Telaxed & Texturized Ladies what is the difference between the two?

morehairplease

I got a couple of questions for you.

-Next month I am *thinking* about getting a texturizer but saw the word 'telaxed' in someone's post and wanted to know the difference between the two, a texturizer and telaxed?

-Is going from a texturizer/telaxed to a relaxer just a matter of leaving the relaxer on for the recommended amount of time?

-For those that have a texturizer, as your length gets longer the only place that should have the relaxer placed on it is the newgrowth? It should never touch the actually length of the hair?

-Does the same apply for stretching a relaxer for a texturizer?

-With a texturizer do you need to use curl enhancing products?

-With a texturizer if you desire to wear you hair straight for a day or so can you just flat iron it? If you do this, at you next wash will it revert back to it's curly state?

ladies thanks in advance for your help

tishee

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I assume that texturized means relaxed, but still curly and texlaxed means relaxed, but more wavy than curly. But this might just be my assumption.

sweetpuff

I'll try an answer on that one.

texturized: hair treated with curly perm such as Scurl or maybe the jehri curl...
over processed hair look limp.
100% processed hair look curled.

texlaxed (texturized+ relaxer): hair treated to a certain percentage with a relaxer (straight perm, dark'n' lovely and others) so the hair would look more or less straight depending on what one wants.
over processed hair lok limp.
100% processed hair look straight.

Hope this helps.

sareca

Sorry I went on and on only to realize I didn't answer your questions...

-Next month I am *thinking* about getting a texturizer but saw the word 'telaxed' in someone's post and wanted to know the difference between the two, a texturizer and telaxed?

I did answer that one below, it's just degrees.

-Is going from a texturizer/telaxed to a relaxer just a matter of leaving the relaxer on for the recommended amount of time?

Yep. New growth only. You'll have to transistion to fully relaxed hair, although some people do correctives.

-For those that have a texturizer, as your length gets longer the only place that should have the relaxer placed on it is the newgrowth? It should never touch the actually length of the hair?

Exactly. Same rules apply for all relaxers--new growth only.

Stretching is easier. I'm on a 1 year stretch now. I miss my rollersets, but they'll be back. :)

Need? No. But sometimes I use 'em. Like Curly Hair Solutions products are good. Not terribly moisturizing tho.

-With a texturizer if you desire to wear you hair straight for a day or so can you just flat iron it?

I'm not crazy about flat irons. This is the blowdrier on low and bunned for 15-20 minutes to flatten.
This one is pressed...

If you do this, at you next wash will it revert back to it's curly state?

Yep.

------------original post begins------------------------

It's all still relaxed just to different degrees. Mine is probably 40% relaxed (or texturized), just enough to rollerset straight, but allow me to wear my curls whenever I want. Notice I don't have straight ends. They still coil up. I call it texlaxed when it's straight when wet. My hair is NOT.

My new growth looks a lot like the texturized hair. That's about 6 months post but who can tell? I consider that another characteristic of texturized hair. Naturals and relaxed sistas always come up to me asking about my *natural* hair. I'm like 'nawl boo, this came out of a box.' :lachen: People don't mistake texlaxed for natural.

Or

Here's why I texturize....

You'd think all that curl wouldn't straighten out, but all I did this day was wear a bun. The texturized hair is straight (for the most part) the new growth kept its curl. If I rollerset, it ends up like my signature. I really very, very happy with it.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Well, maybe I'm an odd case. My texlax w a relaxer came out the same as texturized. My hair is so resistant to relaxers, it doesn't matter.:lol: Sareca, your hair is gorgeous!:eek: I can't wait til I'm able to make a bun in my hair.:drool: My process time is 6 minutes. I guess that's why my hair stays curly.:grin:

sareca

DDtexlaxd said:
Well, maybe I'm an odd case. My texlax w a relaxer came out the same as texturized. My hair is so resistant to relaxers, it doesn't matter.:lol: Sareca, your hair is gorgeous!:eek: I can't wait til I'm able to make a bun in my hair.:drool: My process time is 6 minutes. I guess that's why my hair stays curly.:grin:

Thanks! :) Mine was a relaxer too. It was Phyto II. I call it texturized based solely on some arbitrary percentage relaxed not on what product you used. I think the outcome and intention determine the difference in terms.

Last edited:

morehairplease

sweetpuff said:
I'll try an answer on that one.

texturized: hair treated with curly perm such as Scurl or maybe the jehri curl...
over processed hair look limp.
100% processed hair look curled.

texlaxed (texturized+ relaxer): hair treated to a certain percentage with a relaxer (straight perm, dark'n' lovely and others) so the hair would look more or less straight depending on what one wants.
over processed hair lok limp.
100% processed hair look straight.

Hope this helps.

oh, ok I got it now.....thanks sweetpuff. :) :)

morehairplease

sareca said:
Sorry I went on and on only to realize I didn't answer your questions...

I did answer that one below, it's just degrees.

Yep. New growth only. You'll have to transistion to fully relaxed hair, although some people do correctives.

Exactly. Same rules apply for all relaxers--new growth only.

Stretching is easier. I'm on a 1 year stretch now. I miss my rollersets, but they'll be back. :)

Need? No. But sometimes I use 'em. Like Curly Hair Solutions products are good. Not terribly moisturizing tho.

-With a texturizer if you desire to wear you hair straight for a day or so can you just flat iron it?

I'm not crazy about flat irons. This is the blowdrier on low and bunned for 15-20 minutes to flatten.
This one is pressed...

If you do this, at you next wash will it revert back to it's curly state?

