Texturized ladies--another question

daviine

Were you all completely natural when you decided to texturize your hair?

I'm mostly relaxed but since I was underprocessed at my last touchup, I guess I'm texturized.

But I was wondering if it is even possible to transition from relaxed to texturized/underprocessed. You know how when you need a touchup, hair starts to break at the point between the relaxed hair and the new growth?

Does the same thing happen at the point where the relaxed straight/underprocessed hair meet?

I'm due for my next touchup around 9/6...I'd like to keep this underprocessed look but not sure how to get it done since it was done accidentally the first time and if its safe to do since most of my hair is relaxed and probably even overprocessed.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Karonica

I've had underprocessed hair for over 6 months, and I did notice shedding and still do, although I don't totally equate all of it due to my texture.

To me, underprocessed hair is the same as texturized considering that neither means hair is fully relaxed. I still have the underprocessed hair (perms just do not take for me anymore + regular new growth + permed hair (over 10 inches of that). It is a struggle dealing with multiple textures, but if you have to deal with it long enough, you can become a pro at it.

I am sure that you can still keep the underprocessed hair, but it really does kinda look weird, or at least mine does. It can always look like you "need" a perm (particularly if you have more than 2 inches of the underprocessed hair). My friends are quick to tell me that. Just imagine having straight hair until midway up, and then having wavy or curly hair. That can look a bit strange. But, if you take care of it well enough, you should not lose all your hair.

HTH

garr6982

Hi Daviine!

I was totally natural when I decided to get texturized (sounds like an immunization
). As far as if you can keep the underprocessing thing going...I don't know because will you be able to get it underprocessed to the same degree (i.e. time limit, texture) as the previously underprocessed hair? (Does that make sense?) Otherwise, you will be dealing with three textures.

I'm not saying it can't be done because I know women who have successfully relaxed only one part of their head and left the other natural and it worked
! And the hair is still growing on their head!

I haven't noticed any increased shedding or breaking but then my hair is braided most of the time and I do make sure its kept super moist with my own little essential oil concoction that I spray to keep my hair and braids moist.

DahomeyAhosi

Hi,

I Was completely natural when I texturized and I would assume that there would be breaking where the two textures meet if your relaxer is bone straight but I have no idea. I do know, however, that my old hairdresser would not give me a texturizer when I was relaxed because of breakage fears.

daviine

Dahomey--what kind of texturizer was it that your old hairdresser refused to apply?

By texturized--I mean texturized with a relaxer--not using texturizing products.

DahomeyAhosi

Aha. I wanted a Mizani texturizer. She described the texturizer as a relaxer that was simply washed out before the hair became straight...I'm not exactly sure what it is that differentiates a texturizer from a relaxer.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I was completely natural when I texturized. There's no breaking at the new growth. I can tell the difference between the new growth and the texturized hair by how tight the curls feel.

Crysdon

I started off with 100% virgin hair. I always do a rollerset 5 days before a touch-up so that my newgrowth is visible.

If you want to start a texturizer on relaxed hair, I suggest you gradually cut off the relaxed ends until your entire head is texturized. Also treat the two different textures very gently and moisturize that area often.

daviine

everyone pretty much started natural. This is discouraging.

I don't really think I want to cut my hair. In that case, I may as well go natural, I'm thinking.

Karonica

Daviine, don't be sad, it is very possible to do. Just like people who transition from relaxed to natural without doing a big chop. It's just going to take time and patience, but it can be done.

tippy75

So if I texturize my completely natural hair then decide to not get it touched back up then I shouldn't get breakage?

Karonica

If you don't be extra careful and extra gentle. The thing is with different textures of hair, you may find yourself spending more time with it. What responds to one texture may not respond to another. It really is much easier to have one texture of hair.

adrienne0914

daviine, i think i've always texturized my hair. i don't think it has ever been relaxed bone straight.

have you noticed any breakage where the textured and relaxed hair meet? if not, then it probably won't be a problem. i think you should give it a try regardless of how everyone else started texturizing.

nita4

Daviine, I didn't start off natural and I'm texturized. I've always used a mild relaxer in my hair and it never made my hair real straight so when I made a mistake last year and underprocessed my hair the difference in textures wasn't to drastic. You can transition from straight relaxed to texturized.