~~TBL 2012 Challenge~~

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@FoxxyLocs

Touche! :grin:

Yeah, well. Let me see what I can get. They're looking a bit ratty right now since I washed 'em. I'm pretty much wearing my twists braided up righ now. :look: But maybe I can stumble across a cute angle.

Ratchetness. I'm doing an overnight DC in twists right now. Tomorrow I plan to M&S and retwist as many as I can. Hubby is out of town with work for a few days. That gives me much more time to myself. I'll try to post twist pics after I retwist. They get fuzzy so fast but still, I like the convenience of them. I don't really wear them out as much as I am able to braid them and pull them up to bun.

Also, I have less than two weeks left before I flat iron my hair. I'm VERY anxious to see where I am after all the trimming and trying not to stretch or pull to check my length. I'm hoping to find healthy ends and a decent hemline. In any case, I'm excited because the end of this month is the halfway mark for this year. You ladies feel like you're on target? (I'll be able to answer that question sometime next week.

Oh, and I will post pics. :grin:

Vintagecoilylocks

NJoy Well, I am with you on the no checking length. I put my self on the no check length challenge. I can not believe how tough it is. I can check my length June 21 and it seems like months from now. Just staying in twists that are braided up and bunned to keep my hands out. CW every 4 days. Fighting to keep it moistured through these dry days. Watching youtubes of others mess in their hair helps keep me out of mine. Did treat myself to a new conditioner this week. Will see how it works. My goals for this year was to get my shortest layer to lower TBL. I believe I will make it. Also My bulk that was at APL I am striving for lower MBL or waist. That might be iffy but thats the goal. Won't mention my fringe. Its is snails growth speed. My lower layer that was at TBL is slowly thickening up. I no longer twists a few strands of hair.:lachen:

It does look like we will have a army of hip and beyond ladies soon to go for Classic and beyond. I know there are plenty out there who don't post here but its nice to have the companionship of the ladies that do post and share. That goes for the one's who lurk and than do youtube video's too. I appreciate them sharing in that medium. And all the other youtubers are greatly appreciated :yep:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
FoxxyLocs

Too lazy to retwist 'em. I just sort of sprayed them and slapped some oil on the ends and am calling it a day. As I've said, I plan to post some official pics between the 20th to 23rd. I plan a cut/trim on the 20th, depending on my hemline (which I hope I haven't jacked up with my tips trims).

Posting these pics no es bueno. :nono: It just really shows how crazy my relaxed ends look compared to my natural hair. That's why I'm keeping them bunned up while in twists. But anyway, here ya go!

Don't quote the ratchetness. I may take 'em down later. Thanks!

FoxxyLocs

I like them! Even with the relaxed ends, I'm sure they look cute when you bun them, which is the only way I wear my twists anyway.

NJoy - how much are you planning to trim? You still have a good length even if you cut the relaxed ends, although I understand if you plan to get to your goal length before cutting.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I like them! Even with the relaxed ends, I'm sure they look cute when you bun them, which is the only way I wear my twists anyway.

@NJoy - how much are you planning to trim? You still have a good length even if you cut the relaxed ends, although I understand if you plan to get to your goal length before cutting.

Well, I don't know about cute but they sure are convenient. Today I actually wore them loose tho. I braided them in two braids last night and curled the ends under. I'm not used to feeling my hair on my back so, that was cool for a bit. Then I started to feel like I was in dreds (because they're fuzzy again) and looking like my brother so, I pulled the front ones back with a flexi 8 but ended up bunning the whole lot anyway. :giggle:

In any case, I have easy access to my scalp, can cowash without tangling and can pull them up or braid them back for easy styling. Convenient. That'll work for now.

I'll probably end up flat ironing next week straight from twists too. :look: Ehn. We'll see.

NJoy

Here I grow again!

NJoy - how much are you planning to trim? You still have a good length even if you cut the relaxed ends, although I understand if you plan to get to your goal length before cutting.

Huh? I missed the whole 2nd part of the question. I'm planning to trim all of the relaxed ends by the end of the year. So far I'm doing an inch at a time. I'll have to see where I am this month. I may just chop then. I do have a decent amount of unrelaxed hair. We'll see next week.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I really am loving wearing my twists in a high ponytail. Why didn't somebody tell me?

