Tangle Teezer/Tamer.

Hairroots

Ok ladies, I went out and purchased the tangle teezers/tamer because I have a issue with detangling my hair. Wet or dry it does not matter. I experience too much hair loss . Before I start using this little tool, can I get some reviews from those of you that have experienced using the tangle teezer and from those that may be interested? Natural heads or relaxed heads all information is valuable to me. I just want to get my hair breakage/loss under control while detangling!

ProtectiveStyling

Ok ladies, I went out and purchased the tangle teezers/tamer because I have a issue with detangling my hair. Wet or dry it does not matter. I experience too much hair loss . Before I start using this little tool, can I get some reviews from those of you that have experienced using the tangle teezer and from those that may be interested? Natural heads or relaxed heads all information is valuable to me. I just want to get my hair breakage/loss under control while detangling!
I wouldn't use the tangle teezer. Ive never tried it but I have read many negative reviews about the small tool causing split ends and breakage.

reeko43

unfortunately, I lost a lot of hair when I used it while transitioning. I gave mine away and haven't used one since I became fully natural.. Some have had great success. Try it and take it back if it doesn't work for you.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I 'prefer' the Denman D-24 Double Row Detangling Comb. Removes Sheds, nicely spaced teeth.

It's the Real Deal for Detangling.

I have the Tangle-Teezer and will use it from time to time for smoothing, once I've fully Detangled.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Many have used it with great success but I wasn't one. All was great at first and then I started experiencing mid shaft splits and weak areas along the shaft. These are things I never struggled with prior to using the TT.

JJamiah

I have used the Tangle Teezer since 2010 with no issues :); I am super thankful for it. I love Love love my Tangle Teezer. I warn that don't just rake through your hair without trying to get as many tangles out fingering or with a larger comb before using it. I use my Magic Rake comb if my hair is tangled at the roots, but if it is a few end tangles or middle, I use my tangle teezer. Never had split end issues or breakage from using it.

silenttullip

Ditto what she said.

Many have used it with great success but I wasn't one. All was great at first and then I started experiencing mid shaft splits and weak areas along the shaft. These are things I never struggled with prior to using the TT.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

i tried it and it was turrible for me. i mean, yes it does a great job at detangling, don't get me wrong. however it took out too much hair plus i heard that it leads to split ends.

Nonie

Funny that this thread came up. Earlier today, Mwedzi's old review of the Tangle Teezer thread was on the first page. OP, you must have missed it since you started this thread. The link to that thread is below. (I personally never understood how brushes or this thing are supposed to be better for detangling than a comb. I have always felt one row of teeth (or better yet, the end tooth of a comb) was not only safer but it was easier to control and ensure that the teeth are going in-between the strands and not raking along them ripping at the cuticle :nono: the way staggered teeth of a brush might. One row might go between strands but the next raw scrapes along strands. *shudder* I think brushing is responsible for mid-shaft splits.)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=539749

Last edited:

Hairroots

Nonie I didn't see the earlier thread. I was so excited about my purchase and was in need of reviews. There are so many mixed reviews. I'm going to give it a go in a few days once I take my braidouts down. It's amazing how something can work well for someone and not another.

Last edited:

Hairroots

My results: I used the tangle teezer today for the first time after taking my 4 day braidout down. It didn't pull my hair out like i thought it would. I didn't loose too much hair at all. It felt like only the shedded hair from within my braidout came out. My hair felt smooth afterwards also. Now the real test is on my wet hair.

Attachments

• photo[2].jpg
    photo[2].jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 47

HanaKuroi

Hairroots said:
My results: I used the tangle teezer today for the first time after taking my 4 day braidout down. It didn't pull my hair out like i thought it would. I didn't loose too much hair at all. It felt like only the shedded hair from within my braidout came out. My hair felt smooth afterwards also. Now the real test is on my wet hair.

Yeah, that is how it was with me nice and smooth. You won't see any damage until later. I didn't get split ends just midshaft splits that I didn't notice until months later.

