Swimming In The Black Community: How Racism Is Drowning Us

Leeda.the.Paladin

I would bet that's the case. My granny was psycho about her pool chemicals and her husbands only job was to make sure the levels were right so we could swim safely. Everyone had to shower before they got in but she didn't want you walking around her house wet so she had a bath put outside lol. That pathology is 1 thing I'm glad I didn't pick up from her...

Aww man, she was hard core :lol: But I do wish we had a shower out by our pool.

My mother in law gets so exasperated with me because I make my children bathe after they've been in a pool. I'm not sure why people equate swimming with bathing. I heard a daddy at a public pool telling his daughter that she didn't even need to shower tonight because she was nice and clean from the pool.

Chromia

My 11 yr old ds is uncordinated, heavy, tall, and scared of the water. He is definitely going to need more lessons than dd and it is going to be expensive. I need to find a pool so he can practice daily but our community center pool is small and full of kids.
That's good that you want to find a pool where he can practice daily. I think that was another reason that I couldn't swim even after taking lessons - there wasn't a pool for me to practice in. I just had the once-a-week group swimming lessons and that was it.

IronButterfly

Ok, so let's say you have a poor rural family and they have an extra 200-300 bucks to spend on entertainment or whatever for the kids. They could use that to send one kid to swim classes, while also paying for (1) transportation to and from the pool (that transportation will include the other kids that they might need to bring along) and (2) swimming apparel. They also possibly miss some work to get their kid to the lesson.

Now they have to do this everyday for 1 or 2 weeks because swim lessons are generally done like that. Swim lessons are over. The kid might can swim and might can't, depending on the child. Meanwhile, the other children have been stagnant. And that money is gone to an activity that the child most likely won't do again for a long time because of the lack of access to a pool or other water.

Most parents would probably think to put that money to use for something that benefits the entire family instead of just one kid. In that situation, buying the kids iPads or a game console would seem to make more sense: it's something they can use all the time, something that will keep them busy while the parent is at work, etc.

I'm not saying that it's right to spend money on entertainment instead of swim lessons but in some situations, I can definitely see the thought process. I've worked with a lot of poor rural families. Yes, they will have iPhones etc, but they usually don't have their own transportation and are not living in mansions.

Find swim lessons that are one time a week. That's what we do. And on the weekend so you're not missing work. If all you can see are the roadblocks than that's what you'll get. Just saying.

Buying an ipad or game console is beneficial to the family? A family that can afford those items is not poor (and are probably obese!) and can easily afford swim lessons. How about buying a basket ball so all the kids can get outside and exercise and have fun together? If you live in a dirt rural area there's probably a lake at your disposal. Funny, how back in the days before internet, iphones, cable and excuses, kids had access to stuff even if they had to walk.

Femmefatal1981

Aww man, she was hard core :lol: But I do wish we had a shower out by our pool.

My mother in law gets so exasperated with me because I make my children bathe after they've been in a pool. I'm not sure why people equate swimming with bathing. I heard a daddy at a public pool telling his daughter that she didn't even need to shower tonight because she was nice and clean from the pool.
Oh heck no...

Chromia

If you aren't a very strong swimmer a drowning person may over power you and drown you both. The best way to help is to throw them some sort of flotation device ( ice chest, float, etc).
That reminds me of this Inside Edition story about what to do if you see someone drowning, and how easy it is to not notice that someone is drowning because people drown quietly in real life instead of yelling and splashing like they do in the movies and on TV.

And this story showing 3 kids who were drowning (it's okay to watch - the video also shows all 3 kids being rescued by lifeguards) and how the other people in the water didn't notice.

Femmefatal1981

My 11 yr old ds is uncordinated, heavy, tall, and scared of the water. He is definitely going to need more lessons than dd and it is going to be expensive. I need to find a pool so he can practice daily but our community center pool is small and full of kids.
Blue Triangle in 3rd ward. That pool is responsible for teaching swimming to like 90% of the black folks who grew up in that area. My friend drove her son from Richmond to be on their swim team for years

ScorpioBeauty09

My only biological uncle drowned at 13. My mom, his sister watched it happen and was powerless to do anything because she couldn't swim. She made sure all her children learned to swim and enrolled us in summer lessons early. I started when I was 4. Some of my best early childhood memories are going to summer school in the morning and then playing around until teachers would walk us to the pool a couple blocks away, especially on days we had free swim before lessons. I took lessons until just before HS and I trained for months and got a swim trophy at the end after diving in a 13 foot pool and bringing a brick up to the surface. I was so nervous because diving was something I really struggled with.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Find swim lessons that are one time a week. That's what we do. And on the weekend so you're not missing work. If all you can see are the roadblocks than that's what you'll get. Just saying.

