Swimming Hair Help?

XXXtacy

I see why they say Black Women Don't Swim.

Having a love/hate relationship with my hair and swimming. My current regimen is as follows:

pre-swim: Coconut oil or Conditioner with coconut oil.
post-swim: 1. AO Swimmer's Shampoo, 2. Terressentials Mud Wash, 3. Conditioner - Any at hand, 4. Coconut oil
Home (after the gym): 1. Shampoo, 2. Deep Condition: Any at hand with steamer, 3. Cold wash, 4. Style
The style can be twist outs, flat twist outs, pulled back buns.
Henna on the weekends

The Good
The benefits of my overall health have been amazing. Swimming has made me look like I have lost weight even when I haven't. I have lost close to 30 lbs. However, I look even smaller than I am because the swimming is elongating and toning my body. I have more energy. It is an exercise my husband and I do and has gotten us closer.

The Bad
Swim Caps. I thought finding the right swimming cap would help me to keep my hair dry. I have about 12 - 20 swim caps (silicon, latex, too small, too large, olympic, etc) and none have kept my hair dry. My coach instructed me that swim caps are for navigating the water not keeping water from your hair. I was shocked to hear this.

The Ugly
I swam one season with a sew in. I thought it would be easier for maintenance. Although I wash my hair after each swim, it ruined my human hair tracks and my hair. When the weave was removed, you could see where the chlorine had eaten away at the area where the sew in was. It has taken over a year and a half to cut off that part of my hair. My once MBL hair is now just pass SL. Sad about the length. It took me a long time to grow my hair.

Each season I try something new, twist out, bunting, sew-in. This season I am going to try a wash and go for this season. I am researching this now. Quite honest, I am a little afraid of this option. I have no experience with this type of procedure but I am at my wits ends with find a swimming hair routine.

A friend of mine's suggested that I post on the board the question to see if anyone has a successful swimming hair regime.

Ladies, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

ScorpioBeauty09

I don't know how much help this will be but here's my experience. I started swimming lessons when I was 4 and my mom always got my hair braided. I've always been a natural, never permed in part so I could swim and protect my hair easier. Your instructor is right that swim caps are not supposed to keep your hair dry but he's wrong in the other thing he said. Swim caps are supposed to keep your hair from absorbing excessive chlorine. That's why it's also recommended that you wet your hair before getting in the water because it will help lessen the absorption of the chlorine.

As for a regimen after I swim I use a chelating clarifying shampoo along with some ACV (usually as a spray), then I DC with a moisturizing conditioner with heat for at least 30 minutes, then rinse.

Hope this helps.

Onhergrind09

XXXtacy I have texlaxed 4b hair and a pretty successful swim regimen that actually allowed me to retain length.

Pre Swim: Lightly spritz my hair with water and saturate it with any conditioner of choice but I use Ion's Swimmers Conditioner for its specific ability to protect hair from pool water. The reasoning behind this is that if your hair is saturated with conditioner then it greatly reduces it's ability to absorb pool water. Then put on a swim cap which further reduces the amount of water your hair will absorb. For convenience you might want to put your hair into several braids to avoid unnecessary tangling.

Post Swim: Shampoo out the conditioner with Ion's Swimmers Shampoo, Rinse and the apply Ion's Swimmers Conditioner again, comb, rinse out and then proceed with leave-ins and M&S.

XXXtacy

I don't know how much help this will be but here's my experience. I started swimming lessons when I was 4 and my mom always got my hair braided. I've always been a natural, never permed in part so I could swim and protect my hair easier. Your instructor is right that swim caps are not supposed to keep your hair dry but he's wrong in the other thing he said. Swim caps are supposed to keep your hair from absorbing excessive chlorine. That's why it's also recommended that you wet your hair before getting in the water because it will help lessen the absorption of the chlorine.

As for a regimen after I swim I use a chelating clarifying shampoo along with some ACV (usually as a spray), then I DC with a moisturizing conditioner with heat for at least 30 minutes, then rinse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion of a chelating shampoo.

XXXtacy

@XXXtacy I have texlaxed 4b hair and a pretty successful swim regimen that actually allowed me to retain length.

Pre Swim: Lightly spritz my hair with water and saturate it with any conditioner of choice but I use Ion's Swimmers Conditioner for its specific ability to protect hair from pool water. The reasoning behind this is that if your hair is saturated with conditioner then it greatly reduces it's ability to absorb pool water. Then put on a swim cap which further reduces the amount of water your hair will absorb. For convenience you might want to put your hair into several braids to avoid unnecessary tangling.

Post Swim: Shampoo out the conditioner with Ion's Swimmers Shampoo, Rinse and the apply Ion's Swimmers Conditioner again, comb, rinse out and then proceed with leave-ins and M&S.

