Tangles, Knots & Furballs, Oh My!!!

wyldcurlz

lately my hair ALWAYS has some type of serious tangly, furball looking knot in it!!!

this is a new problem and i'm not sure what could be causing it. i condition a lot - wear WnG - detangle about weekly (sometimes twice a week) - my hair is colored.

any help on how to deal with them or diminish the problem?

i need all the help i can get! (thanks in advance.)

Ogoma

Did you color recently?

You might need a trim or your cuticles are raised (high porosity) leading to more tangles.

wyldcurlz

Ogoma i'm wondering if that is it. No, my highlights were done in November (they screwed up and had to re-dye them TWICE again in December and yet again in late January/early February.)

I'm thinking my cuticles might just be raised & that my hair might be very porous because all of a sudden it looks frizzy when its wet, i have tangles and its just frizzier overall.

So a trim might be the answer Ogoma??? Hmm, thank you!! Now i've gotta research what to do with high porosity hair!

Ogoma

I don't know if a trim would help, but what I use as an indicator that I need to trim is when my ends start tangling.

RoundEyedGirl504

Ogoma i'm wondering if that is it. No, my highlights were done in November (they screwed up and had to re-dye them TWICE again in December and yet again in late January/early February.)

I'm thinking my cuticles might just be raised & that my hair might be very porous because all of a sudden it looks frizzy when its wet, i have tangles and its just frizzier overall.

So a trim might be the answer Ogoma??? Hmm, thank you!! Now i've gotta research what to do with high porosity hair!

You might wanna try porosity control conditioner to help smooth the cuticle. I've had this too and I found my elasticity was off.

KinkyRN

Roux porosity correcting conditioner is the ish. Used it for the first time yesterday and fell in love. Don't let the price ($14) scare you away. It is worth every cent!!

faithVA

Have you done protein treatments consistently after that? With double processing, you definitely want to do protein reguarly.

wyldcurlz

faithVA no. i didn't really know what to do after all that. it happened late last year. they only told me to DC with coconut oil. i've added some protein leave-ins like porosity control leave in which i use occasionally. looks like i might need to step up my protein.

faithVA

[USER=8005 said:
wyldcurlz[/USER];19022175]faithVA no. i didn't really know what to do after all that. it happened late last year. they only told me to DC with coconut oil. i've added some protein leave-ins like porosity control leave in which i use occasionally. looks like i might need to step up my protein.

Probably what you are experiencing is an issue with the protein in your strands. All chemicals impact the protein in your strands one way or another. So if you have a chemical treatment and don't balance out the protein in your hair then over time you will see signs of it. Leave-ins only work on the surface of your hair. You need a reconstructor, a keratin protein treatment or a protein that is meant to bind.

faithVA

[USER=8005 said:
wyldcurlz[/USER];19024481]thanks faithVA - i will try it. maybe aphogee? i'll pick one up tomorrow! how often should i do protein treatments?

Some like aphogee. If you are going to Sally's, they have sample packs of ION Reconstructor you can try.

I color my hair 1st a quarter. I use a reconstructor 3 days after and then once a month after that. If I feel I need it I use a a non keratin protein conditioner in between. But my hair is low porosity. With high porosity hair you may need to do more often.

Start with once a month and then if you need to increase it.