Buying an ipad or game console is beneficial to the family? A family that can afford those items is not poor (and are probably obese!) and can easily afford swim lessons. How about buying a basket ball so all the kids can get outside and exercise and have fun together? If you live in a dirt rural area there's probably a lake at your disposal. Funny, how back in the days before internet, iphones, cable and excuses, kids had access to stuff even if they had to walk.

To many families, yes it is. Some kids don't have access to a computer and use an iPad for school. Educational apps are available. I'm sure a lot are using it for snap chat and games, whatever, but that's not to say that it's a useless item.

Lakes are not going to be in the middle of a small town. You will have to travel to get there and even then they are probably on private property. I also would not expect children to learn how to swim, with parents who don't know how to swim, in a lake where there is no lifeguard. And in MS there are probably poisonous snakes in the lake.

I'm not saying that they should just give up, but things are not black and white.

I'm sorry, but for my kids, the once a week swim lessons were not helpful. It was slow going. If you take into account that someone might have more than one child, it's even less helpful. Practice is what makes a good swimmer, generally speaking.

We disagree, and that's cool. I'm going by what I've seen and heard with my own eyes and ears. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it because I grew to care about those people and understand their situation. It's hard to break from cycles of poverty and fear.

A poor person who owns an xbox or iPad is not necessarily wasting all their money on frivolous things. However motivating it seems to say "forget the roadblocks",those roadblocks are still there. Sometimes people are doing the best that they can, with what they have. Of course there are parents who could care less, but the ones who care ARE out there.

metro_qt

My mom didn't know how to swim and is pretty afraid of water...my dad knew how to swim.
I was taught at school though, because grade 4 was swimming lessons...and I was HORRIBLE.

What changed was that summer at the boys and girls club with my friends and more swimming lessons, and I made it up to the grey badge I believe...

Now I go scuba diving on vacation (I learned that at the boys and girls club too)
And snorkeling whenever an excursion is offered....

winterinatl

All natural!
My experience has been the opposite of this. I'm taking my first swimming lesson next Monday, and its got me interested in asking people if they can swim. Almost all of the black people I've asked either cannot swim, or are not confident in their swimming abilities. One co-worker (black woman 30s) grew up with an in-ground swimming pool in her back yard, but said she didn't get in much because her friends/cousins couldn't swim. She says she can get from one end of the pool to the other, but isn't really a swimmer.

Another co-worker (black woman 40s) is going on vacation to Jamaica soon, and she was showing me the Chloe beach bag she bought. I asked her if she could swim. She said, "No. And I don't want to either. I'm just going to be cute sitting by the pool with my beach bag and sun hat". She said pools and bodies of water are dirty and she isn't getting in...

The former co-worker who grew up with a pool also mentioned something about cleanliness and her vagina, and not taking baths, only showers... When I was growing up I had the opportunity to learn to swim at the community pool, but I declined because I looked around at my hood peers and decided I didn't eat to be in the same "bath" as them. So, I'm starting to wonder if some of our (black women's) aversion to swimming has anything to do with our hyper cleanliness.
You know what...I used to be a competitive swimmer and lifeguard, and swim instructor. I love to swim.

However. Something has happened to me in the past 10 years or so. I get super grossed out thinking about swimming in an indoor pool. Maybe it had to do with the LAFitness pool I last got in. It was way to warm, and the hot tub had tons of foam (body soil and surfactants= :barf: )

These days pools give me the heebie jeebies.

LivingInPeace

You know what...I used to be a competitive swimmer and lifeguard, and swim instructor. I love to swim.

However. Something has happened to me in the past 10 years or so. I get super grossed out thinking about swimming in an indoor pool. Maybe it had to do with the LAFitness pool I last got in. It was way to warm, and the hot tub had tons of foam (body soil and surfactants= :barf: )

These days pools give me the heebie jeebies.
This is how I feel about pools. I took swimming lessons twice as a child but never learned how to swim. So I've thought about taking lessons as an adult, but the thought of being in a pool or a lake where other people's bodies and bodily fluids are running free makes me want to vomit. So I've decided that my solution is to stay on land at all times.

