~~TBL 2012 Challenge~~

Dee Raven

Hey Ladies,

It feels like it's been a while. Great job on all the progress everyone. Vintage sorry to hear about your accident.

I'm still working on my wngs and wanted to show you guys some progress pics. I'm looking for a conditioner or leave in that's thick enough to clump the curls more, especially the ones in the back. I haven't tried gel yet. I think that will be my next experiment.

Attachments

• curls 2.jpg
    curls 2.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 126
  • curls 3.jpg
    curls 3.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 141
  • curls 1.jpg
    curls 1.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 97

Vintagecoilylocks

Hey Ladies,

It feels like it's been a while. Great job on all the progress everyone. Vintage sorry to hear about your accident.

I'm still working on my wngs and wanted to show you guys some progress pics. I'm looking for a conditioner or leave in that's thick enough to clump the curls more, especially the ones in the back. I haven't tried gel yet. I think that will be my next experiment.

Your hair is looking sooooo good. Not sure what you mean by clumping but 1ballareina uses shea butter recipe to "clump" her hair.

Vintagecoilylocks

Vintagecoilylocks thank you :). I think it's because I got layers a few years ago, and whenever I trim now I just follow the layers as I trim, so it has kept that v-shape which I like too.

I have a quick update - it's not a typical length check in the sense that my hair is not straight, but last year my hair did not look this long in a curly/stretched state, so it looks like I'm definitely retaining length. My relaxed ends are starting to look thinner in comparison to my new growth which is now between APL/BSL I think in the bottom layers, but I'm ok with that as long as I keep breakage to a minimum. I'm planning on flat ironing again November/December and will post another picture then.

View attachment 158641

Well you definately are retaining. It is looking thick in those area's. I

Vintagecoilylocks

JUst when I have a good regimine this hot dry weather forced me to increase a moisture routine. I am leery about increased washing so as not to manipulate so much. But so many people wash daily and are growing and retaining just fine. Might be a fear I just need to get over. :perplexed

I would have to find another style other than 8 braids/twists. I know that one youtuber interplanet rabbbit I think, she daily washes with hip length hair but she wears it out loose mostly. I did see where she was wearing one braid. I may have to experiment with that one week.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Hey Ladies,

Dee Raven

Wow! Your hair looks great! You're fully natural at what length? I love your curlies.

Dee Raven

Thanks, NJoy. Right now I'm HL straight and shoulder length curly. I know crazy shrinkage. But my hair pattern is coily so the curly length never really changes. My hair was practically the same length when I was BSL. :spinning:

Last edited:

Vintagecoilylocks

Thanks, NJoy. Right now I'm HL straight and shoulder length curly. I know crazy shrinkage. But my hair pattern is coily so the curly length never really changes. My hair was practically the same length when I was BSL. :spinning:

Same here. IT takes alot of growth for me to see a change in hanging length. So it will be a long while before I see a difference with out stretching.

Lucia

Hey Ladies,

try aubrey white camelia
it's very thick and creamy and tames fly aways
I always use it now under KCCC helps me save on product costs too.

FoxxyLocs

Braided my hair over the weekend. Planning to keep these in for a month. The pics didn't come out that clear so I didn't bother posting, sorry. My last flat iron was early june. I plan to straighten again in September for a length check. Other than that I'm just trucking along. Sticking with my routine and trying to take care of my ends.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Been wearing phonytails. I should've known better than lumping all my hair together. Stylewise, it looked nice. But now comes the detangling. Spent time tonight detangling. I have tomorrow to get it together. Why oh why did I get brand new right before my trip? Detoured to Tangle City. Ah well.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'v been out of town vacationing since Friday. I'm in Atlantic City now. I left with tangled hair under a wig and haven't had a chance to get to it yet. It's 7am and I'm letting my family sleep in so that I can try to wash do smething to this hair. Part of my drama is having dried product in my hair. AND, I didn't bring anything that I'll need to help me outta this mess. Smh.

But, the wigs have come in handy. I've been rocking a straight HL look. You. Can't. Tell. Me. A thing! LOL.

Anywho, I feel like my own hair is being neglected Big time. Ah well. Off to the shower.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm back from vacation and ready to give my hair the tlc it needs, after all that neglect. I feel like I've done a week long hair fast. Scalp feeling all dry. smh.

FoxxyLocs

I haven't checked in here in a while. I've had my hair in mini braids for 4 weeks. I'll probably start taking them out this weekend. I really don't want to, but I'm scared to leave them in for too long. 5 weeks is pretty good.

