Texturizer Kits vs Mild Relaxer

qtgirl

My mom wants me to give her a texturizer. She previously gave herself one with a texturizer kit, I'm not sure which one, but now it seems as if a lot of companies make texturizer kits marketed strictly towards females and it was one of those. Well, she did not get the result that she wanted, so I was thinking about just texturizing her hair with a Mild Relaxer like Motions and maybe adding some conditioner or oil to it to make it even more mild.

So, my questions are:
1) do you think using a mild relaxer will yeild better results than a texturizer kit?
2) what steps would you take while texturizing, i.e. smoothing/not smoothing; combing through with a large tooth comb/fine tooth comb, time left on etc.

Oh, if this helps, my mom is a 4a with soft cottony hair.

Healthb4Length

Those texturizing kits are generally relaxers marketed as something special...well they are not. You can go ahead and use a mild relaxer, but try to stick with lye or no-lye...I'm saying if you used no-lye before then stick with a no-lye relaxer for touch up and same applies for lye. DOn't switch from lye to no-lye or it may cause serious breakage/dryness. If you are going to add extras in the relaxers, then I would suggest a Tbls of conditioner (like cholesterol or something you like that's very moisturizing) and a teaspoon of a good oil like extra virgin olive oil. Good Luck! I would not suggest using a comb fine tooth, large tooth or other just smooth with your hands (gloved of course!). You mentioned your Ma has type 4a cottony hair, I would apply the relaxer on a small section of her hair prior to doing the whole head. Time it, usually for type 4a hair it may take about 7-9 minutes...you have to gauge it and see what works for her, it may be more or less time. HTH!

qtgirl said:
My mom wants me to give her a texturizer. She previously gave herself one with a texturizer kit, I'm not sure which one, but now it seems as if a lot of companies make texturizer kits marketed strictly towards females and it was one of those. Well, she did not get the result that she wanted, so I was thinking about just texturizing her hair with a Mild Relaxer like Motions and maybe adding some conditioner or oil to it to make it even more mild.

So, my questions are:
1) do you think using a mild relaxer will yeild better results than a texturizer kit?
2) what steps would you take while texturizing, i.e. smoothing/not smoothing; combing through with a large tooth comb/fine tooth comb, time left on etc.

Oh, if this helps, my mom is a 4a with soft cottony hair.

IrisDaVirus

When I did my own texturizers I used a regular mild relaxer by Revlon. I always added a little conditioner to it whenever I did my touch ups, which were about every four or five months.

Belle Du Jour

I tried texturizing in the past using:
-no lye box perm
-Elasta mild (lye)
-S-curl box (lye)

In my opinion, the s-curl was the most gentle and I left it on longer because it's made for texturizing. You would have to leave it on for a long time for it tostraighten your hair, so it's kind of fool proof. My hair shed like crazy with the no lye and my hair was really thinned out by the Elasta. The scurl didn't thin my hair out so it didn't do as much in terms of elongation, though it gave me more definition. My hair reverted with all of them. I think it depends on what you're looking for and what your application expertise is.

qtgirl

Thanks y'all.
When she did it before I think she left the front on too long (or maybe her hair is diff. there) because it's almost straight. The back was okay, but she wanted the curl to be a little looser. I will be applying it for her this weekend, when I go and visit. I'll have to ask her what she used before (lye or no-lye).

Classi, did you just apply with gloved hands? My mom said that when she did it herself the first time she used a wide tooth comb because that's what it said on the back.

LovelyZ

I get a texturized effect with a mild relaxer. After I relax, my hair looks really staright, but after I wash the next week I just have a looser curl pattern.

Belle Du Jour

qtgirl said:
Classi, did you just apply with gloved hands? My mom said that when she did it herself the first time she used a wide tooth comb because that's what it said on the back.

I used gloved hands, but I also combed through. HTH.

nekilaki

LovelyZ said:
I get a texturized effect with a mild relaxer. After I relax, my hair looks really staright, but after I wash the next week I just have a looser curl pattern.

Ditto what Lovely Z said. I consider myself texturized with a looser curl pattern. I used Affirm Fiberguard regular though (my hair's somewhat resistant).

qtgirl

Thanks everyone I used the Motions texturizing formula for Fine to Normal hair and everything worked out fine. I used my hands to apply it and then went through it with my wide tooth seamless comb. Then I used the Vitale cond/neutralizer. After that I used the Nioxin conditioner, let that sit for 5 mins. Then I sprayed her hair with Pantene light spray conditioner and added Oyin Styling Serum (which has the consistency of a cream) to her damp hair and let it airdry. She really liked the results. :)