Tea Rinsing = Dry Hair??

omnipadme

I've jumped on the tea rinsing band wagon to combat shedding from MT, and I've noticed that my hair is dryer and rougher from it. So I make a batch of 32 oz's of green tea, 2 tea bags. I follow the tea rinse with vatika coconut oil and braid it up. I don't rinse out the tea (this may be my problem). I've done this 4 times and each time my hair was rough upon braidout and dryer throughout the day. Who's doing what differently?

Everything Zen

wow that's a new one to me :perplexed

I only use black tea as a final rinse and i've only done it a few times.

Have you considered cutting back on how often you do it?

Also I have never seen a recipe involving green tea. I have seen them for black, red herbal, even chamomile for blondes and I adore green tea (drink several cups a day) but I didn't use any on my hair because of it.

Good luck!

Everything Zen

Just thought of this- did you ever think it could be a reaction problem with the vatika oil or maybe it's the vatika oii itself?...

spinspinshuga

I've been rinsing out my tea, personally. I don't know if this counteracts its effectiveness, but I brew a cup of coffee and a cup of tea (green, black, and chamomile.) I pour the mix on and leave it on for ten minutes, then apply conditioner, leave the conditioner on for an additional five minutes, then rinse the whole thing. Even though I rinse the tea out, I've experienced less shedding, so I think it still works this way...

omnipadme

My hair is perfect just with vatika, perfect hair every time:notworthy. Do you rinse your hair with water multiple times after the tea rinses? I'm going to try cutting back to once a week, and experimenting with black next time.

VirtuousGal

I've jumped on the tea rinsing band wagon to combat shedding from MT, and I've noticed that my hair is dryer and rougher from it. So I make a batch of 32 oz's of green tea, 2 tea bags. I follow the tea rinse with vatika coconut oil and braid it up. I don't rinse out the tea (this may be my problem). I've done this 4 times and each time my hair was rough upon braidout and dryer throughout the day. Who's doing what differently?

I can almost promise you, its because you're leaving it in. I had no problems with dry hair and caffeine until I was in a rush to go out one night, so I left in Coffee/conditioner and did a quick blow bry. It felt pretty dry afterwards, I couldnt run my fingers through it without hairs pulling at each other, it was pretty rough. Other than that, when I rinse it out, my hair responds lovely to it, its even more receptive to conditioners, oils, you name it!

Naturelle

I can almost promise you, its because you're leaving it in. I had no problems with dry hair and caffeine until I was in a rush to go out one night, so I left in Coffee/conditioner and did a quick blow bry. It felt pretty dry afterwards, I couldnt run my fingers through it without hairs pulling at each other, it was pretty rough. Other than that, when I rinse it out, my hair responds lovely to it, its even more receptive to conditioners, oils, you name it!

I'm wondering if this was what made my hair dry this weekend...cause I thought I had super charged the moistures with a prepoo and a dc...but then I final rinse with a tea rinse infused with amla powder and I didnt rinse out...and although while it was wet it felt good...when it dried :eek:

Next wash for final rinse I'll take out that step and see

guyanesesista

I've also noticed that my hair has been quite dry and even less of a joy to comb. It started right around the time I started coffee rinsing, which I leave in. This thread has me connecting the dots. It's the only thing I've been doing differently. I'll try not leaving it in and see what happens.

charmtreese

I tea rinse weekly with no dry problem. I have fine, 4b, relaxed hair.

Here is what I do.

1. Cleanse hair
2. Protein treatment
3. Rinse w/ something moisturizing
4. Squeeze water out of hair
5. Pour tea on hair
6. Squeeze access tea out of hair
7. Apply moisturizing conditioner on top of tea
8. conditioner for at least 30 minutes
9. Rinse tea/Conditioner out
10. Apply leave-ins and set

My hair stays ubber moist all week with this regimen. The tea rinsing has been keeping my cuticles smooth and has also helped with porosity!!!

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Here is what I do:
- Poo
- Pour tea over hair, making sure to get my scalp
- leave tea rinse in for 10 mins
- add conditioner to hair and get under dryer for 20 mins
- rinse
- rollerset or air dry

I always end up with soft hair with little to no shedding or breakage. I use black tea.

omnipadme

ooo, my hair is so silky soft! The tea definitely has to be rinsed out for maximum benefit.

