surfing the net and...

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
i found this-- hope this helps someone!!
One of the cosmetic categories I wanted to explore for The Cosmetic Report is haircare. As an African-American haircare for me is an area with very challenging needs. My hair which is natural (no color/no straightener), very tightly curled, and has the kinky texture common to Negro hair. I did not include a lot of products in this report as frankly most simply just aren't effective on my type of hair.

L'Oreal Kerastase
There seems to be a big buzz about this line now perhaps because it's from Europe, but more likely because of their marketing hook of frizz control. Well, $50 later I regret falling victim to the hype. Apparently L'Oreal didn't do any research testing of this product on the original frizzy hair of the world...natural Negro hair. This line fell way short of satisfactory on my hair.

Shampoo
The shampoo did nothing more than clean my hair. No extraordinary softness and not even a remote hint of shine. Given the lack of a daily conditioner in Kerastase the results are unacceptable. Those with oily hair may appreciate the clean gel formula of the shampoo because it rinses very clean and probably does relax a minor case of the frizzies that such a hair type could have. Those of us with hair that feels and looks frizzy and dry can leave this shampoo bottle closed.

Mask
The Mask has a soft creamy texture and I was anticipating wonderful results. Unfortunately my finish was some softness, but my hair was still dry-looking to the point where there was a dusty hue on the hair which looked unclean. Another thumbs down.

Serum
OK, now I'm thinking this must be the magic potion that brings the system together. I started out with a small amount and that was absorbed so fast into my hair I couldn't see or feel anything. I used more and more. At this point all that happened was my hair started feeling really slick--like it had too much oil on it, but there was no shine and no frizz control.

I went through that routine everyday for a week hoping that maybe I was wrong, but I have concluded that those with dry kinky hair should pass on Kerastase. Right now you can only get the line through internet sources. I went directly through www.lorealparis.com and linked into the Keratase site to order.

Aveda
I go to an Aveda Concepts hair salon so I get to experience a lot of Aveda products. My stylist likes to use the Brilliant line on me from shampoo and conditioner to the styling products. At home I'm primarily into the styling products. I've put together my own regime for taming my kinks and it includes Universal Styling Creme, Emollient for Hair, and Forming Gel. There is also Retexturing Gel which is a nice substitute for Forming Gel because it's a softer gel. None of these products are stiff, greasy, or slippery so the look will just be a healthy soft shine. You may also want to try the new Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioner. Whatever you do always use a conditioner.

Universal Styling Creme
This is a thick cream which will shape the hair, but also adds moisture and all important shine to dull hair. It's thick, but in no way heavy feeling or greasy. Once you apply the product you won't feel it at all. It's not a holding product so if you wear hairdos which need hold you'll have to use hairspray.

Emollient for Hair
Now here's a product which combats frizzies. I have used Emollient with both natural and chemically straightened hair and it's effective on both. The dispenser is a pump type and a couple of drops does the trick (depending on hair length). When I last wore my hair long and straightened there were days I used no other finishing product other than Emollient. Now for my Afro I find it gives a luster that makes the hair look I just stepped out of the salon.

Forming Gel
This gel is clear and looks like it's going to be stiff and sticky, but nothing is farther from the truth. Forming Gel dries clear on the hair and can be combed and brushed at any time without losing your style. I never use hairspray because I don't like the feel so I use Forming Gel in place of. Those with Afros will find you can set the degree of your kink by running the gel through your hair with your fingers.

Aveda products have limited distribution. There are a few products online at Drugstore.com. The best source however is Aveda.com where you can be directed to an Aveda Concept Salon or Spa location near you or an online retailer which carries the full line.
Nick Chavez
My secret weapon for haircare products is Perfect Plus by Beverly Hills celebrity stylist Nick Chavez. Chavez appears on the QVC network with his products regularly, but you can order anytime from QVC.com. Nick has an arsenal of products, but I'm limiting the list to my favorites.

Cello Gloss Shampoo
Cello Gloss is my favorite shampoo. It imparts an unbelievable shine and softness before you even move on to conditioner and styling. The shampoo is a clear gel type and washes clean. My hair is dry, but because of the conditioning and cleanness of the rinse any hair type would probably get good results.

Cello Gloss Conditioner
I must clarify that this is in reference to the daily conditioner. There are two conditioners called Cello. One is a weekly deep type simply called Cello Gloss. My favorite is the one called Cello Gloss Conditioner. It's a standard creamy textured conditioner, but the result is anything but standard. My hair feels like silk after a dose of this conditioner and there's no such thing as tangles when using this stuff.

Straightening Glaze
This product was developed as part of a set called Hair Smoothing which includes shampoo, conditioner, and a styling creme. However in my opinion Straightening Glaze is the key product and a must for Afros or curly hair. This product is supposed to be used to help straighten hair with a blow dryer, but I don't use it that way. I apply it to clean wet hair and what happens is it helps relax the kink out of my curls and I get a more wavy look without a lot of tricks and manipulating just air drying. And baby, after the hair dries there is plenty of shine and no frizz.

Gel-Waxx
Gel-Waxx is a rookie in the Perfect Plus lineup and it's a power hitter. Nick says to use it on dry hair, but I often reach for it while my hair is still damp. The finish is soft and adds a little shine too and the wax content will keep those frizzies at bay. The product has a waxy feel, but it's not slick or sticky on the hair and brushes and cleans out with no fuss. I like it to lock in the waves I get with the Glaze.

There are more products in Perfect Plus worthy of mention. The best way to try this line is to purchase one of the pre configured sets from QVC. The sets are a good value as opposed to purchasing individual products. When I buy the sets I find I use almost every product. There's one product called Flocker which is a terrific little gem which I discovered through a set. Of course when you get hooked on a product such as Straightening Glaze or Gel-Waxx you will just go ahead and buy it separately. I'm so impressed with this line I can only sum it up by saying thanks Nick for developing products like someone who really did go through training and has experience working with all types of hair.

NAY007

thank you for all this info luvhair!!!

but i'm wondering about the kerastase, i absolutely love it. what is your hairtype?

B

ballet_bun

Nay007

Which products from Kerastase are you using? Have they made a difference? I have a lot of their products and I really like them, but then again, I have relaxed hair.

Ballet Bun ...

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
sorry nay007-- these products werent reviewed by me but another woman with a "caramel honey" complexion on another site-- she said she is natural but didnt state her hair type.

melodee

Speaking of Nick Chavez, anyone tried and liked his stuff. I used his Aloe Vera line once, but it got discontinued. It really wasn't as wonderful as they claimed it was onQVC, at least not on my hair.