Support thread for CONSTANT shedders

OneInAMillion

I've been having a terrible bout with shedding that started about 2 weeks ago. I'm fighting it, but I'm very worried that all my hard work getting my hair thick is going down the drain. I was wondering how long this usually lasts? I don't ever remember shedding like this before.

SoOoNY

Hey all,

I am new to this so I have no clue how to reply but I shed all the time! I recently cut my APL hair cause I was a chronic colorer and I decided I need a fresh start. I HATE IT:wallbash:. I thought the cut who stop the shedding but now I have shoulder length hair that sheds and doesnt grow. I have noticed before that Pantene Breakage Defense helped my hair stop shedding. As soon as I finish this bottle of Garnier Fructis I am gonna go back to it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I need as much help as possible to achieve my BSL... I think I have a long way to go!:perplexed

OneInAMillion

Hey all,

I am new to this so I have no clue how to reply but I shed all the time! I recently cut my APL hair cause I was a chronic colorer and I decided I need a fresh start. I HATE IT:wallbash:. I thought the cut who stop the shedding but now I have shoulder length hair that sheds and doesnt grow. I have noticed before that Pantene Breakage Defense helped my hair stop shedding. As soon as I finish this bottle of Garnier Fructis I am gonna go back to it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I need as much help as possible to achieve my BSL... I think I have a long way to go!:perplexed

Hey SoOoNY,
I just wanted to say I love your name and location :grin:...definitely missing NY too :(
Welcome to the boards, I wish I could offer some help but I'm facing a shedding problem myself.

Cayenne0622

This thread has grown and grown. This is really sad for those of us suffering with this issue. I'm amazed that there are so many ladies here dealing with shedding yet I only know one other lady personally who suffers with shedding. No one in my family and none of my friends are going through this. Mine had slowed down drastically and then for some reason kicked back in after I did a henna treatment almost 3 weeks ago. I don't know whether its the henna or if its some other ingredient that I put it in or if its that I've been sick and battling allergies for the last 3 weeks. Whatever it is, I've noticed that I shed approximately 100 hairs on wash day. It happens after I've airdried my hair and I'm flat-ironing it. I have fine hair so losing that much hair so often is traumatic. I HATE IT!

SoOoNY

Hey SoOoNY,
I just wanted to say I love your name and location :grin:...definitely missing NY too :(
Welcome to the boards, I wish I could offer some help but I'm facing a shedding problem myself.

LOL... well I always appreciate a fellow New Yorker! lol. I feel your pain girl... luckily I am going back for good in Dec after I graduate... Hopefully the water in there stop the shedding cause it never did this before... I swear its this Philly water... my hair only likes NY water! Try Pantene Breakage Defense line... it helped before... now i think I have to buy some more *sigh*:sad:

beawo

Silica is the answer. I was in the health shop and I overheard a lady that was buying her second supply of silica say that it helped her hair to stop shedding. Well I asked the shop assistant and she told me. I tried it myself and it worked.

sxyhairfetish

I have been shedding bad as well... Just recently stopped COMPLETELY when I used dark and lovely ultra cholesterol. I used to do the whole head baggy as well and it seems to cause the shedding. I am shedding alot less now that I stopped baggying my whole head and detangling under the shower.

Forget what I said i used that crap again last night and my hair came out in clumps. The first two times was cool... now, back to square one. I think I may try the silica... If it doesnt help, I am transitioning bump that. All of our hard work, down the drain... literally.

Cayenne0622

Silica is the answer. I was in the health shop and I overheard a lady that was buying her second supply of silica say that it helped her hair to stop shedding. Well I asked the shop assistant and she told me. I tried it myself and it worked.

I believe it does work. I've been taking them since seeing it in Ambitious1013's regimen and I think that it what stopped my shedding. I've been sick with allergies for about 3 weeks and since I was taking sooo much medicine, I fell off on my vitamins. My hair has been shedding. That's pretty scary. I don't mind taking vitamins but I hate to be dependent on one otherwise my hair will start falling.

OneInAMillion

I just wanted to say that my two week stint with shedding has finally slowed down. I started taking my vitamins again on Oct. 1st and I believe that may have helped the problem. I've been taking Biotin, Silica, Pantothentic Acid, and a B-Complex vitamin, basically to use up what I have. Also, I started massaging my scalp with Una's Oxygenating Hair Treatment (similar to Alter Ego's Cren I believe). In addition, I see that my hair likes a very specific regimen:
Day One - Rollerset
Day Two-Four - Maintain set with pincurls
Day Five-Seven - Maintain with Scarf only; Comb through hair with a widetooth bone comb, removing shed hairs
Day Seven or Eight - Wash Day

My hair needs to be washed weekly to stay happy :yep:. Going longer than that just means increased shedding for me.

