Texlaxers Support Thread

SilkyandSmooth

Finally checking in. I went from relaxed to natural to texlaxed. I've been texlaxed for over a year now and I am loving it. My touch-ups are normally at 12 weeks. I rarely use heat on my hair. Air-drying is the way to go for me. I wash and deep condition on Sundays. Depending on how my hair feels, I'll CW once or twice during the week. A leave in (Salerm 21, Lacio Lacio or Headress) and coconut oil ALWAYS follow. I then brush my hair into a ponytail and once it dries a little, I'll braid the ponytail. On the non-wash days, I'll spray a mix of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and water on my hair and put it into two braids. That's about it. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

My faves:
ORS No Lye Relaxer-Regular
ORS Replenishing Pak
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
Silicon Mix
Victoria's Secret So Sexy line
Elucence shampoo and conditioner
Salerm 21
Lacio Lacio
Headress
Coconut Oil

KnottyGurl

Welcome! I'm happy you checked-in.:p I noticed that you said you use Salerm 21. I've been to the BSS and the only Salerm product I see is the Salerm Protein Conditioner. I bought it anyway b/c who couldn't use a high quality protein conditioner? Anyway, does it make a difference whether it's Salerm or Salerm 21? Thanks.

Also, I'm definitely keeping my eye on your list. I'm still trying to find the best products for me. BTW, any of you texlaxers use that Soft and Beautiful Extend-A-Perm? I read about it in another thread and thought it was interesting. I think I'm going to buy a couple of packages of it this week. (The PJ in me just won't stop!;))

SilkyandSmooth said:
Finally checking in. I went from relaxed to natural to texlaxed. I've been texlaxed for over a year now and I am loving it. My touch-ups are normally at 12 weeks. I rarely use heat on my hair. Air-drying is the way to go for me. I wash and deep condition on Sundays. Depending on how my hair feels, I'll CW once or twice during the week. A leave in (Salerm 21, Lacio Lacio or Headress) and coconut oil ALWAYS follow. I then brush my hair into a ponytail and once it dries a little, I'll braid the ponytail. On the non-wash days, I'll spray a mix of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and water on my hair and put it into two braids. That's about it. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

My faves:
ORS No Lye Relaxer-Regular
ORS Replenishing Pak
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
Silicon Mix
Victoria's Secret So Sexy line
Elucence shampoo and conditioner
Salerm 21
Lacio Lacio
Headress
Coconut Oil

Last edited:

SilkyandSmooth

GeechyGurl said:
Welcome! I'm happy you checked-in.:p I noticed that you said you use Salerm 21. I've been to the BSS and the only Salerm product I see is the Salerm Protein Conditioner. I bought it anyway b/c who couldn't use a high quality protein conditioner? Anyway, does it make a difference whether it's Salerm or Salerm 21? Thanks.

Also, I'm definitely keeping my eye on your list. I'm still trying to find the best products for me. BTW, any of you texlaxers use that Soft and Beautiful Extend-A-Perm? I read about it in another thread and thought it was interesting. I think I'm going to buy a couple of packages of it this week. (The PJ in me just won't stop!;))

It should say Salerm 21 on the bottle/tube. Salerm products are pretty good so you can't go wrong with the protein conditioner. Salerm also makes a Wheat Germ conditioner that is great but expensive.

KnottyGurl

I came across your post in another thread about how to straighten hair without heat. I can tell you what I learned from this board, although it won't be bone straight.

The only thing that works for me is to rollerset with wide rollers tightly, then blowdry or flat iron. You can probably skip the flat iron/blowdry part, just make sure you roll tightly all the way up to the roots, then when dry, take out rollers and wrap it. This should straighten the hair and give it body. If you do decide to use some heat afterwards, you won't have to use much and only use it on the new growth.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what works for me. HTH:look:

Treasure2k6 said:
I've been texlaxing with ORS No Lye for about 9 months now. I still have some relaxed ends but the majority of my hair 95% is texlaxed. I mix any type of oil that i am trying to get rid of and a moisturizing conditioner into it before i apply it. I section my hair into 4 areas and apply the texlax only to my new growth. I usually wait about 10-13 weeks at a time (tryna go longer) .

After i've rinsed, I shampoo with a neautralizing shampoo about 3 x's then I use OR Replenshing. At times I will deep condition with this. From that point i follow my routine of leave in's. I am strayin away from blow drying and heat but i have found it hard to airdry my texlaxed hair. So, i am looking for info on this as we speak. The versatility of being texlaxed has worked for me. It helped me to regain thickness as well. When i get my hair blown out of flat ironed it looks completely relaxed.(Don't really know my hair type) Any tips ladies??

Last edited:

Treasure2k6

Thank you! I was actually doing just fine with heat, but thought I could do better without it...I had gained the mentally that my hair thrives off heat! I think it is unbeleivable true now! I have gotten breakage from my airdrying attempts....dont think its cut out for me

GeechyGurl said:
I came across your post in another thread about how to straighten hair without heat. I can tell you what I learned from this board, although it won't be bone straight.

The only thing that works for me is to rollerset with wide rollers tightly, then blowdry the flat iron. You can probably skip the flat iron/blowdry part, just make sure you roll tightly all the way up to the roots, then when dry, take out rollers and wrap it. This should straighten the hair and give it body. If you do decide to use some heat afterwards, you won't have to use much and only use it on the new growth.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what works for me. HTH:look:

KnottyGurl

I can't lie, my hair responds better with heat than without. If I don't use it, I don't care what product(s) I put on it, it will dry up and break off.:confused::( I think I'm doing ok just using heat only after I co-wash. Usually, I just attach a pony or something in between washes.:p

Treasure2k6 said:
Thank you! I was actually doing just fine with heat, but thought I could do better without it...I had gained the mentally that my hair thrives off heat! I think it is unbeleivable true now! I have gotten breakage from my airdrying attempts....dont think its cut out for me

KnottyGurl

I wanted to post a tip I received from Firecracker. I saw her fotki (when you get a chance, look her up and check it out) and was like Whoa! She's texlaxed but looks like a full natural with the curls and er-thang.:lol: I hope she'll share some of her secrets with us in the future. Anyway, she left me a tip, and I would like to share it with you.

Firecracker said:
The only thing I recommend is that your hair already have Humectress conditioner as a leave hair dress before throwing the mild relaxer on your ng/hair. I used Motions mild and combed thru with a wide tooth comb. Keep in mind how long it takes for your hair to breakdown when you relax so that you won't over process. My hair is very resilient to relaxer. It takes continuous munipulation to get my hair bone straight which usually takes about 45 minutes to work thru. I hope that tidbit helps. :)

peacensoul

Hey everyone I've been on here for a while but this thread inspired me to actually give in an pay the 5 dollars. I don't even know what kind of hair I have. It really doesnt fit in any of those categories. My hair is really really thick every stylist that I have been to charges me extra and complains about how big my head is. I really want to stretch my perm but my hair is not permitting me to do this change. My last perm was May 10th and trust me my hair looks atrocious. Someone tell me which texturizer to you, because I'm confused all the names of the texturizers you people use sounds like the relaxers I use to use. So please help.

wheezy807

Sorry to intrude ladies (i'm 4a relaxed):blush: but..........do you have to transition to become texlax? If i'm relaxed and would like to become texlaxed, do i have to do a "BC"?

bravenewgirl87

wheezy807 said:
Sorry to intrude ladies (i'm 4a relaxed):blush: but..........do you have to transition to become texlax? If i'm relaxed and would like to become texlaxed, do i have to do a "BC"?

I think you mix oils into your relaxers (which i believe is supposed to make it more moisturizing and less effective) and don't leave it one for longer than a minute... literally.

KnottyGurl

Welcome PeacenSoul! Always to glad to meet sistas diligent about caring for their own hair.;)

Texlaxers are just regular relaxers (ex. Mizani, Organic Root Stimulator, Optimum, etc.) that you apply and rinse out a section at a time. The point is to cut the amount of time you leave the relaxer in. If you normally take about 30 minutes to apply, then try to cut that down to 15-20 minutes. The longer you leave the relaxer in, the straighter it gets.

We "texlax" because we don't want it bone straight. We want the hair to have some body or if you reduce the application time down to 3-7 minutes, retain most of the natural curl that is your new growth, which can allow you to wear a wash and go style. If you prefer to apply all over your head in one sitting, you can add from about 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) or any other type of oil. It will reduce the strength of the relaxer, giving you time to apply all over your head without overprocessing.

I hope I explained it to where you can understand. If not, feel free to continue posting to this thread or PM me anytime. I'll do what I can.:D

peacensoul said:
Hey everyone I've been on here for a while but this thread inspired me to actually give in an pay the 5 dollars. I don't even know what kind of hair I have. It really doesnt fit in any of those categories. My hair is really really thick every stylist that I have been to charges me extra and complains about how big my head is. I really want to stretch my perm but my hair is not permitting me to do this change. My last perm was May 10th and trust me my hair looks atrocious. Someone tell me which texturizer to you, because I'm confused all the names of the texturizers you people use sounds like the relaxers I use to use. So please help.

Last edited:

Softresses

GeechyGurl said:
All these ladies talking about texlax and nobody has anything to say! Well FINALLY! :lachen: J/K

It looks like you ladies like your hair straight but full. I am definitely going to add olive oil and separate the hair into banded sections. Have any of you just loosely relaxed the curl in the past? Maybe tried to go natural at one point? Can you wash and go your relaxed hair now (thinking about the Relax and Go support thread)?

Thanks ladies.:p

My hair is not relaxed straight, it is very deceptive. It will return to curly after a few weeks even if I relax it bone straight, so I don't even try because it just ends up damaged. I learned to texturize by washing the relaxer out right after applying it. It takes about 5-6min.

Henna helps it to lay down better as well, but when I wash it, it returns to curly. Therefore I can do a wash and go. The Beyond the Zone Noodlehead product workes well when I do that to keep my curls fresh looking.

To wear my hair straight I wrap it tight while it is slightly damp. It dries smooth and silky b/c I add a little conditioner to it before wrapping it. I am on a heat strike and have not applied heat to my hair in 6 months. The wrap thing really helps when I wear it straight.

Softresses

ETA: sorry I answered you twice.

Last edited:

Ladykd9

I love this thread. I went from relaxed to natural, then texturized/silkner at curve salon (when it still was called curve salon) and now back to relaxed b/c no one in my area new how to properly apply a texturizer on longer hair. I am now fed up w/salons/stylist and thinking of applying my own relaxer and transitioning to texturized. I have never put a chemical on my hair; always went to a salon. I am thinking of trying out the phyto 1 and wanted to know if I would need to add oil to it or is it mild enough on its own? I have extremely thick, course, dense hair. My scalp is easy to burn and hair is diff to straighten. I think since I put in the time to do what is best for my hair I should be able to pull this off but would like to know if any others have used phyto(I saw one poster in this thread had; but no others)? Any suggestions?

KnottyGurl

If I were you, I would base my scalp and either add a few tablespoons of oil to mild relaxer or about 3 to 6 tablespoons of oil to a super relaxer if the hair is really difficult to relax. Again, if your scalp is really sensitive, I would be generous when basing it.HTH

Ladykd9 said:
I love this thread. I went from relaxed to natural, then texturized/silkner at curve salon (when it still was called curve salon) and now back to relaxed b/c no one in my area new how to properly apply a texturizer on longer hair. I am now fed up w/salons/stylist and thinking of applying my own relaxer and transitioning to texturized. I have never put a chemical on my hair; always went to a salon. I am thinking of trying out the phyto 1 and wanted to know if I would need to add oil to it or is it mild enough on its own? I have extremely thick, course, dense hair. My scalp is easy to burn and hair is diff to straighten. I think since I put in the time to do what is best for my hair I should be able to pull this off but would like to know if any others have used phyto(I saw one poster in this thread had; but no others)? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Soliel185

I've seen on other threads that some texlaxers coat their hair with a protien con and let that dry - then apply relaxer over it. They sayt ath this way you can leave the relaxer on the full amount of time, and the protien keeps it from relaxing the curl out so you have curly, but not underprocessed or dried out hair. I was wondering if you used that method, would you bother adding oil to the relaxer as well? I have very thick coarse hair and I don't want to make the relaxer too weak to work.