Thank you so much for this information.

I am going to switch to Ion's to see the difference. If I can stop the breakage, then I am going to really look into texlaxing.

candy626

It looks your regimen is fine. I recommend what the other ladies said making sure your hair is damp, protected in a conditioner or maybe some coconut oil. I would definitely use a swimmers shampoo or a clarifying shampoo periodically to remove build up from the chlorine.

I'd be careful with wearing regular wash n go's though if you are going to be swimming regularly. This style produces tangles and ssk's on it's own, at least for me (I am 3c though, so if you have looser hair it may work) I think braids, twists, or buns might be good go to styles. That's what I used to do when I swam a lot during my childhood.

Eisani

Definitely wet your hair and apply conditioner (oil is optional fo me) before getting in the pool. I'd say if you get a chelating poo then follow up when you get home with a moisturizing poo and dc, you can cut out some of those other shampoos you're doing. AO Swimmer's poo, mud wash AND another shampoo at home seems a bit much. I'm a 3c/4a past waist natural, wear wash n go's most of the time, and for swimming I put my damp, conditioner soaked hair in two braids. I never use a swim cap because if they fit, they end up sliding off anyway. After swimming, I take one braid down at a time, rinse well, shake out and KIM. Once I get home, I chelate, acv rinse, use a moisturizing poo and dc.

Nonie

Hi @XXXtacy :wave: Long time no see!

I just returned to swimming and so I'm taking notes. So far I just use any conditioner--(but I made a note of the Ion's Swimmer's Conditioner--thanks @Onhergrind09)--to coat my hair--I don't wet it though :look:. I then use Saran wrap and then a swim cap. You'll be amused but after all that I tend to swim with my head out of the water. :giggle: But when I've swam with it in water, I have just washed it as normal. But this thread has me thinking I need to invest in some products better suited for the task. :scratchch

ETA: Hey, how about cones? Methinks nothing would seal hair better than a serum. :scratchch

Last edited:

CocoBunny

I bought Ion's shampoo and Conditioner from Sally's and it made my hair feel like straw. I really felt that it stripped my hair and caused it to tangle. But that just my experience.

Seamonster

Swimming actually grows my fine 4c hair. That is how I went from eternal 3 inches of hair to 7 inches.

Products:
1. Dollar store Dandruff shampoo with pine tar, it is a dupe for Neutrogena's T-gel shampoo,
2. Dollar store rinse out conditioner like suave or white rain
3. Dollar store olive hair creme,
4. Petroleum jelly

Protective Style: Tree braids with synthetic hair (the synthetic hair does not absorb minerals, and no thread is used)

1. Grease scalp with petroleum jelly before swimming, (hair must be dry to absorb the most petroleum) making sure to put a lot upon the cornrows to protect your hair from the chemicals. Professional/Daily swimmers use this all over to protect themselves from chemicals.
2. Rinse hair with water
3. Apply diluted T-gel dupe shampoo to roots, and massage until it foams. Rinse and repeat.
4. Rinse out conditioner
5. Olive creme on wet hair, and massage into braids until they feel soft. Use a lot, it is only a dollar.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Chlorine bleach eats at everything, even the swim suits! I swam all summer before last with my natural fro or box braids. Swimming daily, coating in conditioner wasnt enough. It was eaten away in a few minutes (even with a swim cap, because the water still leaks in).

I know it's not popular, but beeswax.

It's NOT water soluble like conditioner, so it won't wash away in 3 seconds. If coconut oil or any other oils dont work because they may be too thin, then you might wanna give the ole wax a try.

It's like a helmet. Nothing gets through that stuff. lol.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Adding: Your post-swim chelating shampoo should be able to get it all out, btw. Those are pretty strong. You have way more of a moisturizing post-swim regi then I did at the time, so the rest should leave your hair in a happy place :).

diadall

I don't see the point of putting any products in your hair prior to getting in a pool.

I have braids now so I can swim daily.

All the products are like putting in is like putting lotion on your skin...its gone after you get in and its just making your pool dirty faster (for those that care.)

melissa-bee

I planning to swim soon.
I plan too coat my hair in shea butter or grease (dax) prior to swimming. Then wash with AO swimmers shampoo after. Then I might throw a flaxseed mix in my hair.

Ogoma

I don't know why this is framed as specifically a black woman's issue. Does anyone know of any non-black person that comes out of the pool and walks around with chlorine in their hair? Why is this complex? When you get out of the pool you shampoo and condition. I think most people have narrated experiences that highlight it doesn't need to be complex.

diadall

Ogoma said:
I don't know why this is framed as specifically a black woman's issue. Does anyone know of any non-black person that comes out of the pool and walks around with chlorine in their hair? Why is this complex? When you get out of the pool you shampoo and condition. I think most people have narrated experiences that highlight it doesn't need to be complex.

