Texlaxed/Relaxed Ladies: How Do You Airdry?

NappyGoddesse

I did a search on the site for air drying and came up with posts from 2003 and 2002...

...so my question is, how are you relaxed/texlaxed ladies airdrying your hair before flat ironing? My hair is THICK, and I work full time, so rollersetting isn't always the best idea for me unless I want to be up until the wee hours of the morning! I'm just trying to get some ideas for airdrying before flatironing so I'm not serving up my hair with a double dose of heat.

Thanks!

MsLizziA

I hope some natural ladies chime in on this too because i fail so bad when it comes to rollersetting my natural hair

melissa-bee

It about 6 braids. But the inside of the braid takes longer to dry so sometimes i open it for a bit and then rebraid.

yora88

I thoroughly detangle my hair then I a. put a headband on and leave it loose b. put it in a ponytail/bun

complexsimplicity

I would post the link but I'm at work and youtube is blocked. But if you go to youtube.com/hairliciousinc, you'll see Sunshyne's air dry method. That's how I do it except I don't use a brush.

exoticmommie

Depending on how my new growth is doing, I either...

Put on my leave in, detangle and let it air dry with with a scarf on, with the hair hanging in the back.

Or when it gets really poof. I air dry in two pony tails (not tight). With the scarf on.

brucebettye

I sometimes let it air dry loose, in braids, or in a bun. Depends on how I will style my hair. However, I do not use any direct heat.

KinkyGenius

I would post the link but I'm at work and youtube is blocked. But if you go to youtube.com/hairliciousinc, you'll see Sunshyne's air dry method. That's how I do it except I don't use a brush.

I pretty much use the same method. You can "speed up" the airdrying process by using the cool setting of your blowdryer once your hair is about eh 70-80% dry.

lolascurls

I usually detangle in sections after applying my leave-ins and sealing, then I airdry in twists (about 14 of them).
Once almost fully dry, I fingercomb into a bun and go to bed with a satin scarf and bonnet!

NIN4eva

Let me start be saying that I don't have thick hair... but I ponytail rollerset (3-5 pony's) with mesh rollers and I tie down my edges and bangs with a satin scarf to keep them smooth. It takes about 6 hours for my hair to air dry completely. I do not need to flat iron after. I use a tiny bit of setting lotion and smoothing brush to smooth the ponytail creases. I'm not sure how much faster it would be under a dryer.

SmilingElephant

Sometimes in a ponytail...sometimes in two french braids...haven't tried the airdrying-flatironing method tho....im too nervous its gonna FAIL.

I have thiiiick hair.....especially when i airdry.....but i also have problems with matting...even AFTER i detangle!! :perplexed:

yora88

I'm officially loving plaiting my hair. I've been doing this for the past 2 or 3 days and so far so good. I still get to co-wash and my hair still looks good, a win win.

NappyGoddesse

So I tried the method described by Sunshyne on her youtube video (hairliciousinc) and it works pretty well. My hair is really thick, so it would take longer to dry. I actually decided that I wanted to have that curly natural look for church the next morning, so when it was mostly dry, I parted my hair (damp), applied QP Mango Butter to small sections, and rolled them into bantu knots to sleep on. The next morning I have VERY soft, curled, and smell-good hair!