Swimmer's hair care

frankie

Swimmer\'s hair care

Ladies...

The last time I let my hair grow longer (used to keep short hair cuts) it was full and healthy...until I had to take a swim class. The swim cap did not prevent my hair from getting wet, so over time the chlorine started eating away at my hair. It got so thin, I ended up getting it cut again...into a super short cut. I didn't mind cutting it, but I don't think that I should have to choose between having long healthy hair or being able to jump into a swimming pool.

I have since learned that neutralizing shampoo is a must after getting out of the pool. But, won't that dry out my hair too?

What do you swimmers do to keep your hair healthy?

I need all the help I can get. TIA

webby

Think Slim
Re: Swimmer\'s hair care

Frankie, I used to swim a lot and like you, the swim cap didn't prevent my hair from getting wet. I was told to use a clarifying shampoo after swimming, to remove the chlorine.

Of course, you really want to use a good deep conditioner too. I really did not like the way my hair felt after swimming, despite the deep conditioner.

CocoaButterflyy

Saturate your hair in regular water water first before you swim, that prevents your hair from absorbing the chlorine water. Then put a cheap conditioner on your hair (I think mine is a suave deep conditioner) Then put the swim cap on. The hat isn't designed to keep your hair from getting wet thepurpose really is to prevent your hair from being in your face and making you glide better in water.

frankie

Thanks so much cocoabutterfly...

What do you do after swimming, do you have a set routine, or particular products that you use?

webby

Think Slim

[ QUOTE ]
CocoaButterflyy said:
Saturate your hair in regular water water first before you swim, that prevents your hair from absorbing the chlorine water. Then put a cheap conditioner on your hair (I think mine is a suave deep conditioner) Then put the swim cap on. The hat isn't designed to keep your hair from getting wet thepurpose really is to prevent your hair from being in your face and making you glide better in water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT makes sense. I knew that there had to be a better way, other than what I'd been told.

frankie

webby...

What was it about the feeling of your hair that you didn't like? Was it dry or stiff?

My hair didn't really want to act right at all.

Lindy

My daughter goes to day camp every summer, so I've been facing this same situation with her every year... Last summer was the first year that her hair survived it relatively unscathed!! What she did was to condition wash her hair every night after camp, with ION Swimmers Conditioner (not sure if that's the correct name...)... then in the morning before camp, she would wet it again in the shower, and put in some more of the ION conditioner to protect it BEFORE even getting in the water. And NO, she doesn't use a swim cap (she's a teenager... need I say more??
). She would shampoo it only on Friday night. I asked my stylist and he said that to shampoo more often than every 5 days would dry her hair out too much. The summer before that, she had been coming home and using CON shampoo every night, and she ended up with A LOT of breakage around the edges...
This year she's going to be a camp counselor (
) so she'll only have to get in the water when she wants to... it won't be mandatory, so that should help some...
. It's really tricky trying to keep relaxed hair healthy and swim in chlorine every day!!

CocoaButterflyy

[ QUOTE ]
frankie said:
Thanks so much cocoabutterfly...

What do you do after swimming, do you have a set routine, or particular products that you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair is pretty much protected after doing the saturation and conditioner. I just wash as usual with the first rinse being a clarifying shampoo and everything after that is moisturizing shampoo and conditioner

tasha

From my Notes:
Pool/Beach water tips (for natural/non-colored hair):
· Before entering pools, drench your hair with water and use a little conditioner (cheap brands are fine). It is said this is the best way to protect your hair and creates a barrier from the chlorinated water.
· Some people do not like wearing a swim cap for many reasons. It's uncomfortable, unattractive or it never stays on etc. Even if you do wear a swim cap, you should wet/condition you hair...even if it's around the edges because the chlorinated water can creep up the cap.
· If your hair is long enough, try putting your hair in a bun or ponytail to keep hair out of your face. For shorter hair, try using a bra-strap or pantyhose headband.
· After shampooing be sure to rinse your hair out well and shampoo/condition.
· If you swim often, you may want to up your deep conditioning treatments and clarify a bit more.
Other summer tips:
· When out in the sun for long periods of time, try wearing a sun hat or scarf to protect your hair.
· Useful summer products: ear plugs, goggles, nose plugs, Ear-Water Drying Aid, Ultra Swim Conditioner. Don't forget those sunglasses!
Summer Hair Care articles on the web:
http://www.hair-styles.org/summer-hair-care-tips.html

http://www.hair.com/content/007.html