I agree and all this product people are putting in is a waste and I know my family would not let folks get in with excess grease and product messin up our pool. LOL!!!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
My dd swims in a combination saltwater/chlorinated pool. She doesnt wear a swim cap for lessons and all i do for her hair is make sure i wet it well with water and braid it. I wash with a mild shampoo & condition after. Her hair has been fine so far. I used to swim regularly and i would do the same with my hair and i didnt have any damage.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey

Yeah, I don't think it's just us worrying about our hair. I have seen the folks on LHC and Untamed Tesses message board do the same thing of coating their hair in oil and conditioner too.

I plan to swim almost everyday when summer comes so this thread is right on time. I like the beeswax tip but don't know where I can get that. Will Vaseline work just as good?

Nonie

@diadall, do you make everyone wash their hair before getting in the pool? Coz if not, if someone had serum in her hair--which is what I've decided I'll be doing--it'd just look like they're getting into the pool with dry hair. One doesn't need oodles of serum to coat hair. A single coating of serum applied well is enough to seal hair so IMO may work better than conditioner.

I think when it comes to the pool, unless you have one in your home that is only for family and so rules are followed, you can't expect it to be clean. People fart in pools, people pee in pools, people's snort oozes out into pool, and if they have athlete's foot, then you know the fungus is getting a dip too....

It's like eating at a restaurant; you can't worry about what might be in the food if you can't see it. Either you turn a blind eye on what you don't know for sure and enjoy your food; or just don't eat out. I mean, when you're in a pool, there are so many things that could be going on with the folks sharing the pool that you don't know, so hair products seems like nothing under the circumstances. Granted no one wants to see frothing stuff floating in the pool from someone's head, but I'm assuming folks are also taking measures to keep most of these products on their hair while in water by wearing caps.

Considering all the gunk folks put in their hair on a daily basis, I'd bet my bottom dollar that my normally bare hair when coated with conditioner and wrapped with Saran wrap then covered with a cap while in a pool leaves way less "gunk" in the water than that head w/o anything on it but which for the last few days was coated with leave-in/moisturizer/sealant/oil or whatever.

ETA: And the reason for "coating" hair is to make access of chlorine to damaging your hair a little tougher. *shrug* That's why they even have products like the invisible swim cap treatment to use before going for a swim.

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Never thought of saran wrapping the hair before putting on a swim cap. Might have to try that one. I absolutely do not want a setback because of swimming in the pool daily.

MWilson569

This thread is up just in time... Im joining a a gym so that I can go swimming this summer.... But I'm confused on what I should do...should I wear a swim cap? should I NOT wear a swim cap? if I put conditioner in my hair, wouldnt the swim cap slip off in the pool ..I wanted to put senaglese twist in my hair this summer but maybe I should just wear it in a bun since I'll be swimming at least 3 days a week...

XXXtacy

Hi @XXXtacy :wave: Long time no see!

I just returned to swimming and so I'm taking notes. So far I just use any conditioner--(but I made a note of the Ion's Swimmer's Conditioner--thanks @Onhergrind09)--to coat my hair--I don't wet it though :look:. I then use Saran wrap and then a swim cap. You'll be amused but after all that I tend to swim with my head out of the water. :giggle: But when I've swam with it in water, I have just washed it as normal. But this thread has me thinking I need to invest in some products better suited for the task. :scratchch

ETA: Hey, how about cones? Methinks nothing would seal hair better than a serum. :scratchch

(((((((((((((((Nonie)))))))))))))))) :hug2:

Thanks so much for your response.

This is the reason my swim instructor told me the reason for swim caps. I had 2 swim caps and saran wrap. I tried saran wrap my hair swim cap then swim cap on top = wet hair. I tried swim cap, saran wrap and then swim cap = wet hair. It would take about 15 -20 min in the dressing room fiddling with my caps. The swim instructor came in to get me several times. He explained swim cap was for navigation not keeping hair wet. That's why men wear swim caps. :curtain:

That's why I need help.

XXXtacy

It looks your regimen is fine. I recommend what the other ladies said making sure your hair is damp, protected in a conditioner or maybe some coconut oil. I would definitely use a swimmers shampoo or a clarifying shampoo periodically to remove build up from the chlorine.

I'd be careful with wearing regular wash n go's though if you are going to be swimming regularly. This style produces tangles and ssk's on it's own, at least for me (I am 3c though, so if you have looser hair it may work) I think braids, twists, or buns might be good go to styles. That's what I used to do when I swam a lot during my childhood.

This is the reason I have waited so long to do the wash and go. This is my last resort with hair styles. I have tried weaves, braids, twists and now wash & gos.

