Texturized to Relaxed

Porsche19

I've decided to take the plunge into relaxed territory in mid-April. :eek: :D :eek:

I have a few questions.

In April, I'll have approximately 2 inches of new growth and I'll be trying to relax 3-4 inches of texturized hair.

I was going to go about this by first applying the relaxer to the roots, smoothing that for 15 miuntes and in the last 10 miuntes, applying and smoothing the relaxer to the rest of my hair.

Now... I'm kinda scared.

All of the hair in my head was texturized with motions with oil in regular. This is good to texturize my hair, but it definately will not straighten my hair. My defintion of relaxed is just very texturized hair (hair that still has quite a bit of waves, but no where near straight because my hair is super resistant) sp that I can do wet sets and airdry with perfectly straight hair wuth no heat.

I want to use pcj lye. I love that relaxer, the one with the protective stuff in it...

Would it be bad to go over motions hair with pcj?

Isis

Why do you want to relax your hair when you already have a chemical in your hair? Are you saying you cannot get the straight styles by rollersetting and airdrying? You mentioned you want waves and texture in your hair after relaxing, you have that now.

Perhaps someone here has done it before successfully. It just sounds risky to me. Also, I feel maybe a professional can do a touch up and a "correction" for you, especially since you mentioned you were scared.

Last edited:

Porsche19

I want to go over it because I left the motions on for only 13 minutes... my hair is not straightened at all, just softer. It's not soft enough to straighten by airdying. That's the problem. Before it didn't bother me, but now I want to be able to wear my hair straight a good portion of the time with no heat applied.

I think that I'm more scared of a stylist applying a relaxer :lol: When I began to relax/texturize my own hair I would get what I wanted and no burns.

I just don't know how long I should keep the corrective relaxer in... I'll work it out, I have time.

Isis

Porsche19 said:
I want to go over it because I left the motions on for only 13 minutes... my hair is not straightened at all, just softer. It's not soft enough to straighten by airdying. That's the problem. Before it didn't bother me, but now I want to be able to wear my hair straight a good portion of the time with no heat applied.

I think that I'm more scared of a stylist applying a relaxer :lol: When I began to relax/texturize my own hair I would get what I wanted and no burns.

I just don't know how long I should keep the corrective relaxer in... I'll work it out, I have time.

There are threads/posts here on corrective relaxing. I've never done it but it's something you may want to read about thoroughly before doing it yourself.

Amarech

Be afraid....be very afraid. I just did what you are contemplating just over a month ago. If you can, go to a good stylist. Its better that way. When I first went from a texturizer to a relaxer my stylist did it very well and I had no breakage.
Now, I do. Its not too bad, though. Also, stay away from those cheap box perms like PCJ. Its better to stick to what you know. Motions, Affirm, and my personal favorite, Vitale, are serious perms that are not too harsh on the hair (at least Vitale isn't).

gotta go
HOpe it works out!

Porsche19

Is it because they are usually no lye? PCJ has both a no-lye and a lye relaxer kit... and they both come in a box.

In the box of pcj lye, there is the relaxer, neutralizing shampoo, a conditioner for before you use the shampoo and a conditioner for after you've neutralized. Just like what one would do with motions with oil, but it's in a nice little package for you. :)

I use the lye one and I feel that it's a very good relaxer.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair is texturized and I can't get it strait, no matter what I try. :confused: I'm going to relax fully on friday.