CarefreeinChicago

My mom signed me up for lessons when I was about 8 but I was mostly just playing in the water. I didn't learn until after I moved to Dallas and the Texas heat wasn't playing any games so me and some coworkers took classes at north lake community college.

CarefreeinChicago

My firs semester of high school we had a strike I was supposed to have swimming class so we moved to the suburbs and I told them I had it my first semester. I was not messing up my fresh perm.

Chromia

Our Y Family rate with our household income is $77/month $100 joining fee THEN you pay reduced rates for the various activities.

Under $30k per year family rate: Your household income qualifies you to apply for a Guardian program scholarship. Please call or visit your local Y; we'll work with you to determine a rate you can afford.
A couple of them here have an over $70 monthly family rate with a $75 joining fee.

Most of them around here are $50-55 monthly for families, with a $55 join fee.

Only 1 of the black neighborhoods here has a Y, and it has a $37 monthly family rate. That used to be the only one that wasn't open 7 days a week. They were closed on Sundays. Now they're open on Sundays, but just 1-5pm.

werenumber2

Kids had to take a swim test at my school and if you couldn't demonstrate the ability to go from point A to point B and float on your back, you had to take mandatory swim classes in the school pool until you learned.

I'm the worst swimmer in my family but I know how to not drown so that's good enough for me.

winterinatl

All natural!
This is how I feel about pools. I took swimming lessons twice as a child but never learned how to swim. So I've thought about taking lessons as an adult, but the thought of being in a pool or a lake where other people's bodies and bodily fluids are running free makes me want to vomit. So I've decided that my solution is to stay on land at all times.
I liked your response but hate doing it because I want you to learn to swim. Please don't let my weirdness make yours worse! I should have added that once I get a suit on , and tie dipped in, I'm in CANNONBALL and have a ball.

Then I scrub my tail down :look:

douglala

I think it's more of an inner city issue. Growing up we only had access to community pools that were so packed that actual swimming was rarely done. We just stood around and played different games. There were no lap swim sections, there were no YMCA, no lakes, no schools with pools, etc so unless your parents put a conscious effort into getting you lessons outside of the neighborhood you were outta luck. Hence I never learned as a kid.

My 7 year old has been taking lessons for years. I MADE SURE she started as a toddler. She just started swimming competitively - her first meet is next week!

Last edited:

LivingInPeace

I liked your response but hate doing it because I want you to learn to swim. Please don't let my weirdness make yours worse! I should have added that once I get a suit on , and tie dipped in, I'm in CANNONBALL and have a ball.

Then I scrub my tail down :look:
I need to take lessons in a pool that was just cleaned and that only I and the instructor(maybe) are allowed to be in.

IronButterfly

To many families, yes it is. Some kids don't have access to a computer and use an iPad for school. Educational apps are available. I'm sure a lot are using it for snap chat and games, whatever, but that's not to say that it's a useless item.

Lakes are not going to be in the middle of a small town. You will have to travel to get there and even then they are probably on private property. I also would not expect children to learn how to swim, with parents who don't know how to swim, in a lake where there is no lifeguard. And in MS there are probably poisonous snakes in the lake.

I'm not saying that they should just give up, but things are not black and white.

I'm sorry, but for my kids, the once a week swim lessons were not helpful. It was slow going. If you take into account that someone might have more than one child, it's even less helpful. Practice is what makes a good swimmer, generally speaking.

We disagree, and that's cool. I'm going by what I've seen and heard with my own eyes and ears. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it because I grew to care about those people and understand their situation. It's hard to break from cycles of poverty and fear.

A poor person who owns an xbox or iPad is not necessarily wasting all their money on frivolous things. However motivating it seems to say "forget the roadblocks",those roadblocks are still there. Sometimes people are doing the best that they can, with what they have. Of course there are parents who could care less, but the ones who care ARE out there.
I'm going by what I've seen and experienced, too. However, slow going is better than nothing and can yield some progress for those who want it. Yes, every day is always better, but something is better than nothing. Breaking any cycle is difficult, but can be done especially by people who stop believing things have to be easy.

Thing is, there are over-achievers: They drive through the roadblocks; mid-achievers: they try to drive around the roadblock, may even move some of the obstacles out of the way as long as they aren't too heavy; and low-achievers: They see the roadblock, give up and go back home, then blame the roadblock for their failure.

