Taking communion

Renaylor

. In the Lutheran church I am presently attending they start communion classes for children in grade 2 and confirmation when they are 14 yrs old. My son is raised Lutheran and the prior church did not even suggest communion training even though my husband was a member of the church(This church was corrupt as we found out later and just like everything that does not foster Gods desires it failed and closed.) Since my son is almost 12 he will work with the pastor individually and he will be able to take communion with us and my daughter will start when she reachs 2nd grade. We plan on becoming members. I was baptized in my 20's at a Methodist Church but I am converting to Lutheran. If I am baptized in the church and confirmed by my former reverend so is that enough for me to take communion? This has been a question of mine over the years. . Jesus disciples were baptized and they sat the table of the Lord and they were worthy. For years I was made to feel as if I was not good enough to take communion.My mom told me that you can't take communion if you are not a member of a particular church. My responsibility now is to make such my children get it done right but I have to set the example. This is just so confusing---any thoughts?

4 me the only reason to take communion is if you are within sin...
I am HUMBLE before the Lord at all times, so my question is, should I just never take it? I mean, I count fighting with my sister a sin... :perplexed:
I pass the cup a lot... and I'm baptised... I don't want to be guilty of the blood... but I may be misunderstanding it...
However, I don't know if I want to look on here for the answer :lachen:
I think my pastor will be able to answer that for me...

good post lady

divya

I believe in taking communion because Christ ask us to do this in remembrance of Him. The Lord's Supper was a new ordinance given by the Lord to remember His sacrifice for us. It is time of humility and gratefulness for what He has done for us.

In my faith (Seventh-Day Adventist), communion is open. A person does not have to be trained for communion. Anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as Savior is welcome to take part. So you, as a member of the Lutheran faith, are welcome to take communion with us because you believe in Jesus Christ. :yep:

1 Cor. 11:23-26 - For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

. In the Lutheran church I am presently attending they start communion classes for children in grade 2 and confirmation when they are 14 yrs old. My son is raised Lutheran and the prior church did not even suggest communion training even though my husband was a member of the church(This church was corrupt as we found out later and just like everything that does not foster Gods desires it failed and closed.) Since my son is almost 12 he will work with the pastor individually and he will be able to take communion with us and my daughter will start when she reachs 2nd grade. We plan on becoming members. I was baptized in my 20's at a Methodist Church but I am converting to Lutheran. If I am baptized in the church and confirmed by my former reverend so is that enough for me to take communion? This has been a question of mine over the years. . Jesus disciples were baptized and they sat the table of the Lord and they were worthy. For years I was made to feel as if I was not good enough to take communion.My mom told me that you can't take communion if you are not a member of a particular church. My responsibility now is to make such my children get it done right but I have to set the example. This is just so confusing---any thoughts?

You have to go by that christian community. If they do not wish you to commune with them, then you shouldn't until you have fully joined that community. You should speak to a minister there to ask. I've seen people refused communion in a Lutheran church because they thought the person wasn't Lutheran (Black Caribbean friend of mine). She's actually Lutheran. The "priest" apologized later.

Renaylor

You have to go by that christian community. If they do not wish you to commune with them, then you shouldn't until you have fully joined that community. You should speak to a minister there to ask. I've seen people refused communion in a Lutheran church because they thought the person wasn't Lutheran (Black Caribbean friend of mine). She's actually Lutheran. The "priest" apologized later.
Our pastor is great, I explained what happened in the circumstances of my son and he is taking him under his wing for the communion training. They basically do this so that children understand communion and its meaning which I am all for. Communion is about remembering Jesus's sacrifice he made for us, his body and blood. We are joining the church and the pastor made a home visit with us last week and talked with us about our backgrounds and so forth to get to know us as parishoners. I will ask him though regarding my circumstances and see what he says, my husband was raised in the Anglican faith so he was baptized as a baby.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'm in a nondenominational church and we have open communion, to anyone who has accepted Jesus and believe that they are at peace with Man and God. I believe communion, like prayer, is a person connection with God; so I don't agree with a closed communion. To me, communion is like a "spiritual refresher," that a believer can do anytime, esp over a particular problem we're experiencing in life and are praying on something. DH and I do communion together on our own, and we've participated in it as part of our marital ceremony. What communion is (to us) is a celebration of our spiritual connection with the body of Christ....something continual.

God bless

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I just took communion tonight to plead the blood on some personal challenges... God is good! :clap:

Amen... :rosebud: