Taking supplements at night?

**Jade**

So I was in the health food store the other day and her the owner talking to this lady about how taking supplements at night increases the amount absorbed.... anyone ever heard this before? What do you think a bunch of crap or may actually be true?

JessCNU

I have read many posts on the forum where people say they take their vids at night. I just started this so we shall see. I hope it works :)

Evolving78

i take them at night because that is when i remember. be careful, some might keep you up at night (giving energy)

naturalgurl

I think it's true and I"m going to start back taking my vits at night. When you sleep your body slows down thus the vits get more absorbed. During the day your metabolism is so high and fluids are flowing, most get washed away. Thanks for bringing this subject back around.

kandake

I take mine at night. There's no rhyme or reason. Its good to know that I may be doing a good thing.

Lovestyr

yes , i can undertstand why you would take your supplements a night . i actually take mine when i wake up in the morning and before i go to bed. :look:

normacyri

I have taken my Vite's at night since my first prenancy. I found those BIG horsepills didn't make me sick if I took them before bed.

**Jade**

hmmm this is good to know i was going to try and see what happened and also b/c I NEVER remember them in the morning until I get to work.... Thank's ladies I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of this!!

WONDERFUL!! Learn something new everyday... or fifty-million times a day in the case of LHCF

Forever in Bloom

I always take mine at night :yep: However, since I found out taking vitamin c and b-12 at the same time can mess with b-12 absorption, I take my vitamin c in the a.m.

IntoMyhair

So if the directions call for 3 a day. You ladies take all 3 at once at night? My hair skin and nails vits say 3 a day.

TIA

Lady S

I stretch mine out during the day. So, in the morning I take my multivitamin, in the afternoon I take a garlic supplement and biotin and at night I take flaxseed oil. Haven't really noticed a difference if I take something earlier in the day or later.

Now when I was on iron supplements, I purposely took those at night because caffeine inhibits iron from being absorbed in the body and I was drinking mountain dew or coffee to wake up in the morning.

tricie

Yeah, I can't take them all at night, but I do take the biotin, MSM and B-100 at night, so I won't "flush" them out during the day. Everything else I take in the morning and during the day. I still take so many, some of em get skipped during the day.

audacity.

Hmmmm, you might wake up feeling energized instead of sluggish...at least by the time they kick into full gear.

girl, naw :lol:

i'm ALWAYS sleepy! been that way since....forever LOL

sleep....it's what i do...not even b vitamins are gonna mess up my sleep! :nono: :lol:

amara11

I can understand the argument to take them at night, I take mine at night0 but only because vitamins normally make me queasy and that problem is solved by me taking them at night.

However, the argument that it's because you're metabolism is slower at night- is actually counterproductive in this instance.
When you're consuming vitamins and minerals you want a faster metabolism.

Metabolism is what allows these supplements to be broken down so that your body can actually use them and enhance itself. Having a slower metabolism at night is not what helps vitamin absorption. Things cannot be broken down as well if they're not fully metabolized.

I'm not saying there aren't benefits to taking vitamins at night, but metabolism (being that it's slower) is sure not one of them.

Tybi

I agree with amara^^^^. I take my multi and b vits during the day for the increased energy. Plus I know that the multi absorbs better with food, and I am usually not eating late at night.

My calcium supplement and omega3s go down right before bed. I read long ago that calcium and magnesium help with melatonin production and thus provide better sleep. I don't know why I take the omega3 at night, I just do!

malibu4590

I take my vitamins in the morning when I get home from work so that's right before bed for me. I work overnight.

hurricane

So I was in the health food store the other day and her the owner talking to this lady about how taking supplements at night increases the amount absorbed.... anyone ever heard this before? What do you think a bunch of crap or may actually be true?

I take mine at night. I remember when I was pregnant I could not take vitamins in the morning because it made me sick. Plus it is easier for me to remember also.

discodumpling

Supplements that seem to impart energy for me are taken in the morning; this includes my multi, msm or biotin & vit c. I take my B complex at night because it truly does help me to wake up feeling less groggy.

Mrs.Fitness

I thought you have to drink a lot of water with vitamins. Do you drink 64 oz of water at night too. Thought water was need to absorb vitamins. I dont get this.

Noir

I take MSM and B-complex in the morn because they give me energy and keep me awake! I also take Biotin in the morn so that I am taking it with the B-complex (to aid in better absorption)

Multi-vit is whenever in the day for reasons Amara stated above. The body is able to better metabolize the vits (and food) during the day when the metabolism is running at its peak.

I suffer from low blood calcium and magnesium due to hypoparathyroidism so I take my calcium, magnesium oxide and prescribed medication at night even though calcium is better absorbed between meals.