We live in America. A few years back while doing research, I asked a Somali woman why 98% of Somali all seem to have the same birthday, 01/01. She said it was because they were so busy running from shrapnel and bombs, no one had the means to keep birth records because you never knew when you were going to have to RUN.
Seems those people would have a hard time attaining anything, yet there are tons of Somali kids in the pool when I take my son to the Y. Very few Americans face these dilemmas.
It all comes down to choices. This family would rather buy xboxes, wiis, cable, etc. That family would rather directly invest in their children.

But let's say you still can't afford swim lessons as a child. You can still take them as an adult if it's something you want.

I guess if I hadn't come from hard times, I could empathize with your pov. But ppl I grew up with were losing because of their own choices.

MizAvalon

I can't swim. Not really sure why I wasn't taught since my grandfather was a lifeguard and all of his kids and just about every grandkid(except me) knows how to swim. My parents never made it a priority to teach me and by the time I was an adult, I was too afraid to learn.

I keep saying that I want to take lessons because I would love to snorkel and scuba on vacation, plus everyone should just know for their own personal safety.

cocosweet

Neither of my parents swam, nor were they interested in learning. I took swimming in high school, but I don't think of myself as a strong swimmer. The fact that I HATE sticking my head in the water doesn't help. Dh swims like a fish, dd is coming along nicely, ds is scared of the water to the point dh cannot teach him. We will have to seek an instructor at the Y.

I also wanted to post the following info. I saw a flyer for it when we went to our community pool this past weekend.:

Find a Local WLSL Event

Are you a mom or dad looking for a fun, memorable way to teach your kids about being safer in and around the water? Well, we have the perfect event for you and your family -- The World's Largest Swimming Lesson event set for June 22nd! This global event will take place at approximately 600 host locations in 20 countries. Our goal is to share the Swimming Lessons Save Lives message with millions so that every man, woman or child learns to swim.

If you are interested in participating in a World's Largest Swimming Lesson™ event in your community, we invite you to use the interactive map or the search tool below to find the Host Location closest to you. Once you've found a local event, click through to their website and learn more about when the event starts and ends. Remember, each Host Location gets to select their own start time on June 22nd, so you'll want to check out what's happening at your closest WLSL event!

Check the map below to see Host Locations that have signed up to participate in the WLSL in 2017. You may also use the search fields to search for a location by state, country, postal code or name of facility. Be sure to check back often to find new host facilities added in your area!

We are celebrating our eighth year of this worldwide event. This year's event on June 22nd is a great way to kick off the official start of summer in North America, a time when many head out to enjoy water recreational activities as a way to cool off during the hotter summer months. Of course, being safe in and around the water requires more than just swimming lessons. But, learning to swim and the exposure to the water safety skills and messages that swimmings lesson offers provides a lifelong foundation for drowning prevention.

This year TEAM WLSL™ will be setting its sights on a new goal -- reaching more than one billion with the message Swimming Lesson Save Lives™ by 2019. Local WLSL events will take place at hundreds of locations in more than 20 countries on five continents over the course of 24 hours.

By joining our voices together, members of TEAM WLSL™ believe that we can make a positive difference in the lives of children and adults around the world and drive home the message that learning to swim is as important to general safety as wearing a helmet when riding a bike or wearing a seat belt when riding in a car.

To find out where the event is taking place near you go here: http://www.wlsl.org/WLSL/For_Parent...spx?hkey=53edeb0c-770d-490a-abd4-bbfa5035511a

FelaShrine

Like most community resources, their budgets have been slashed year after year so they have to make up the costs.

Exactly. where are they supposed to get the money from to keep everything intact?

M She said, "No. And I don't want to either. I'm just going to be cute sitting by the pool with my beach bag and sun hat". She said pools and bodies of water are dirty and she isn't getting in...

:rolleyes: Super lame.

Last edited:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
It's part of our school curriculum. If you can't swim by grade 6, you will not be moved up to grade 7.

DS' preschool gives the kids swimming classes, but he's not swimming well yet. We'll work on it this summer and have fun at the same time. I love water.
It was a part of my hs curriculum, freshman year as a matter of fact. You HAD to taking swimming and pass or you would fail P.E. and in the State of IL 4 years of P.E. is required to graduate hs.