Just thought I'd share what I've been doing. I actually kept the shed hairs from the two weeks prior and compared to this week...there's a dramatic difference. I think the bottom line is that my hair just doesn't like unnecessary manipulation and proper moisture can be obtained when I use a really good deep conditioner. My ends stayed moisturized all week!

septemberbaby

This is a very helpful thread. I'm experiencing thinning, shedding, breakage. My hair was doing so well up until June of this year. I think these are the reasons:

1. I became hypothyroid (under active thyroid condition) after my radioactive iodine treatment for Grave's Disease in May.

2. I started a new thyroid medication (Levoxyl) in August. According to the patient information pamphlet, hair loss is rare but temporary. I don't know if I should tell my doctor that I'm losing a lot of hair OR see a dermatologist. I am losing a lot of hair! If I just run my fingers through my hair, there are so many broken hairs AND shed hairs.

2. Not eating properly and drinking enough water

3. Change in season

4. Using dominican products that contain mineral oil

I hate that as soon as I start making progress I have a setback. I feel like I'll never reach my hair goals. :sad:

I am 12 days post relaxer and plan to do an Aphogee treatment tonight to stop the breakage. I don't know when the thinning/shedding will stop. I want to give up but I won't. I'll keep up my deep conditioning & moisturizing. I think I'm going to try low manipulation styles (rollersets) for a while until this madness stops.

I will try the QH Garlic Shampoo and start taking Vitamin B-12.

girlyprincess23

You know, for the past 3 days I have been experiencing shedding, shedding, and shedding. Just when I was getting distrught, I did an Aphoge 2 step protein treatment and Washed it out then dd the moisturier and VoILA, no little curly hairs wrapped all around my fingers!:grin:

gabulldawg

BuMpInG this thread.

My hair is shedding like crazy! I've got hairs EVERYWHERE! I think I'm going to try lo manipulation to see if that helps. I think I'm going to go ahead and get cornrows. I don't know what could be causing the shedding! I think I need to get some type of repair product (i.e. Nexxus Keraphix or Aphogee). That could help. If I don't stop shedding I fear that I will have to cut my hair! My hair can't afford to get any thinner!!! :nono:

sunshinelady

I texlaxed recently and am experiencing shedding. I am going to try a garlic treatment on it to see if I can get it to stop. It is really disconcerting. Anybody have any other suggestions?

P.S. Does birth control cause shedding when first starting? I've been on Yaz for 1.5 mos.

trinidarkie1

Thank Heavens For this thread.
I have been shedding like crazy. My ends were breaking off by touch, If I touch my hair now I will get a few strands, BUT they are coming out from the roots.
I believe my hairloss can be attributed to so many things.
-lot of stress within the last few months.
-off of birth control for three months
-taking a new prescription diet pill
-needed a touch up, a trim to get rid of split ends.

One week ago, I did my touch up with Organics relaxer. It was great.
I air dried, applied the hair mayonaise hair dress, and my hair never looked and felt better.

My assumption is that by being PCOS and being off of the hormones, I was able to get a lot of hair growth and my hair was just out of sync.
I need to speak with my Gyn about that, I may have to use something else, because I need hair growth and I Believe that may be stunting it.
Also, I purchased Ojon Rejuvenating treatment, the Ultra Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner and used that as an overnight treatment.
Applied Phyto 7 daily hair conditioner and it's been so so.

Yesterday I applied Mizani Confiderm Scalp oil and silk wrapped my curls with flexi rods.
I bought Phytopolleine Scalp Stimulant and Phyto Energize pre-shampoo treatment.
I'll be alternating with those sets of products for weekly washes.

Ojon has a detoxifying shampoo, I'll use that once a month and continue the routine. Also, I want to get Alter Ego Cren.

I'm also considering buying a hair vitamin. My hair grows but breaks and sheds so much that I haven't really seen all the growth that I know I should have. :(

What do y'all think?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I have been suffereing with chronic, constant shedding for a long while now. This is NOT just the run of the mill seasonal shedding that occurs around this time of year. My shedding last throughout the year. When I shampoo, condition, and detangle, I find that I'm losing lots of hairs. I can just touch my hair and pull come away with hairs. I noticed that Adrienne has been suffering with this lately. BTW, Adrienne, your shed hair pics were most helpful in helping me see that I'm not the only one who sheds that much. But of course, you've got more hair than I.
I am also recently suffering from breakage. For about a year I used Aphogee to control or head off any breakage, but it hasn't worked recently. I really hate that I have breakage on top of this annoying shedding. Is there anyone else out there who is going through this. I need some support/HELP!!!!

I feel your pain girl! See for me, I'm just getting into my haircare with the help of this wonderful site and the ladies on it. Because I didn't start until about October, the seasons are changing and everyone begins to shed. So I don't know if it's due to the season changing or if it's abnormal shedding. With seasonal shedding, does anyone know how long you're supposed to shed?? All Fall/Winter??

Miss*Tress

I had been shedding constantly since October. After washing my hair last weekend, I began applying a mixture of coconut and castor oils (with a few drops of ylang ylang for the scent) to the entire length of my hair daily. This seems to have stopped the shedding. Now I just lose the normal 10-20 hairs when combing in the morning and evening.

FromHair2There

I tried the aphoghee thing the other day and it did nothing. I still have small clumps of shedding / breaking hair in my hand with i put my hair into a bun. *sigh* :ohwell:

Next weekend when i wash i'll try the garlic/oil treatment i guess.

charmtreese

I tried the aphoghee thing the other day and it did nothing. I still have small clumps of shedding / breaking hair in my hand with i put my hair into a bun. *sigh* :ohwell:

Next weekend when i wash i'll try the garlic/oil treatment i guess.

Awww Man I didnt want to see this. I was gonna try the aphogee 2 min Keratin recon on my next wash.

Whats helped a little for me is drinking ACV mix with honey, I don't seem to have as much shedding as I use too. However, I am still trying to find a topical treatment for shedding. :perplexed

tylertown

Sooooo... I tried the garlic poo and it worked. I used the Queen Helene Garlic poo. I followed the directions and I noticed WAY less shedding. :yep:

I had a hard time finding the poo. I went to about 5 BSS stores. I thought I would never find it. Thank you ladies.

Oh...I also did a aphogee treatment. Maybe that stopped the shedding.
Oh my God I hope it helps me. I'm still shedding. I think the let up was just for a quick second.

I've noticed that I shed when any oil or water or ANY moister gets on my scalp. Meaning, I can comb my hair with no moisterizer. Much less shedding. But let me oil it...or put some water on it...major shedding.

It has the bulb at the end. If it weren't for this internal imbalance of shedding I know I'd be at waist length now

Question, does the garlic stuff stink afterwards? How much garlic to put in how much shampoo?

does the follicure vits really work?

charmtreese

I used the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor on Monday and it worked like a charm. I had significantly less hair shed & breakage during the detangling process. Im sooo, happy! This product is a keeper. :yep:

ttlayli

Hope I'm not too late, but I'm a CHRONIC shedder! I mean....it's A LOT!!! :perplexed When I'm in the shower cowashing or just rinsing with water, god forbid I "tug" GENTLY on my ends....CLUMPS OF HAIR JUST GLIDE OUT :sad:.
This past Sunday, I actually used garlic on my scalp (made my own garlic paste by grinding garlic and olive oil in blender) and I really didnt notice that much of a difference. Hopefully I can find a "cure"...I really do feel that this is the reason that I have been stuck at BSL for YEARS. *Sigh*

tylertown

Hope I'm not too late, but I'm a CHRONIC shedder! I mean....it's A LOT!!! :perplexed When I'm in the shower cowashing or just rinsing with water, god forbid I "tug" GENTLY on my ends....CLUMPS OF HAIR JUST GLIDE OUT :sad:.
This past Sunday, I actually used garlic on my scalp (made my own garlic paste by grinding garlic and olive oil in blender) and I really didnt notice that much of a difference. Hopefully I can find a "cure"...I really do feel that this is the reason that I have been stuck at BSL for YEARS. *Sigh*
*boooo whoooo:cry4:* Me to girl. Since I was a child. If I "greased" my hair is really really shedded. Why why whyyyyy like you when i wash or comb out in the shower i see blobs of hair flowing like rivers. I'm at BSL but it's thinning again!!! And I'd be at waist length now cause my hair constantly grows but i've been cutting so i won't lookie like a rag doll...:cry:

FromHair2There

I used the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor on Monday and it worked like a charm. I had significantly less hair shed & breakage during the detangling process. Im sooo, happy! This product is a keeper. :yep:

Well I'm glad it worked for you.:yep:..I think I'll try the 2 min one instead and give it one more try.:ohwell:

tylertown

Problem SOLVED!

Thanks ladies for giving me the goods on what helps! I combined that with my technique and my shedding is down I would say 80%!

foxxymami

Im a constant shedder! sometimes my hair sheds so much that I dont even feel like washing it or anything......which is not a good thing to go days and days and days without washing. i just get so sick of seeing hair go down the drain. My hair grows so long, but because it sheds so much i never really feel like i make good progress.

i think i will try the garlic with evoo, and also try silica vitamins. i have a regimen written down that i will also kick into high gear beginning this weekend. pray for me, as i do the same for you guys. love you :kiss:

hotcoco

I am also a shedder (some breakage) but it has calmed down quite a bit since using sizta2sizta halt. I have also noticed a difference in my hair since using shikakai powder. Thanks to the ladies who posted good reviews on this. I just ordered a few more boxes:yep: