Teens Laugh As Man Drowns?!?!?

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
I saw the video and I'm completely baffled by those boy's behavior. They couldn't even call the police as they were leaving to say someone had drowned? WTF.

Though I wonder if the drowned man was attempting suicide. Wading into the water in all his clothes after an argument with his girlfriend makes it seem so.

If he was trying to kill himself nobody should go to jail.
To sit back and watch someone die without calling 911 is sick
I wonder if they knew who it was that was dying. That may
have determined if the decided to help or not.

I would be ashamed if it was one of my kids
and at the same time I wouldn't want him
to go to jail.

This is a slippery slope. When are we required to call the police.
When are we required to help.
How could they help besides calling the police if a gator was in the water?

I skimmed the article what was his handicap if he walked into the water?

this is not the drowning video it is the police and family talking about possible charges: failing to report a death

I'm going to no share my thoughts on what the mourning people have been doing in the media, social media or what they been wearing :driver:

Last edited:

awhyley

I still don't understand why attempted murder or manslaughter charges didn't come through for this. They let someone die. Something needed to be on their records for life.

Ivonnovi

According to Wikipedia Florida does have a "Good Samaritan Law/Act" and it includes a "Duty to report". I wonder how the State defines this because it seems to me that these teens both Saw and Recorded someone who's life was in Peril and they completely failed to act.

Regarding the dude's background; IMHO it does not excuse folks from taking action.

Regarding the c-o-n-s-t-a-n-tly stated view on Karma. It's not a $itch. It is what it is, do good-get good; do bad-get bad.... So I pray for the kids involved....

Iwanthealthyhair67

According to Wikipedia Florida does have a "Good Samaritan Law/Act" and it includes a "Duty to report". I wonder how the State defines this because it seems to me that these teens both Saw and Recorded someone who's life was in Peril and they completely failed to act.

Regarding the dude's background; IMHO it does not excuse folks from taking action.

Regarding the c-o-n-s-t-a-n-tly stated view on Karma. It's not a $itch. It is what it is, do good-get good; do bad-get bad.... So I pray for the kids involved....

the article said that FL didn't have a Good Samaritan Act ...

"The teens were identified and questioned by detectives but likely will not face charges because they were not directly involved, nor are there any Good Samaritan laws that would be applicable in the case, police said."

Maybe the law came about after...either way the least they could have done was call 911.

Kanky

IIRC Good Samaritan laws are to protect you from being sued if you harm someone while trying to help them. For example if you pull someone from a burning vehicle but injure their back when you do it, they can’t sue you.

Most states don’t have laws that require you to report a crime or that someone needs help. I don’t think it should be illegal to mind your own business anyway.

Ivonnovi

I remember a while back in Nevada (Las Vegas LV); when an Elementary aged girl had been raped & killed ...in a LV hotel bathroom. His friend knew what was about to go down and left the bathroom; told no one fo the goings on, and IIRC he couldnt' be charged. https://lasvegassun.com/news/1998/sep/17/proposed-good-samaritan-law-stirs-debate-on-enforc/

LV passed a Good Samaritan Law after this, their interpretation pretty much included the "If you see or know something, Say something" mindset.​

IIRC Good Samaritan laws are to protect you from being sued if you harm someone while trying to help them. For example if you pull someone from a burning vehicle but injure their back when you do it, they can’t sue you.

Most states don’t have laws that require you to report a crime or that someone needs help. I don’t think it should be illegal to mind your own business anyway.

awhyley

You guys have me searching statutes online:

Sadly, it appears that this law really is mainly to protect an individual trying to help and not making sure that persons in peril are helped. The duty to report seems more relevant in child abuse cases.

Link: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0768/Sections/0768.13.html

IMO, if someone's in mortal danger, and you walk away, there should be repercussions.

meka72

@awhyley those boys may have had a moral obligation to help that guy but that had no legal obligation to do so. I agree that what they did was horrible and I couldn’t imagine myself not attempting to help someone in need much less sit there and laugh while the person was about to die.

And they couldn’t be charged with murder or manslaughter because they did not intend on killing the guy (murder) or recklessly act in a manner that led to his death.

Theresamonet

This was the police chief’s statement:

“Our effort to use a statute in which medical personnel have a duty to report a death to the medical examiner was an attempt to seek some form of justice in this case, however, it did not apply in this case,” it read in part.

“Recognizing it is not the job of government or police to legislate morality, we as a society must do better in not only showing compassion, but teaching our young people it is always the right thing to help others in need or in distress, even if it is just making a phone call.”