I may as well have fun with my ends out. I'm gonna cut them anyway.

FoxxyLocs

I washed and DC'd on friday with GPB mixed w/WC. I liked using them together. I blow dried on medium instead of high heat and found that the results are the same, so no need to use high heat anymore.

I did flat iron, but I ended up getting it wet the next day, so no pics. My sabino mb didn't help either, maybe I didn't use enough.

In a bun this week. I think I'll do chunky twists and bun for next week. Will probably DC again on Sunday or Monday.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Well, apparently my natural hair is not going to get flat like I'm used to with relaxed hair. I may need a professional to get it straight. Also, my hair was oily from heat protectant and since my flat ironed hair always comes out feeling a little stiff, I oiled it with CO too. Might as well. It was oily anyway. So, I took pics with 2nd day hair to let the oil absorb a bit.

Heavy oiling straight hair helped me to really see where my relaxed ends start. I'm just above bsl with that. (I'm tempted to BC these skimpy relaxed ends now but won't know what to do with my hair.) The thickness is crazy. I wonder how I'll feel about HL natural because it feels like so much now. But, I'm going to stick with my HL goal for now and continue with trimming an inch or two at a time.

I'm in TN on the riverfront til Sunday. The humidity is crazy and my hair is reverting already. No biggie. I'd rather have my hair up anyway.

Anywho, here are my pics. I'm 14 months post.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21-1.jpg
    2012-06-21-1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 2012-06-21160453.jpg
    2012-06-21160453.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 2012-06-21155024.jpg
    2012-06-21155024.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 114

FoxxyLocs

NJoy - what size flat iron do you use? And what temp do you straighten on?

BSL is really good growth for 14 months. Your natural hair will be HL in no time!

I'm tempted to straighten my hair again but I won't. I'm trying to hold out until August. I may blow dry when I wash this weekend. Maybe I'll try a braid out or a flexi set. I need to go buy some more purple rollers though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy - what size flat iron do you use? And what temp do you straighten on?

BSL is really good growth for 14 months. Your natural hair will be HL in no time!

I'm tempted to straighten my hair again but I won't. I'm trying to hold out until August. I may blow dry when I wash this weekend. Maybe I'll try a braid out or a flexi set. I need to go buy some more purple rollers though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs

I usually use 1.5" but somebody said a smaller one worked better (was it you?) so I got a 1". As for temp, I think I used 325-350. My hand kept moving the dial while I was flat ironing. And, my hair always makes me feel hot so, it seems like my hair starts poofing right away. I usually have a fan on hi just to keep my scalp from sweating. I already know I don't have flat ironing skills. My hair never comes out flat and flowy. And my natural hair, even less. But, I don't want to burn my hair with higher temps so, it is what it is. Oh, and because of that one burn, I wasn't doing more than 1...MAYbe 2 passes.

I think I'll be ready to BC once my hair gets to mbl. But in a way, I feel like my relaxed ends are preserving my ends while my natural hair grows so, that's also part of the reason I haven't just BC'd already.

I've been trimming my ends regularly when my hair is in twists. I think I'm gonna stop trimming in twists to make sure my hemline doesn't get hacked up.

Anywho... I'm planning on getting serious for these last 6 monts. I'm gonna need every inch I can get.

FoxxyLocs

@FoxxyLocs

I usually use 1.5" but somebody said a smaller one worked better (was it you?) so I got a 1". As for temp, I think I used 325-350. My hand kept moving the dial while I was flat ironing. And, my hair always makes me feel hot so, it seems like my hair starts poofing right away. I usually have a fan on hi just to keep my scalp from sweating. I already know I don't have flat ironing skills. My hair never comes out flat and flowy. And my natural hair, even less. But, I don't want to burn my hair with higher temps so, it is what it is. Oh, and because of that one burn, I wasn't doing more than 1...MAYbe 2 passes.

I think I'll be ready to BC once my hair gets to mbl. But in a way, I feel like my relaxed ends are preserving my ends while my natural hair grows so, that's also part of the reason I haven't just BC'd already.

