taking accurate length check pictures?

youwillrise

i'm natural and i mostly take those "nearly twist your arm off while pulling the back of your hair" length check pictures.

so, for me tips on taking those would be most appreciated

but ANY length check picture accuracy tips are invited

sometimes i feel like the progress i see in pictures
isnt actually what is happening
i feel like...i'm doing something wrong
or my neck might be scrunched down a little
(it is hard to keep your neck up while taking these pictures. ow)

i just wanted some input from you all!!!

For progress photos, I don't even bother trying to measure my hair 'down'

2254362840_ff2ecbac51_m.jpg
2254362254_64ea1cf2c3_m.jpg

I just let it stand up and do it's thing. I finally got smart with the braid in the front, and I think this time (I'm about to take another set) I'll do a braid in the back as well.

No, the braid won't be the PERFECT length, but since I doubt I'll ever use much heat, my hair will rarely be stretched all the way out, so the braid is a good compromise, for me.

What I've recently started doing is taking my pics in the same location everytime so that I can have a point of reference, which will hopefully lead to same sized pics. I also have my DH stretch my hair as he takes my pic. If you have someone that can help you that would be ideal. If I didn't have someone there, I would probably flat-iron my hair, but not do length checks that often. What nappywoman suggested was also a good idea :grin:

i find it easier to stretch the hair to the front. also this could work better if you stretch that section of hair foward and then braid it up like nappywombmyn suggested... at least then it is hanging so you can throw it back over your shoulder and then it is easier to reach from behind. even i find it hard to get a section of my nape hair from behind and stretch it down... and it almost touches my shoulders shrunken.

What I've recently started doing is taking my pics in the same location everytime so that I can have a point of reference, which will hopefully lead to same sized pics. I also have my DH stretch my hair as he takes my pic. If you have someone that can help you that would be ideal. If I didn't have someone there, I would probably flat-iron my hair, but not do length checks that often. What nappywoman suggested was also a good idea :grin:

What she said, I also try to have my updates taken in the same locations, also involving friends or family to help with the shots...they no longer moan and groan :grin:

Back