Texturized/Relaxed Wash and Goers

pattyr5

Maybe somebody here can help me out....I have been relaxing my hair for years but always loved curls and wanted something with versatility. After reading posts about texlaxing, I gave it a try and wasn't too thrilled with the results. My hair would quickly seem like it reverted and was just a puffy mess. So for my next touch up, I put in a texturizer instead. When my hair is wet, my texturized hair feels like its just relaxed bone straight. My rollersets and straight styles are fine, not too straight and a good amount of body.

However lately I have been experimenting with wash and go's. I got a couple of products that actually curl or wave up my staight ends and don't leave my hair too hard and crunchy. I'm liking the look....but...what's up with my roots?? That texturized hair does not curl up. It is still just puffed out. In fact the hair that was texlaxed spirals and curls better than any of the rest of my hair. So what is the problem here? Are wash and goes (that don't look like HAM) best done on texlaxed hair only??

Who here is texlaxed and can carry a wash and go?? Are there specific things that I need to do to create a nice look him a texturizer??

:perplexed

MAMATO

Do you use a scarf for your roots... My w'n'gos always end up wavy on the front (thanks to the scarf) and curly on the ends. I normally use a curl activator for the ends (Scurl, curl free gold etc) and a bit of Hairveda whipped gelly (and a drop or 2 of castor oil) to smooth down my roots.

You can replace the Hairveda with any thick creamy moisturizer if you want (like the Elasta QP mango butter). But personally I prefer the Hairveda since it doesnt contain protein... HTH :)

Minty

A relaxer only relaxes your natural curl pattern......If you don't have a curl pattern or don't relax long enough to get your hair to the level of wave/curl you desire - it won't happen. It can also depend on the product too.

I'm not on my computer so I can't post examples but because you switched products you got different results.

Ex. When I relaxed with Gentle Treatment, my hair always came out loosely wavy. With it, I could apply a styling cream and it would puff up nicely after it dried.

**But when I switched to Linange Texturizer, I got a big puffy afro. It looked like I hadn't relaxed at all!

**When I went to the stylist for a relaxer, she used Linange no-lye regular and it was bone straight, so I have no ability to do a wash n go, there is no wave.

**Now that I'm back to doing it myself with Syntonics, there is a slight wave left.

I hope this helped.

pattyr5

Do you use a scarf for your roots... My w'n'gos always end up wavy on the front (thanks to the scarf) and curly on the ends. I normally use a curl activator for the ends (Scurl, curl free gold etc) and a bit of Hairveda whipped gelly (and a drop or 2 of castor oil) to smooth down my roots.

You can replace the Hairveda with any thick creamy moisturizer if you want (like the Elasta QP mango butter). But personally I prefer the Hairveda since it doesnt contain protein... HTH :)

No, I don't use a scarf...I literally wash and go :spinning: with my hair still dripping somethimes. That is a good suggestion, I could try it.

I have been using Toussle Me Softly curl defining mousse, IC as my leave in, and Either SCurl or Lustrasilk to soften up if it feels crunchy at all. I'm gonna check out the Hairveda though!

pattyr5

A relaxer only relaxes your natural curl pattern......If you don't have a curl pattern or don't relax long enough to get your hair to the level of wave/curl you desire - it won't happen. It can also depend on the product too.

I'm not on my computer so I can't post examples but because you switched products you got different results.

Ex. When I relaxed with Gentle Treatment, my hair always came out loosely wavy. With it, I could apply a styling cream and it would puff up nicely after it dried.

**But when I switched to Linange Texturizer, I got a big puffy afro. It looked like I hadn't relaxed at all!

**When I went to the stylist for a relaxer, she used Linange no-lye regular and it was bone straight, so I have no ability to do a wash n go, there is no wave.

**Now that I'm back to doing it myself with Syntonics, there is a slight wave left.

I hope this helped.

I'm curious to know how you handled using those different chemicals? I don't like this texturizer, and want to go back to a texlax since that gave me some spiral curls, but I thought I couldn't "mix" the chemicals.

I read somewhere that even though a texturizer is like a mild relaxer it has a different chemical composition, so it was not recommended. But maybe I can use a relaxer on my next touch up and go over/correct the hair that is texturized???

Can I try and no cause breakage or damage??? :burning:

Minty

This is a progression over some years, hair cuts, 1 big chop and 1 mini chop. LOL

When I went to the salon, it was to correct my afro texlax. I used Linange Texturizer and she used Linange No-Lye as a corrective. So I had no problem with this.

A texturizer has a lower percentage of Sodium Hydroxide and more buffers.

Now I have Syntonics and I'm happy with it so it will be my relaxer of choice for now.

I can't answer that question of breakage as I haven't seen your hair, nor do I know what condition it is in. If you already used the previous relaxer and had good results with it, it should be no problem in using it for your retouches; however, be aware that you will have two different textures.

pattyr5

This is a progression over some years, hair cuts, 1 big chop and 1 mini chop. LOL

When I went to the salon, it was to correct my afro texlax. I used Linange Texturizer and she used Linange No-Lye as a corrective. So I had no problem with this.

A texturizer has a lower percentage of Sodium Hydroxide and more buffers.

Now I have Syntonics and I'm happy with it so it will be my relaxer of choice for now.

I can't answer that question of breakage as I haven't seen your hair, nor do I know what condition it is in. If you already used the previous relaxer and had good results with it, it should be no problem in using it for your retouches; however, be aware that you will have two different textures.

Prior to the texturizer, I was using Mizani no lye and going bone straight. Once I decided to texlax at home I used Mizani with Lye. I should've stayed with the texlaxing but I was convinced to use a texturizer to get the curl. Now Im kinda scared to go back to a mild relaxer. I have a lot of thinking to do

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
oh wow: all i know is my texlaxed hair is curlyy alll the timee, the curls are alway uniform. but then again, i always use alot of juice!

eta: but when i dont use alot of juice, its just loosely wavy.

donewit-it

I just relaxed my natural hair a week ago. I used Silk Elements Mild Lye relaxer with olive oil, literally, (Ya know EVOO)
As soon as I applied it, and smoothed it. I rinsed it out!

My now relaxed (texlaxed, Whatever), is so cute. I just rinse and leave some condtioner in it. (Like I did when I was natural) and go about my business.

However, day two is better than day one. On day 1 I look like a wet dog. Day 2 is full of body.

No hairdryers and flatirons for me this summer! (LOL)