Yep.

------------original post begins------------------------

It's all still relaxed just to different degrees. Mine is probably 40% relaxed (or texturized), just enough to rollerset straight, but allow me to wear my curls whenever I want. Notice I don't have straight ends. They still coil up. I call it texlaxed when it's straight when wet. My hair is NOT.

My new growth looks a lot like the texturized hair. That's about 6 months post but who can tell? I consider that another characteristic of texturized hair. Naturals and relaxed sistas always come up to me asking about my *natural* hair. I'm like 'nawl boo, this came out of a box.' :lachen: People don't mistake texlaxed for natural.

Or

Here's why I texturize....

You'd think all that curl wouldn't straighten out, but all I did this day was wear a bun. The texturized hair is straight (for the most part) the new growth kept its curl. If I rollerset, it ends up like my signature. I really very, very happy with it.

sareca thanks a million for this!

sareca

currygyal said:
What hair type would you label your hair in these pics?

I'm really, really, bad at typing, but I call it 4a originally and 3ish texturized. Although, lately the roots have been lookin' a little 3ish.

divya

sareca said:
I'm really, really, bad at typing, but I call it 4a originally and 3ish texturized. Although, lately the roots have been lookin' a little 3ish.

Thanks! It's beautiful. It thought it was all natural...

sareca

currygyal said:
Thanks! It's beautiful. It thought it was all natural...

Thanks! :D That's exactly what I think the difference between texturized and texlaxed is... texturized barely takes the curl out. People always ask me about my natural hair. Texlaxed is mostly straight and people know that it's relaxed. :yep:

Sorry tishee I didn't mean to monopolize your thread. :( This is one of those subjects I love talking about, but I'll shut up now.

divya

sareca said:
Thanks! :D That's exactly what I think the difference between texturized and texlaxed is... texturized barely takes the curl out. People always ask me about my natural hair. Texlaxed is mostly straight and people know that it's relaxed. :yep:

Sorry tishee I didn't mean to monopolize your thread. :( This is one of those subjects I love talking about, but I'll shut up now.

You all helped me because i would refer to them as the same. So texturizer put curl in and texlaxed takes curl out? My hair is closer to that naturally, making sure i had my hair type right. My hair is still quite curly texlaxed, but seeing you hair makes me want to go natural. I keep going back and forth...

sareca

currygyal said:
You all helped me because i would refer to them as the same. So texturizer put curl in and texlaxed takes curl out? My hair is closer to that naturally, making sure i had my hair type right. My hair is still quite curly texlaxed, but seeing you hair makes me want to go natural. I keep going back and forth...
It's all still relaxed. Nothing puts curl in. Texturizers leave more curl and texlaxers take more out. In order of curliness I'd say

natural ---------> texturizer --------> texlaxer ----------> bone straight

The bold ones are all relaxers. They can even be the same brand of relaxer. It just depends on how long you leave it or whether or do a lot of smoothing. I lightly smooth the relaxer and leave it about 13 - 18 minutes. That's why my hair has so much curl left.

The whole texturized/texlaxed thing is kind of arbituary. I call texturizers anything that has been processed, but still looks natural. Men's texturizers are a good example. Those are just relaxers too.

Last edited:

divya

sareca said:
It's all still relaxed. Nothing puts curl in. Texturizers leave more curl and texlaxers take more out. In order of curliness I'd say

natural ---------> texturizer --------> texlaxer ----------> bone straight

The bold ones are all relaxers. They can even be the same brand of relaxer. It just depends on how long you leave it or whether or do a lot of smoothing. I lightly smooth the relaxer and leave it about 13 - 18 minutes. That's why my hair has so much curl left.

The whole texturized/texlaxed thing is kind of arbituary. I call texturizers anything that has been processed, but still looks natural. Men's texturizers are a good example. Those are just relaxers too.

LOL. So its all about timing. Hmmmm ok. Then i maybe i have a texturizer because i dont think my application is more than 10 -15 minutes and then i rinse.

sareca

currygyal said:
LOL. So its all about timing. Hmmmm ok. Then i maybe i have a texturizer because i dont think my application is more than 10 -15 minutes and then i rinse.

If there's a lot of curl left I think you DO have a texturizer.

morehairplease

bumping for sacera or anyone that can answer:
how do you transition from texturized to telaxed? Is it like transitioning from relaxed to natural?

thanks ladies

DDTexlaxed

If u want texlaxed, you have to relax all yr hair not just the NG. You have to watch it though if u don't want to relax yr hair strait.;)

Softresses

Hi, I texturize. I only have relaxer in my hair for a total of 5-6 min, total. There are different ways you can approach going straighter (texlax).

If you want you can apply all over to get it straighter, I would not recommend this because of the damage of applying relaxer over relaxer. If you do this you would really want to keep it conditioned and do protein treatments to keep it strong.

The other option is to transition into it by only doing the new growth straighter until you grow it to a length you are happy with.

Softresses

Last edited:

morehairplease

Softresses said:
Hi, I texturize. I only have relaxer in my hair for a total of 5-6 min, total. There are different ways you can approach going straighter (texlax).

If you want you can apply all over to get it straighter, I would not recommend this because of the damage of applying relaxer over relaxer. If you do this you would really want to keep it conditioned and do protein treatments to keep it strong.

The other option is to transition into it by only doing the new growth straighter until you grow it to a length you are happy with.

Softresses

thanks Softesses

DDTexlaxed

Softresses said:

Softresses

Thanks for this post. :D I'm gonna be doing this in 2 weeks.