Texlaxers-Do you wear straight styles?

lonei

Hi ladies, to those of you who dont relax bone straight (like 80%):

1. Do you ever wear straight styles?

2. If so how to you acheive it? (products and procedures)

3. Does your hair appear frizzy without direct heat or does a hooded dryer do the job?

4. Is it harder to detangle than bone straight hair?

5. Does it frizz and swell in humid weather/after exercise?

6. How do you normally wear your hair on a daily basis, do you use heat to acheive this style?

Thanks

imani97

Hey Lonei,

I am new to texlaxing, so I can't answer too many of the questions. I actually am intimidated slightly to have to do my hair myself, so I just go to the Dominicans. What I can say is that when they detangle my hair, they do use more force, but my hair is also more resilient and able to take it. As of late, I haven't been exercising other than Pilates because I am afraid that my hair will frizz. I do wear my hair straigt and it is achieved by a roller set. When I do it myself, I blow dry and then flat iron. Too much direct heat for my taste! Once I reach my hair goal, BSL, I hope to be able to do braidouts so that I can do my hair myself. Until then, I'll be wearing my hair straight. I maintain by pincurling at night. HTH. By the way, your hair is gorgeous! I can't wait for my hair to be like yours!

Isis

Great thread Lonei!

No, not yet although I am aware of how I could do it.

I do "straighten" my hair by rollersetting each wash day on large magnetic rollers. But afterwards, I braid it for a braidout so my hair blends in with my new growth and rollersetting ponytail "marks" and because I love the wavy look and texture. I don't have anything to use to straighten my new growth (besides my satin scarf).

3. Does your hair appear frizzy without direct heat or does a hooded dryer do the job?
I don't use direct or indirect heat, just airdrying in a rollerset or using a dryer with a cool setting. My hair does appear frizzy if I don't use magnetic rollers. I'm learning what I can put on my hair after styling to get rid of any frizz.

I've never had bone straight hair (even before LHCF) but my hair is always easy to detangle if I use a good conditioner, stand under the shower while detangling with a wide tooth comb and using a good leave-in.

My hair does frizz and swell in humid weather. :yep: Aveda Anti-Humectant helps (not 100%) combat the humidity. I'm still learning how to perfect my styles in humid weather. Braidouts help me a lot since the reversion isn't that apparent with this style. I keep my hair braided or pinned up usually while exercising.

6. How do you normally wear your hair on a daily basis, do you use heat to acheive this style?
I wear braidouts if I wear my hair out and I switch with braided and side buns, as styles rather than just protection. No heat since July, 2003.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Flat ironing with Silken seal works for me.

My hair seems to work better for me after deep conditioning with my Crema Negra or 10en1.

Wrapping it at night makes it even flatter.

But, my roots never get totally flat, but that's okay.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Yes
Blow dry & Maxiglide. I don't put product on before blowdrying.
I don't use a hood dryer. I use direct heat when trying to make my hair straight.
I don't know....I never had bone straight hair...But my comb glides thru.
Sometimes....but I don't exercise when my hair is straight.
In a bun. No heat is required. Just wash, condition, and bun.
Thanks

Divine Inspiration

I'm new to texlaxing as well, but I'll add my .02...

1. Do you ever wear straight styles?Almost never. I got a texlaxer :)lol: ) on Dec. 7, and I wore my hair straight for about a week, and I've been wearing textured styles since. Prior to that, I wore a textured look for 23 weeks.

2. If so how to you acheive it? (products and procedures) The last time my hair was straight, it was achieved via a Dominican blowout, but I will NEVER have one of those again...so in the future, it would probably be airdrying and flatironing.

3. Does your hair appear frizzy without direct heat or does a hooded dryer do the job? The hood dryer does the job and so does airdrying. For me, avoiding frizz is all about using the right leave-in. I use Giovanni Direct w/ a dollop of aloe vera gel and a pinch of serum to keep the frizz away. Works great. :up:

4. Is it harder to detangle than bone straight hair? Yes. I say yes b/c you have to have more patience with the texlaxed (mine anyway) than you do with bone straight hair. The comb doesn't glide as readily, but with a good detangler and a Jilbere de Paris shower comb and a little mood music, all things are possible. :lol:

5. Does it frizz and swell in humid weather/after exercise? No. My hair stays tied up when I'm exercising so it doesn't get big and unruly. Using the above mentioned products/methods (Question 3), I keep the frizz away in humid weather.

6. How do you normally wear your hair on a daily basis, do you use heat to acheive this style?I normally wear some kind of textured style...a bantu knot, twist, braid-out of some sort. Occasionally, I'll do a roller set, and wear a looser curl, but that's if I'm feeling ambitious. :)

HTH

{DI}

lonei

Puddles said:
Yes
Blow dry & Maxiglide. I don't put product on before blowdrying.
I don't use a hood dryer. I use direct heat when trying to make my hair straight.
I don't know....I never had bone straight hair...But my comb glides thru.
Sometimes....but I don't exercise when my hair is straight.
In a bun. No heat is required. Just wash, condition, and bun.
Thanks

Thanks, what products do you use?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I used to be able to wear my hair curly by spritzing with water. This time a pro made my hair too strait. :mad: It is limp and doesn't hold a curl well. If I ever relax again, I'll be doing my own.:ohwell:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
lonei said:
Thanks, what products do you use?