KnottyGurl

Bumping for new tips, updates.

I'm still hanging in there at 10 weeks post. The frequent co-washes has kept maintenace simple and easy. Sometimes I dry the hair with a regular handheld blowdryer, but today I found an ionic hand dryer. I'm looking forward to using it! Hair and new growth in still in great shape.

Anything new with you?

*Michelle*

I texlax for 5 mins (from start to finish) I start in the most resistant area and finish at the least resistant. I do my hairline every other time...I add keratin oil to my relaxer.

This is what my wet hair looks like, when finished...

Last edited:

Zawaj

:wave: Hi Ladies! I just texlaxed (virgin 4ab-ish APL-ish hair) tonight with Phyto II. My Mom did it for me. I add a capful of keratin protein to the relaxer and my Mom based my scalp and we went to work. I set the timer to 19 minutes. My hair is really thick so it took a little longer than I really wanted BUT the results were fabulous. My Mom said if I would have wanted straight hair I would have needed 2 boxes of Phyto.

Anywho, my hair is texlaxed to my liking only my bangs and nape got a bit straighter than I would have liked but they are totally different texture than the rest of my hair so I figured that would happen.

Oh before I used the neutralizing shampoo I rinsed 2x with a ACV/H2O mixture and followed the instructions in the box.

I am really excited about the results and now I just need to stock up on some more staples to maintain. I need more Aveda DR Condish and I would like to try the Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade and I think I'll be good to go. I plan to use little to no heat daily and wear prtective styles more often than not.

PinkPeony

GeechyGurl said:
I performed a search and did not find a support thread dedicated to texlaxing. I only found a few threads with great, but little information. I'm currently relaxed but will be stretching and texlaxing in hopes of transitioning. I've underprocessed before, but not on purpose. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right when I do "do it on purpose".

If you already texlax, post some tips, products, pics. Share your method of texlaxing (how many parts/sections, how long you leave the relaxer on, etc.) or best products to use (relaxer, mosturizers, etc.) to help those of us that want to texlax too. Give us something!:lol:

I plan to texlax in about 10 more weeks, so......HELP!

TIA, ladies!:D

Gg
Thanks for compiling all those links Geechygurl:)
I relax with Optimum no lye.
I used to stretch my relaxers between 12-17 weeks but lately I've been relaxing at 10 weeks plus.I will stretch for 12+ weeks again tough.

I mix my relaxer with condi or olive oil,vegetable oil... whatever I got at hand.
I usually mix 1/4 of oil,condi in my relaxer.
I make sure to oil my already processed hair the days before my touch-up and cover it with condi and grease during the touch-up.
I usually need 45 min for my touch-up:look: (I'm slow and got lotsa hair :ohwell: ).
My hair comes out barely relaxed(about 40-60%) with lots of thickness,I got asked a few times now if I even relax my hair:confused:

I recently found out that my hair loves cones and glycerin.
Nexxus Humectress makes my hair baby soft.
Frizz Eaze moisturizing DC treatment is a good runner up.

I usually just co-wash and put Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil on my towel dried hair to seal the moisture in.
I started doing this for the last 2 or three months now and it really turned my hair around.

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

I just love looking at wavy/curly new growth! I think it is the most beautiful hair. Yours is gorgeous! How many inches do you have in the pic? Do you have a pic of it wet or airdried with curls? Just curious. Keep those pics and tips coming!

ella said:
Thanks for compiling all those links Geechygurl:)
I relax with Optimum no lye.
I used to stretch my relaxers between 12-17 weeks but lately I've been relaxing at 10 weeks plus.I will stretch for 12+ weeks again tough.

I mix my relaxer with condi or olive oil,vegetable oil... whatever I got at hand.
I usually mix 1/4 of oil,condi in my relaxer.
I make sure to oil my already processed hair the days before my touch-up and cover it with condi and grease during the touch-up.
I usually need 45 min for my touch-up:look: (I'm slow and got lotsa hair :ohwell: ).
My hair comes out barely relaxed(about 40-60%) with lots of thickness,I got asked a few times now if I even relax my hair:confused:

I recently found out that my hair loves cones and glycerin.
Nexxus Humectress makes my hair baby soft.
Frizz Eaze moisturizing DC treatment is a good runner up.