I really liked having these braids in. It's such an easy style. I don't know if I'll reinstall, though. It's a lot of work. So after I take these braids out, I'll either be bunning or rebraiding. Maybe I should keep PSing with these braids until my event in October instead of straightening in September. IDK if I can stand them for that long.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
After my knot drama, I'm back on track. I cut the knots out but decided not to BC yet. So, the transition continues.

I cowashed and did an acv rinse once since the drama. Last night i finally got around to thoroughly detangling and moisturizing my hair. I'm in four braids right now and happy with that.

Vintagecoilylocks

I haven't checked in here in a while. I've had my hair in mini braids for 4 weeks. I'll probably start taking them out this weekend. I really don't want to, but I'm scared to leave them in for too long. 5 weeks is pretty good.

I really liked having these braids in. It's such an easy style. I don't know if I'll reinstall, though. It's a lot of work. So after I take these braids out, I'll either be bunning or rebraiding. Maybe I should keep PSing with these braids until my event in October instead of straightening in September. IDK if I can stand them for that long.

Sent from my HTC Evo

I know what you mean about the braids. I enjoyed having them but not the tedious work to take them out and put them back. I am on a long break from them and back to larger braids. But I am always tempted to do them again :perplexed

FoxxyLocs

I decided to do some chunky twists instead of mini braids. I'll wear these a long as they last, then wash and retwist.

I do eventually want to do braids again. I'll keep the twists until I feel up to braiding. I have to keep up with sealing my ends though because twists can lead to ssks for me.

I pushed my next flat iron back to October. Hopefully I'll see some noticeable growth by then.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I put my hair in chunky twists too. I love it! I finally have enough natural hair to have thick, chunky twists that hangs a good length. I think I'm going to break it down into more twists and try a twistout on Friday night. I know these relaxed ends will mock me but, I'll try curling those under. Hey, it may be just the kick I need to BC. Still hoping to hold out until the end of the year but, don't put it past me. I'm feeling really good about the progress of my natural hair and it's thickness.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
This thread is mighty quiet these days. Sure would be nice to see some eye candy right about now. :lick:

Well, I don't have much to update. My hair is being nice these days. No tangling, no dreading, no problems (*knocks on wood*). I even have my hair in only 2 braids now.

I'd like to flat iron to see where I am at some point. I'm hoping that it won't be as time consuming as usual because it's acting better but, somehow I feel like that's a false sense of security. We'll see tho. I think it'll really be necessary to straighten out my hemline.

Welp. That's all I got. Next!

FoxxyLocs

I've just been bunning all summer. I started redoing my chunky twists to make them smaller. I'm taking my time doing them, but I want to be finished by Thursday. I think I'll wear these for the rest of the month.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I guess I'm gonna bow out of this challenge. Tonight is the night. Tonight I plan to BC. Yiiiiiiikes!!! :look:

FoxxyLocs

Why can't I ever get good flat iron results?!? So frustrating. I don't want to go back to the salon because I don't like the products/techniques they use, but they got my hair so silky straight. I straightened on a whim this morning. My blow dry results were much better than before, but my flat iron results came out poofy. My hair is straight, but it has no body at all. And it's oily because I used AOWC to DC which always leaves oily residue in my hair.

I'm going to wait a few weeks then straighten again with a different conditioner to DC with. I really font want to use higher heat though. Hopefully I can get good results by just working on my technique.

Dee Raven

Why can't I ever get good flat iron results?!? So frustrating. I don't want to go back to the salon because I don't like the products/techniques they use, but they got my hair so silky straight. I straightened on a whim this morning. My blow dry results were much better than before, but my flat iron results came out poofy. My hair is straight, but it has no body at all. And it's oily because I used AOWC to DC which always leaves oily residue in my hair.

I'm going to wait a few weeks then straighten again with a different conditioner to DC with. I really font want to use higher heat though. Hopefully I can get good results by just working on my technique.

Wait, so do you have pics? Please post.

Can you bump the ends to get more body? Maybe you can pincurl overnight too.

FoxxyLocs

I didn't take pics bc I'm in the HYH challenge. I think the lack of body is because of the oil left in my hair from my DC. It's just stiff instead of being silky and flowy. It's straight enough. I put it in a ponytail and it looks ok, but I know it could look better. When I got it done at the salon it was so pretty. I want those results at home :(

Dee Raven

Has anyone else experienced headaches at the longer length? My hair is near TBL again and the headaches have started back up again. I'm think this may be my max length. :ohwell:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Has anyone else experienced headaches at the longer length? My hair is near TBL again and the headaches have started back up again. I'm think this may be my max length. :ohwell:

oh wow! That never registered to me that headaches would be a future problem. :(