisturizers and butters. we also have a member discount via this forum.

i would start pre-pooing as well. chicoro has a moisture drenched pre-poo recipe somewhere around here.

i'll tag you in threads where we get discounts in the vendor forum,girlie. hth

gssilver

I would give African Prides' Shea Butter Miracle Leave In Conditioner (should be at Walmart or somewhere like that)a try. It's under 6 bucks I think and about 50% of it is chocked filled with super moisturizing ingredients (if you don't mind a few silicones and such in the ingredients). It's not a deep conditioner but if you apply it to your hair like one and use a little heat for 20 min. or so, it'll give you a really moisturizing treatment.
I would also suggest once a week applying a good water based moisturizer and putting on a plastic cap on for 1/2 - hour - you can place a winter cap/bonnet on top for an even warmer conditioning. That one really helped me out when my hair was really dry.

Kindheart

I would give African Prides' Shea Butter Miracle Leave In Conditioner (should be at Walmart or somewhere like that)a try. It's under 6 bucks I think and about 50% of it is chocked filled with super moisturizing ingredients (if you don't mind a few silicones and such in the ingredients). It's not a deep conditioner but if you apply it to your hair like one and use a little heat for 20 min. or so, it'll give you a really moisturizing treatment.
I would also suggest once a week applying a good water based moisturizer and putting on a plastic cap on for 1/2 - hour - you can place a winter cap/bonnet on top for an even warmer conditioning. That one really helped me out when my hair was really dry.

This is a good line ,the shampoo is also great

Ari8

Hi, OP

My hair has been dry as a bone since the cold weather set in a few months ago, and my usual DC (Giovanni SAS) isn't working. I finally got some moisture back into my hair yesterday by DC'ing on dry hair with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose for about 20 min. My hair was tangle-free and shiny. Then I smoothed a cheapie oil blend onto my damp hair; it's a blend of olive, castor, safflower and sweet almond oils. It's day two and I actually didn't need to moisturize.

I'd try the Aubrey O. products. In addition to HSR, I remember having some success with their White Camellia conditioner, although I'm not sure whether it's still sold in stores. HSR can be purchased at either Whole Foods or the Vitamin Shoppe.

pinkness27

My hair stylist recommended Hawaiian Silky, but it is not working for me. I apply it like a relaxer. My hair soaks it up and the next day my hair, especially the scalp, is still very dry.

I wanted to try oils. What are some good oils that are light but moisturizing? Something that can be thinned and sprayed if it is not light? I recently bought Moroccan Argan oil...will this work?

I have Aubrey Organics GBP. Should I buy the other Aubrey conditioners and use that as a deep conditioner instead since GBP is a light protein conditioner?

Thanks for your help guys.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Hey Ladies (And Gents)

I don't know about the other two products, but the ones in red have protein and silicones in them. If you're not using a purely moisturizing conditioner or cream afterwards, that would cause dryness and breakage.