I usually just co-wash and put Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil on my towel dried hair to seal the moisture in.
I started doing this for the last 2 or three months now and it really turned my hair around.

PinkPeony

GeechyGurl said:
I just love looking at wavy/curly new growth! I think it is the most beautiful hair. Yours is gorgeous! How many inches do you have in the pic? Do you have a pic of it wet or airdried with curls? Just curious. Keep those pics and tips coming!
Which pic?
I'm lost... from my fotki?
I have to see I think I have a few pics of my wet hair... not meant to be shared:look: but I'll post them tomorow:)

Texlaxing has been the single best think I could have done for my hair, followed by getting rid of frequent heat and daily condition washing. I keep a online summary of my hair routine in my journal to help me remember what I am suppose to do. I copied this section of information from it. I hope it helps.

RELAXING:
Currently I use ORS. I like it better than Silk Elements. I learned a new technique from Arcadian. You use duck bill clamps to section the hair. She used 12 clamps I ended up with about 20. I smushed the relaxer into each section of new growth. Next I start smoothing. Toward the end I apply relaxer to the hair line and smooth. The clamps are places at the beginning of the demarcation line so you don’t overlap the relaxer. This technique is quick and super effective.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCHEDULE:
Every 12ish Weeks:
Relaxer
A few days before I use Keraphix protein.
After rinsing out relaxer use a moisturizing conditioner 5-ish minutes.
Rinse out conditioner and then use neutralizer.
After the relaxer do a protein treatment again and porosity control.
1x a Month:
Clarify with Suave
Porosity control

Bi-weekly:
Deep Condition 1/2 hour + with plastic cap. Lekair & NTM Mask.

Daily:
Rinse & Condition wash let sit for 5-10 minutes. Do final rinse with cold water. Squeeze dry on a tower. Apply NTM silk and seal with grease or petroleum jelly then bun or let air dry and french roll.

I have a few pictures in my fotki that shows how to position the clamps if you don't understand the directions.​

KnottyGurl

When I quoted your post, there was a close-up pic of hands separating hair, revealing alot of wavy new growth. I specifically quote people to make sure I'm replying to the right person. After I posted, the pic disappeared. I thought that was weird, but paid it no attention. No big deal.:) You don't have to post the pics. I just thought it would be great if some members could post pics to encourage people new to the texlax game like me.:)

ella said:
Which pic?
I'm lost... from my fotki?
I have to see I think I have a few pics of my wet hair... not meant to be shared:look: but I'll post them tomorow:)

Last edited:

PinkPeony

GeechyGurl said:
When I quoted your post, there was a close-up pic of hands separating hair, revealing alot of wavy new growth. I specifically quote people to make sure I'm replying to the right person. After I posted, the pic disappeared. I thought that was weird, but paid it no attention. No big deal.:) You don't have to post the pics. I just thought it would be great if some members could post pics to encourage people new to the texlax game like me.:)
I thought no one saw it,wow you're fast.Sorry bout that,lol:lol:
I'll post it again then,actually it's a pic of my texturized roots.I have no idea how many inches I got.

That is a pic of my airdried hair... no products

airdried w silicon mix in a bun for the first couple hours,then i took the bun out cuz my hair was still damp and let it dry loose

airdried in a bun after co-wash

jade998

Hi Fellow texlaxers,

I am hoping that you will be able to help me.

Once I have washed my hair, and conditioned it, my hair feels soft however, it dries very crispy. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I decided to write down what I do (I can't even call it a regime, cause I am not consistant) and I if you spot any NO No's Please let me know.

1. Deep conditioning with either Motions silk protein/ ORS replenishing over night
2 Shampoo with CON
3. Rinse and use leave in = 911/ Infusium
4. Moisturizer = ORS Olive Oil lotion

Any help...

I am also looking to use Nexuss... Now this is an expensive range, so any opinions on if this would be a good line to use.

P.S. I know my hair loves Olive Oil/ Honey
And my hair dosen't lay flat...