Okay, now I'm adding about 1/3 cup of brewed green tea with inecto coconut conditioner, 1 spoon of shikakai, brahmi, and alma. Scrub scalp & rinse = SOFTEST HAIR EVER. :lick:

hurricane

I've been rinsing out my tea, personally. I don't know if this counteracts its effectiveness, but I brew a cup of coffee and a cup of tea (green, black, and chamomile.) I pour the mix on and leave it on for ten minutes, then apply conditioner, leave the conditioner on for an additional five minutes, then rinse the whole thing. Even though I rinse the tea out, I've experienced less shedding, so I think it still works this way...

I like this method. :grin:

Lava27

I agree on rinsing out the tea. I just tried a black tea rinse for the first time last night and was shocked at how hard my hair felt when I poured it on! I left it on my hair about 2-3 min and then rinsed out. Hair felt ok, but after my DC (Banana Brulee :lick:) my hair felt great! Looks really shiny today :) I think I'll def keep this in the reggie, but since it almost has like protein like effect on my hair (i'm relaxed, wonder if this has anything to do with it, noticed a great deal of the tea rinsers are natural) I probably wont do with every wash.

alopeciagrl

This is exactly what I do too...NO SHEDDING...NEVER!!!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well I only tea rinse b4 my DC, and after letting it sit for like 5 min. or so I rinse with water than DC. I also make sure my hair is already combed through b4 tea rinsing.

flowinlocks

I've noticed my hair doesn't like tea rinsing and protein in the same go round. Because the tea temp. acts as a protien it dries my hair.

VidaStarr

I've noticed my hair doesn't like tea rinsing and protein in the same go round. Because the tea temp. acts as a protien it dries my hair.
I actually did a tea rinse in place of a protein treatment. It's so much easier than a protein treatment to me and it's cheaper and works just as good.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
My hair loves tea rinses, I do it up to 2x a week just depends on how I feel, but I've never rinsed my tea out, its my final rinse and I haven't suffered any ill effect by doing this way.

Angelicus

I use black tea as a final rinse. I do not rinse it out. My hair is softer and detangled every single time. I want to add that I only pour 1 cup over my hair.

DarkChyld

I used Stash Earl Grey Tea with Bergamot Oil on my hair. I boiled two bags and about a liter of water. I kept the rest in the fridge.
I cowashed with Suave Almond and Shea Condish then I used poured the tea that had been chilling in the fridge for two days on my hair. I let it sit on my hair while I took my shower then I rinsed. I washed about a half hour ago. I air dry so my ends are still pretty wet. I've not had to seal my hair yet. It's really soft.
I think next time, I'll infused it with a parsely/garlic mixture and see what happens. Also the Bergamot makes my hair smell good too.

bimtheduck

I use Traycee's method. I rinse w black tea, let that sit for 20 min, apply my DC then I rinse after I deep condition. For me my hair reacts to the tea kind of like it would a protein.

naturalgyrl5199

Hey ladies....I do the black tea rinse too.
Traycee (http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2010/04/stop-sheddingblack-tea-rinses.html)
Has a great YT video on her blog about BTR...
She recommends (and I attest to) doing a DC over the tea rinse before rinsing it out....My hair can't take it staying in my hair so I have to rinse it out....

Remember, Tea is acidic.....

ETA....I didn't see the above post....I am co-signing on that!

Last edited:

NaturalEnigma

I did a tea rinse, and my hair ended up hard and dry. I said to myself never again. After I rinsed it out, I could hardly comb my hair, it was so rough and tangled. Tea rinsing doesn't work for everyone.

Has anyone done the tea rinse on dry hair? I do Traycee's method as well but sometimes i pour my black tea mix over dry hair, let it sit for about 20 minutes then add my herbal essences hello hydration con and pre-poo for 1 hr+. And on the days i do an ACV final rinse, i usually add rosemary tea to the ACV rinse and my hair comes out great and hardly any need to detangle :)