I've been trimming my ends regularly when my hair is in twists. I think I'm gonna stop trimming in twists to make sure my hemline doesn't get hacked up.

Anywho... I'm planning on getting serious for these last 6 monts. I'm gonna need every inch I can get.

Yep that was me. Did you see a difference using the smaller iron?

I agree about the relaxed ends preserving the natural ends. I was just thinking about that the other day and wondering if that helped with retention for long term transitioners. I'm sure it does. I think MBL or WL would be a good length to go ahead and chop.

I went to the BSS near me today to get some more flexis. I'll do a set soon, but not today. I also got some marley braid hair to wrap around my baggy bun. We'll see how that turns out. I was really tempted to try some new products. They carry Qhemet, Kinky curly, and a whole bunch of other stuff I've heard the ladies on here raving about, but I was a good girl and didn't buy anything extra (except some eco styler:look:). Anyway, I was proud of myself.

FoxxyLocs

Shampooed and DC'd last night. Put my hair in a baggy bun with some marley braid hair wrapped around it.
I had to make the bun really big because of the size of my own bun, so it is pretty obvious that it's not real, but it's neat and the color and texture match ok, so whatever. I'm not really concerned about making it look natural, as long as it doesn't look completely crazy. I just wanted an easy PS.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Yep that was me. Did you see a difference using the smaller iron?

I agree about the relaxed ends preserving the natural ends. I was just thinking about that the other day and wondering if that helped with retention for long term transitioners. I'm sure it does. I think MBL or WL would be a good length to go ahead and chop.

I went to the BSS near me today to get some more flexis. I'll do a set soon, but not today. I also got some marley braid hair to wrap around my baggy bun. We'll see how that turns out. I was really tempted to try some new products. They carry Qhemet, Kinky curly, and a whole bunch of other stuff I've heard the ladies on here raving about, but I was a good girl and didn't buy anything extra (except some eco styler:look:). Anyway, I was proud of myself.

I don't know that I saw a difference in the results. (Although the iron was better and only needed one pass, mostly) Either way, I need help with my flat ironing skills. :blush: Y'all pray for me. I'm trying to be a straight-haired natural. How's that gonna work without good flat ironing skills?

@nakialovesshoes I'm looking for the teflon cover you mentioned. I think part of my bad flat ironing came from not really wanting to burn my hair.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I think I'm ready to BC this hair. I've been doing heavy oilings which really causes my relaxed end to mock me. I'm wondering why I'm really holding on to the relaxed hair. I think it's just the idea of cutting to a much shorter length. But, it's not like I'm wearing it out or even want to. And, it will grow back.

I was sure last night and warned hubby that it's time. He protested but eventually told me to do what I think is best. Today, I'm not as certaing but definitely leaning that way. We'll see what happens when I wash my hair today.

*I promise, wearing my hair braided always provokes me to cut*

lamaria211

NJoy said:
Well, apparently my natural hair is not going to get flat like I'm used to with relaxed hair. I may need a professional to get it straight. Also, my hair was oily from heat protectant and since my flat ironed hair always comes out feeling a little stiff, I oiled it with CO too. Might as well. It was oily anyway. So, I took pics with 2nd day hair to let the oil absorb a bit.

Heavy oiling straight hair helped me to really see where my relaxed ends start. I'm just above bsl with that. (I'm tempted to BC these skimpy relaxed ends now but won't know what to do with my hair.) The thickness is crazy. I wonder how I'll feel about HL natural because it feels like so much now. But, I'm going to stick with my HL goal for now and continue with trimming an inch or two at a time.

I'm in TN on the riverfront til Sunday. The humidity is crazy and my hair is reverting already. No biggie. I'd rather have my hair up anyway.

Anywho, here are my pics. I'm 14 months post.