All of the other black ladies I see swimming have fades. I am at my wit's end. My friend suggested I reach out to other women who love their hair and fitness.

XXXtacy

I bought Ion's shampoo and Conditioner from Sally's and it made my hair feel like straw. I really felt that it stripped my hair and caused it to tangle. But that just my experience.

I had samples of Ion's, AO & one other swimmer's shampoo. I couldn't really tell a difference at the time but my hair was at a different place and style. Most of the swimmer's suggested AO that is why I went with them.

XXXtacy

Definitely wet your hair and apply conditioner (oil is optional fo me) before getting in the pool. I'd say if you get a chelating poo then follow up when you get home with a moisturizing poo and dc, you can cut out some of those other shampoos you're doing. AO Swimmer's poo, mud wash AND another shampoo at home seems a bit much. I'm a 3c/4a past waist natural, wear wash n go's most of the time, and for swimming I put my damp, conditioner soaked hair in two braids. I never use a swim cap because if they fit, they end up sliding off anyway. After swimming, I take one braid down at a time, rinse well, shake out and KIM. Once I get home, I chelate, acv rinse, use a moisturizing poo and dc.

After the 'damage - demarcation', I have been so concerned that I am leaving chlorine in that I have washing maybe too much. I like the braid method. I was hoping the Terressentials would be like a chelate shampoo. I do deep condition after each swim. Is that too much as well??

XXXtacy

I am going to try this.

Thank you so much. My hair and pocketbook would greatly appreciate this. Going through these terressential and swimming shampoos is costing a grip.

Swimming actually grows my fine 4c hair. That is how I went from eternal 3 inches of hair to 7 inches.

Products:
1. Dollar store Dandruff shampoo with pine tar, it is a dupe for Neutrogena's T-gel shampoo,
2. Dollar store rinse out conditioner like suave or white rain
3. Dollar store olive hair creme,
4. Petroleum jelly

Protective Style: Tree braids with synthetic hair (the synthetic hair does not absorb minerals, and no thread is used)

1. Grease scalp with petroleum jelly before swimming, (hair must be dry to absorb the most petroleum) making sure to put a lot upon the cornrows to protect your hair from the chemicals. Professional/Daily swimmers use this all over to protect themselves from chemicals.
2. Rinse hair with water
3. Apply diluted T-gel dupe shampoo to roots, and massage until it foams. Rinse and repeat.
4. Rinse out conditioner
5. Olive creme on wet hair, and massage into braids until they feel soft. Use a lot, it is only a dollar.

XXXtacy

Chlorine bleach eats at everything, even the swim suits! I swam all summer before last with my natural fro or box braids. Swimming daily, coating in conditioner wasnt enough. It was eaten away in a few minutes (even with a swim cap, because the water still leaks in).

I know it's not popular, but
beeswax.

It's NOT water soluble like conditioner, so it won't wash away in 3 seconds. If coconut oil or any other oils dont work because they may be too thin, then you might wanna give the ole wax a try.

It's like a helmet. Nothing gets through that stuff. lol

:worship2:

You understand!!! I am going to get that beeswax asap.

When I wash my hair after I have put the conditioner or oil on my hair after swimming, my hair feel like nothing was on it before. Which becomes frustrating and I dont want to lose any more hair because of this.

XXXtacy

I don't see the point of putting any products in your hair prior to getting in a pool.

I have braids now so I can swim daily.

All the products are like putting in is like putting lotion on your skin...its gone after you get in and its just making your pool dirty faster (for those that care.)

Well, I asked most of the swimmers and lifeguards what they use and do. They always suggest putting conditioners on their hair before swimming. Never thought about condition of pool.

XXXtacy

My dd swims in a combination saltwater/chlorinated pool. She doesnt wear a swim cap for lessons and all i do for her hair is make sure i wet it well with water and braid it. I wash with a mild shampoo & condition after. Her hair has been fine so far. I used to swim regularly and i would do the same with my hair and i didnt have any damage.

I wish I was lucky enough for a combination pool. I am delighted your baby's hair is doing well. My pool is 100% chlorinated. I didnt have these problems in a saltwater pool at all.

Last edited:

XXXtacy

Yeah, I don't think it's just us worrying about our hair. I have seen the folks on LHC and Untamed Tesses message board do the same thing of coating their hair in oil and conditioner too.

I plan to swim almost everyday when summer comes so this thread is right on time. I like the beeswax tip but don't know where I can get that. Will Vaseline work just as good?

The pool we attend is a university pool. All women there complain about the same things. Some even got together to ask about switching to a saltwater or saltwater combination pool. The chlorine is wreaking havoc on swimsuits and hair.

This is not a pretend problem. I think the beeswax might be good defense.