Shampoo:
Motions Neutralizing Shampoo
Mane 'n Tale

Conditioner:
Mane 'n Tale
Le Kair Cholesterol (mainly for my CW's)

Leave Ins:
Mane 'n Tale Conditioner (after every poo & cw)
Elasta QP recovery oil moisturizer (after every poo & cw)
Grease (when wearing buns)
Vaseline (for my ends when wearing buns)

I don't put the leave ins on my hair if I'm wearing it straight. I may use a little Frizz Ease. I like it to bounce.
:)

lonei

Puddles said:
Shampoo:
Motions Neutralizing Shampoo
Mane 'n Tale

Conditioner:
Mane 'n Tale
Le Kair Cholesterol (mainly for my CW's)

Leave Ins:
Mane 'n Tale Conditioner (after every poo & cw)
Elasta QP recovery oil moisturizer (after every poo & cw)
Grease (when wearing buns)
Vaseline (for my ends when wearing buns)

I don't put the leave ins on my hair if I'm wearing it straight. I may use a little Frizz Ease. I like it to bounce.
:)

ok thanks for your reply

OneInAMillion

I wear straight styles, but via rollersetting. After getting a rollerset, I get the roots blown and leave it curly. Some days rock the curls, some days I let them fall and I wrap my hair.

I have my hair rollerset at a Dominican salon, but I bring my own products. I use Dudley's mild cleansing or CON as a shampoo, and SEDAL Hidraloe for my deep conditioner. For a leave in, either Salerm 21 or SEDAL.

I only use a hooded dryer, which works perfectly. Low heat does the trick.

Yes, but it's all about the right products. I'm about 14 weeks post now and detangling was a breeze when I used SEDAL for the past two weeks.

Yes it does!!!!!!!! Sadly I haven't found the cure for this. In NC, it's humid most of the time and my hair looks a mess. At home in NY, my hair stays straight most of the time. Exercise kills my hair, but I don't have a choice :ohwell:

I wear my hair curly out of the rollerset. I just get the roots blown and go the whole week by doing pincurls. Only use heat 1x a week at the salon. I stay away from flatironing altogether.

HTH

Yes. I wear a straight/semi-straight style for two weeks at a time.

Rollersetting with large magnetic rollers, airdrying or drying under the hooded dryer, depending on time limitations. The same results either way. I use a water-oil mix to set, no setting lotions or foams. NTM serum once rollers are removed.

It is very straight with no direct heat. The style in my avi was achieved with no direct heat. I was about 10 weeks post. For me, the blowdryer helps to elongate the curls, not straighten.

My hair is easy to detangle as long as it is properly moisturized. Never had bone straight hair.

Not really in humid weather. The roots will puff if I've done an extra-long workout, but they can be smoothed with a scarf overnight.

I wear my hair out, finger combing in the morning, no heat ever. I think I've settled on my final regimen. The first week after a rollerset my hair holds up very well, and all I really need to do is take it down and fluff a little. The second week, I braid my hair into about 10 individual plaits at night and in the morning I have a wavy, stretched braidout. I don't think protective styles are as necessary as I thought, as long as I trim regularly and keep my hair moisturized. I haven't seen a single split, and the last trim was 3 months ago. I plan to trim next week, though.

sareca

Yep, I don't wear it down but I straighten it. My hair isn't cut into a style. I'm scared to have anyone on my head w/ scissors. :(

I rollerset at home. I'm going to try your ponytail rollerset today. :grin:

The procedure is:
    1. Wash. With Phytonectar or Porosity Control
    2. Deep condition. With a reconstructor, acidifier, or moisturizer. I rotate conditioners.
    3. Moisturize. With IC Moisturizing Treatment and a cream-based moisturizer. The cream-based moisturizers vary but I'm using Elasta's Recovery Oil Moisturizer right now.
    4. Heat Protectant.
    5. Lotta Body Setting Lotion.
    6. Set the hair under the bonnet dryer (45-1 hour).
    7. Press the new growth.
    8. Bun it.

I only use the hooded dryer and there's no frizz. I rarely use direct heat on anything but the new growth.

Yes, but I think that goes w/ the territory. It's only out of control when I've neglected one of my conditioners.

I salsa dance which means a whole lotta sweat. I can usually ring out my clothes by the end of the night. Gross, I know. My rollerset hair just drops the curl when it's damp; no swelling, no frizz.

I normally when buns. I'm a mission. :) I alternate one week of daily co-washes and buns. The next week I rollersets every three days and wear the straight hair bunned.

Last edited:

Jbirds1

All the time! I'm going to wait until it grows longer before I wear it curly.

Roller set. I wash with Nexxus Therappe and condition with Humectress. I then use either NTM/Salerm as a leave in. (I'm going to try Rusk next). Then I sit under the dryer for 1-1.5 hours.

When I get my hair blow dryed at the salon it comes out really smooth without and frizz. At home I use the hooded dryer because a) as embarassing as it is I don't know how to blow dry my hair nicely and b) its healthier. When I take out the rollers my hairs isnt frizzy but its not completely straight either. Depending on my mood I may go over my hair quickly with a flat iron.

No

Yes a little. It swells more than it frizzes. My hair is not long enough to put into a bun while exercising. I long for that day:lol:

My hair is usually out. Since its short I dont have many other options. I put rollers in my hair at night. I wish I could wrap but I cant wrap my hair to save my life :lachen: .