Swimming Hair Care

Lilmama1011

I have did a search and I noticed that it info from years ago and maybe we have found something more simpler to take care our hair swimming in the chlorine. So any advice you can offer to rest of us that helped you maintain your natural or relaxed hair swimming in the hot months?

Do you use a cap, oil, conditioner, soaked with just plain water, what?! How often do you swim. And after swimming do you clarify, use a moisturizing shampoo, or do you simple cowash?

Ajna

Initially I did the whole swimmers shampoo, reapply leave in conditioner throughout the day and all that but in the end it was not practical so now I keep it simple.

In the summer I spend weeks at the ocean so I do things a little differently (salt water vs. chlorine) either way I soak my hair with water then apply a castor/olive oil mix. Then I either do two french braids it or put it into two puffs and tuck my ends under with a bobby pin and I am off for a day. If I was in the ocean at all that day I rinse my hair really well, apply a clay mask made with coconut milk then I apply a deep conditioner as a leave in and style. If I am at the pool all day and not in the ocean then I do an ACV rinse (1 part ACV to 3 parts water) rinse it out apply leave in and style.

In the winter when I go to the pool I rinse my hair then I use whatever oil I have on hand and lightly coat my hair. I apply some kind of butter to my edges and then I put on my swim cap (if I remember - funny how often I forget that silly thing) after the pool I typically use a vitamin c rinse (take about 1 teaspoon and maybe 2 cups of water) massage that through my hair rinse then I apply a quick moisturizing conditioner, leave in and style.

If you want to go the swimmers shampoo route I would suggest the Ion swimmers shampoo or the Aubrey Organics (however I am not sure if they changed their formula for this product or not)

HTH

Last edited:

CodeRed

When my daughter was going to her swimming lessons twice a week all I did was wash her hair with any shampoo that had edta higher up on the list. It's the ingredient used to chelate and it seemed to do pretty well on her hair... I'd always add oil to her conditioner/plastic for a deep conditioning effect. Whenever I went swimming frequently (when I was younger) I'd always deep condition after shampooing... I never covered my hair with anything.