You have beautiful hair:)

Vintagecoilylocks

I have been back and forth on whether to stay in mini braids or twists for the summer. Its to hot in my bathroom to deal with mini's so I went to 12 mediums. I don't think that will be all that fast to do but I want to minimize tangles. OK, I was't going to say anything but dumb dumb me yesterday was detangling and stopped to have lunch. A section of hair on the side of my head was loose when I went down to the kitchen. Someone had left the fan on so I decided to turn it toward the stove and bent down.:badidea: My hair was snatched into the fan with my head so hard it yank the whole section of hair out of my head. :shocked: The hair pin I had in my hair shut the fan off but not before my hair was pulled out. I screamed and my daughter came running. I really did not know what had happened it was so fast I felt like I had been hit in the head. Scared me so:cry3: They put ice on my head and we unplugged the fan. My daughter unwrapped the hair from the fan. When I saw it I :eek2::crybaby::thud: I was in shock the rest of the evening. Of course it was from my longest hair section. :whyme::

I finally was able to put away the ice and finished my hair. :ohwell: back to the drawing board. I then remembered how I used to loose handfulls of hair during the shedding. It wasn't physically painful but just as emotionally upsetting. :sad: At least this time its a one time incident and not every time I wash my hair anymore.:cry3::cry4:

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
^^^ Yeeeouch!!!!! Sorry that happened. It hurt just reading about it. Ah well, I guess one incident is loads better than continued heavy shedding. Sorry, honey.

FoxxyLocs

Whoa! That sounds so painful. I'm sorry that happened. That's one of my fears with having my hair down. I hope the damage isn't too severe :(

Sent from my HTC Evo

Vintagecoilylocks

Whoa! That sounds so painful. I'm sorry that happened. That's one of my fears with having my hair down. I hope the damage isn't too severe :(

Sent from my HTC Evo

My daughter said it's hardly noticable, but I tell you it will be a while before I feel safe with my hair any where but nicely secured in a bun.

lamaria211

Vintagecoilylocks said:
My daughter said it's hardly noticable, but I tell you it will be a while before I feel safe with my hair any where but nicely secured in a bun.

When its snatched out a few hairs can feel like half your head:) use the AC from now on:)

Vintagecoilylocks

I currently have a pre poo in and my baggy on. Trying to Co early in the day now. Going to bed with a wet head is getting old. I was soothing my hurt self watching Youtubers this morning. Leobody has such a beautiful head of hair. I watched her pre poo natural hair video. Have to make some recipies today also. May tweak my shea butter recipe to alittle thicker. Tried some Olive oil conditioner my daughter gave me for my 4ish hair. The hot weather has it so dry lately. It was Ok. I sometime use just EVO straight. Will definately do an oil rinse today. My head is still sore but I feel better about it. I decided to set a goal for solid Classic in 2013. Now that the shedding is over and it does look like things are growing back. I think I may be able to get there by next June with a good regrowth thickening things up.
I am in 11 twist but my goal is to reduce that down. I am going to be careful though and make sure I don't increase the chances of tangles. Finally got those down to a reasonable minimum. I like my curls but they can be the source of all the troubles if they are out of control.

NJoy Your hair is looking so good. That transitioning is a complicated time. I thought my relaxer would never grow out. I did do small trims of a few inches periodically during my transition until it was gone.

baladi0822

Vintagecoilylocks thank you :). I think it's because I got layers a few years ago, and whenever I trim now I just follow the layers as I trim, so it has kept that v-shape which I like too.

I have a quick update - it's not a typical length check in the sense that my hair is not straight, but last year my hair did not look this long in a curly/stretched state, so it looks like I'm definitely retaining length. My relaxed ends are starting to look thinner in comparison to my new growth which is now between APL/BSL I think in the bottom layers, but I'm ok with that as long as I keep breakage to a minimum. I'm planning on flat ironing again November/December and will post another picture then.

DSCF1869.JPG

candy626

baladi0822 said:
Vintagecoilylocks thank you :). I think it's because I got layers a few years ago, and whenever I trim now I just follow the layers as I trim, so it has kept that v-shape which I like too.

I have a quick update - it's not a typical length check in the sense that my hair is not straight, but last year my hair did not look this long in a curly/stretched state, so it looks like I'm definitely retaining length. My relaxed ends are starting to look thinner in comparison to my new growth which is now between APL/BSL I think in the bottom layers, but I'm ok with that as long as I keep breakage to a minimum. I'm planning on flat ironing again November/December and will post another picture then.

I'm not even apart of this challenge but I just have to say, your hair is gorgeous! Keep doing whatever the heck it is your doing