taking box brailds out of your hair!!

Does anyone have any tips for taking box braids out of your hair without doing too much damage to th hair. Everytime I take my hair out of box braids out, my hair grows, but it gets thinner, due to the amount of hair that comes out when I take the braids out!!!
Help, should I try steaming my hair or put a conditioner in my hair, Does anyone have any ideas that would cut down on hair loss?

Keen

I tried the conditioner and that didn't go well for me. My suggestion is to comb them out in small section. Make sure your hair is well detangled before wetting them. Last weekend I decided to brush my hair with my denmam (sp?) brush instead of using a comb. I lost way less hair.

Simply_Kelz

I tried the conditioner and that didn't go well for me. My suggestion is to comb them out in small section. Make sure your hair is well detangled before wetting them. Last weekend I decided to brush my hair with my denmam (sp?) brush instead of using a comb. I lost way less hair.

ITA, also, I don't have a Denman but I use my wide toothed shower comb.

The key is to moisturize and wash your braids constantly while they are in. That way when you take them out you have less build up to deal with at the base of the braids. Build up can cause lots of hair loss. Find a good detangler and work it into the base of the braids. Keep your fingers wet as you take the braids out. It's sort of like the rule of "only handle hair while wet." Then work the build up area back and forth, sort of like separating it while wiggling it. Hold that area and pull your hair out of it. Finger separate your hair. Then you can use a wide tooth comb and detangle from the ends on up. However, I don't see how a wide tooth comb can help if you're in box braids...the sections of hair would be too small for the comb to be affective; a smaller tooth comb or better yet a denman brush would be better.

When I've take out my braids I barely loose any hair and because of the constant moisture...the hair is soft, especially the new growth. I've taken out 2 months of braids and didn't immediately wash bc I just washed the hair 2 days prior and it was fine. Even just jumping in the shower and letting the water run through your braids helps to keep in the moisture.

Reference: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html scroll down to the How To Take Out Extreme Build Up From Braid Extensions video.

HTH!