Hairroots

Yeah, that is how it was with me nice and smooth. You won't see any damage until later. I didn't get split ends just midshaft splits that I didn't notice until months later.

Thanks for the heads up! Did you use it on wet and or dry hair? If i notice any hair damage from this tool, it will get retired. Once i determine if it works best for me on wet or dry hair, then i will only use it for detangling on wash day! My next try is on wet hair with alot of conditioner.

HanaKuroi

I used it with conditioner and on straight hair. If it was split ends that could have been easily trimmed. Not midshaft splits.

KurlyNinja

Never had a problem with it but ever since the bad reviews, I use it sparingly. I pull out the TT about once every 1-2 months. I do mostly finger detangling anyway.

AHeadOfCoils

I had "mid"shaft splits that turned into split ends after a trim. Then the split ends created single strand knots. I lost almost 3 inches of hair in less than two weeks. One inch from the initial trim, another from it breaking off at the point of Ssk's and another after my trim to officially get rid of all the ssks and splits.

Now, I use the TT on my Pomeranian's hair.

I love Tangle Teezer, honestly I do not have very tangly hair unless it's VERY dry but I like to use it as my regular daily brush... and it is brilliant on knots.
My mom wears weaves and she made me order 2 or 3 of them for her after I sent her my first one :lol:.

la mosca

I don't know what I would do without my TT. I've been using it with every wash for the past 1.5 years or so, and it has helped me stretch my relaxers longer than ever -- 6 to 7 months. It removes shed hair like a dream, virtually eliminatig knots and mats. I use it on shampooed and conditioned damp hair after first detangling with the Ouidad Double Detangler (another fantastic product).

ETA: I have fine hair.

Last edited:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Not a fan! I got it for my boys when they were 6 or 8 months maybe. Their hair isn't hard at all, but it is Thick, and they're serious PITA's about having it combed, and brushed. It worked magic at first, and not a tear or a yell from them, but after a while I did see it was damaging their hair. Baby hair isn't supposed to have split ends!! I stopped using it, and started using the Cricket Professional Friction Free Pick Comb, and it's been just as good if not better, because no hair damage.

I tried it on my hair a few times, cause the postpartum shedding had me at a TWA, but didn't like it. I like a firmer bristle, like the Denman, to get down to the scalp. Seamless Bohn Combs are my weapon of choice.

HanaKuroi

AHeadOfCoils said:
I had "mid"shaft splits that turned into split ends after a trim. Then the split ends created single strand knots. I lost almost 3 inches of hair in less than two weeks. One inch from the initial trim, another from it breaking off at the point of Ssk's and another after my trim to officially get rid of all the ssks and splits.

Now, I use the TT on my Pomeranian's hair.

Maybe that is what is going on with my bangs. I see some splits there at the ends. The mid shaft splits have grown out and are at my ends I guess.
I started finger combing and using the shower comb occasionally after the tangle teaser nightmare.
I don't use heat so it isn't from that. What a mess. I had/have ssk in my bangs. I used the teaser more often in the front.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Use with caution OP. I thought it was the bomb.com for the first couple of months until the mid-shaft splits appeared. I do not have fine strands either, but everyone's hair is different...shrug.

MeowMix

Hi OP,
This is just one of THOSE things. People either love it or hate it. Thanks NappyNelle and Nonie for the thread links. I'm with divachyk, AHeadOfCoils, HanaKuroi and grownwomanaz use with caution. I loved the TT at first. It made my hair look like a blowout without the heat.

Very soon I started noticing that my ends were tapering down to POINTS. Seriously, they looked like needles and they started to get really red. Finally, I noticed that the Ktube conditioner was doing NOTHING for them. I finally had to cut them. The sad thing is that if preciouslove0x didn't start her thread I would have kept on using it. Once I saw the mwedzi thread and her results, I just threw it out. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Postal

I'm relaxed and I've used it about 3 times. I haven't noticed any excessive breakage with it. I use it when my hair has been freshly washed and conditioned. I'm scared now because of all of these bad reviews but it definitely leaves your hair smooth and detangled.