Tangle Teezer vs Shampoo Brush

krissyprissy

I was wondering if the Tangle Teezer ($10) is the same thing as the old school shampoo brush ($2). I have been using a regular shampoo brush to comb out tangles and smooth for years. This is what my stylist used at the shampoo bowl back in the day and I have two that I alternate between. When I looked at the Tangle Teezer at Sally's I thought they looked the same but the Tangle Teezer is much higher in price. I'm just wondering if I should even bother purchasing one if it works the same as a good ole trusty shampoo brush.

Shampoo Brush

Tangle Teezer

Roux

not for me. I bought one thinking it was the same and the teeth weren't as long and my hair snagged into it and had a few broken hairs.

LadyPBC

OK - cuz I had the same question. They look the same to me. We had a natural hair meet this past weekend and there was a demonstration. The young lady that was the client did not flinch or report any discomfort when it was used on her natural hair. You just reminded me to go out to buy one on my lunch break. Thanks (I think).

Fab_Nikki

I haven't used a shampoo brush in ages but I can say with a confident HECK no they aren't the same. Tangle Teaser is super soft on my scalp and the shampoo brush is liable to just scalp you. Lol TT all day!

faithVA

If you use the shampoo brush and it works fine for you, why not stay with it. I have both. I never tried using the shampoo brush. From my memory it was a bit flimsy and I have dense, tightly curled hair.

I will give it a try when I get home tonight. My first guess is for my hair, the shampoo brush is too flimsy for my hair. It also doesn't have enough surface area for me to move through my hair quickly. And I have a feeling the different lengths of the teeth on the TT are significant.

But I will check it out and post back.

empressri

hell no. i have a shampoo brush and it surely does NOT work the same way as my TT. the bristles are longer on the TT and it's bigger all around. my hair would laugh if i tried to detangle it with a shampoo brush.

Missjae09

I could not see trying to detangle with the shampoo brush.. IMO it doesn't compare to my beloved TT. :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Amoreofcurls

Funny this thread came up...When that tangle teezer thread was posted weeks ago I saw someone make a reference to a shampoo brush being the same so I tried it... It was the one they sell for 79 cent at sallys...It did smooth my hair out, but it also took (and ripped) some hair out .You would have to use super small sections because the bristles are short...Now that I own the tangle teezer I can tell you they are definitely not the same..The tangle teezer bristles are way longer and pliable...

Blkprincess

I've had the shampoo brush much longer than the TT(years), and the shampoo brush worked great on detangling my hair miraculously when I was transitioning. Very little hair came out because the bristles gave way. Only problem with the shampoo brush was that the bristles would break easily sometimes, but for the price, it's the most frugal you can go cost wise in comparison to the TT. My reasoning behind getting the TT was because it was so similar to the shampoo brush, the bristles are similar in length, but the TT has the short bristles nestled in between unlike the shampoo brush. I've been natural since August '09', and for the first time, I was able to put my hair in its first ponytail using the TT; that was a miracle within itself even though it took more than 2 hours. :yep:

Fhrizzball

Good luck trying. Mine's been out of stock for weeks. It's a good thing I got it before the TT went wildfire like it did. The bristles of mine are kinda bent now though so I should probably get a back up just in case. I wonder how long TT is good for?

faithVA

Ok so much for giving it a try. I must have thrown my shampoo brush away since I wasn't using it.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Funny this thread came up...When that tangle teezer thread was posted weeks ago I saw someone make a reference to a shampoo brush being the same so I tried it... It was the one they sell for 79 cent at sallys...It did smooth my hair out, but it also took (and ripped) some hair out .You would have to use super small sections because the bristles are short...Now that I own the tangle teezer I can tell you they are definitely not the same..The tangle teezer bristles are way longer and pliable...

I don't know if you were referring to my post in that thread, but the shampoo brush(es) I was referring to were different than the ones you describe from sally's even different than the ones pictured in this OP.

The brushes I am referring to were purchased in the early-mid 90s one is goody brand and the other came from walgreens. They are handled and a little smaller than TT, but the bristles are the same length as the TT & the bristles are a little thicker and the the whole thing is sturdier than a TT or the flimsy looking type of shampoo brushes I see at Sally's. I used them from from TWA to ~WL with no problems.Even though I relaxed later I kept them, because I knew I would return to natural again sometime. i have been dealing with my hair in sections since late 90s it became 2nd nature as I am a reformed rough handler.

Hope that made some things clearer.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I never used a shampoo brush, but I remember back in the day, guys in school swear that thing helped them with their waves :lol:

Maybe one day I will buy a TT, but I'm not in a rush since I don't use brushes on my hair as a way to detangle. I believe detanglation (not a word, lol) starts with a heavy emollient conditioner with slip.

naturalTAN

I think that was my observation on BHM, right? I've used the shampoo brush from Sally's since my bc and I've had no problems but this may be because I use smallish (8) sections to detangle.