Texturizer? Natural virgin hair -to- Texturizer

Saga

The Generous Queen
Hey ladies,

So I have been debating and debacling what to do with my hair. I have been natural for almost 5 years now and I am officially ready for change

I still want to keep some form of curl. I adore the LOOK of my natural hair. But now that I'm working full-time + going back to school in march I need my hair to be easier to deal with. I hate that it take my hours to do my hair only for the style to last a day.

I'm tired of feeling like wigs and braids are a necessity instead of just a fun alternative. I DO NOT want to love in protective styles, however when I wear my fine, cottony, easily matted strands down I end up suffering from crazy shrinkage, knotted ends, and the heart ache of watching my growth go down the drain as a result of constant manipulation. I want my hair to hang without the crazy reversion, I want my coarse 4b section to look just as nice and detangle just as easily as the 4a section in the back. I don't even care about a looser curl pattern, because I love BIG HAIR and Ik my hair won't be as think after processing it. But I do still want some curl, not pin straight hair.

I have not had any relaxer like chemicals in my hair since 2007. What should I do? Which texturizer should I be? How do I prep my hair for the process? How do I maintain it after? YES I am using the search function for this forum but I need answers that come from a DIYers perspective because I plan to either do this process myself OE have my roommate help me (she is relaxed and does her own at home). Do I have to mix anything into the relaxer to make it less harsh so that it doesn't straighten my hair? Etc

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I am no help because I am one of those ladies that live in protective styles and only wear it out once in a blue moon. I would look at some of the recent texlaxing threads.

CaraWalker

i could have written this thread :sad: i said i never wanted another relaxer again, that i was natural for life. but now that my hair's actually grown out, i feel like i've proven my point and i don't care as much about the philosophical reasons behind the choice. now i just want to enjoy my hair. and having to deal with the shrinkage and constant maintenance and most of all, not knowing what it needs to maintain a good conditioned feel is just a lot of extra work for nothing, almost.

unfortunately, i am still committed to this whole "natural" choice since i do still believe in the principles behind it. simply, my hair is NOT straight, and it is disingenuous of me to present myself with straightened hair. or even, the more palatable loose curl. manipulating it from time to time with heat is all fine, but im still not willing to permanently alter my hair like that again. so i live with the ugly protective styles and struggle to find a solution :sad:

i resist the urge to texlax but i dont blame you for handing it in. it really is a huge commitment.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I suggest texlaxing with a mild relaxer.

You can oil your hair prior to applying the relaxer to protect and slow processing.

DONT leave it in for more than ten minutes

Process your tighter curls first.

You can loosen the curl more in 4 weeks if it doesn't process to your liking the first time around.

I was texlaxed for 4 years. I loved it. My hair was just too thin and fragile to make it work for me as a lasting choice.

I used Design Essentials low lye relaxer. (Available on eBay)

This is a picture of my texlaxed ends about mid way through my transition. I miss the hang time my pony used to have. :)

Good luck!

Attachments

• image-1151970995.jpg
    image-1151970995.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 314

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
ITA with havilland

If you want to minimally process, you would have to use a very mild relaxer and process the head for no more than 10 minutes. Also, when you relax, the trick is to not smooth but just run the relaxer through the hair and then rinse. The more you smooth, the less curl.

You might want to have a protein for mid protein step around just in case some parts get too overprocessed. I recommended my sister do that when she texlaxed.

Last, I really wouldn't recommend using a texture softener because some of them are just no lye relaxers. Lye will ultimately process the hair less.

You can always search for the texlaxer or relaxed hair threads.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

almond eyes

I was natural for a long time and then relaxed mildly and when it still didn't take did another corrective and that is when the problems started.

Anyhow, I am in the process of growing out again but not doing a twa just transitioning the relaxed hair out.

My hair can't do relaxers at all, my hair is too fine and relaxers break it down too much.
You don't know how many times in my life I have been natural for three or more years only to cave into the relaxer and have a major set back or my strands looking like strings. And due to the density of my hair and how much hair I have, I could never get a totally even relaxer process.

I would advise that if you have thick hair and want to texturise then use a mild one and for touch ups just beware of the line of demarcation. If you have fine hair, don't do it that is texturise, texlax, relax stay natural. For me what I plan to do is get my hair professionally blown out every month and then do creative styles with buns and plaits and wear my hair down occasionally. Just be up on my moisture and protein treatments and only use the tension blow out methods for a straight look and for a more voluminous look a light blow dry and stay away from the flat irons and pressing combs.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Have you considered trying a bkt? You get the loosened curl without the permanence of a relaxer

Saga

The Generous Queen
Have you considered trying a bkt? You get the loosened curl without the permanence of a relaxer

I researched those years ago, it's way too much money, and I have heard too many things about the formaldehyde in them causing cancer. A lot of time it seems like girls get a permanent texture change anyway from the constant use of heat.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I researched those years ago, it's way too much money, and I have heard too many things about the formaldehyde in them causing cancer. A lot of time it seems like girls get a permanent texture change anyway from the constant use of heat.
There are newer formaldehyde free formulas as well as bkt alternatives such as the design essentials treatment. Alot has changed in the world of bkt. There are even formulas made to maintain curly hair. As for price you just need to know where to look. They are more expensive than a tub of relaxer but they allow better curl definition and versatility imo. Most people who get it done in a salon have curl loss but when you diy you have much more control. Although it seems like you have already made up your mind on the topic...

kimpaur

I'm up doing research on texturizers right now...I feel you OP. I myself have been natural for around 4 years.

Saga

The Generous Queen
There are newer formaldehyde free formulas as well as bkt alternatives such as the design essentials treatment. Alot has changed in the world of bkt. There are even formulas made to maintain curly hair. As for price you just need to know where to look. They are more expensive than a tub of relaxer but they allow better curl definition and versatility imo. Most people who get it done in a salon have curl loss but when you diy you have much more control. Although it seems like you have already made up your mind on the topic...

Yup, I've heard of those as well. I can't the good bkt's I've seen on this website are between $70-$100.

Honestly even if I accidentally straightened my hair too much I'd be disappointed but I wouldn't be mad. I am no longer attached to natural hair, I'm attached to long and healthy hair. When I straightened my hair a few months ago and felt the weight on the back of my spine as it fell past my shoulders u couldn't tell me nothing. I would heat train but I used heat once a week for half a year and nothing happened, my hair may be fine but its fairly resilient to hear.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I'm up doing research on texturizers right now...I feel you OP. I myself have been natural for around 4 years.

Yup, 4 years is enough time to have tried every single king curly coily creme custard combo out there. I have been bald, had a cesar, had locks, tried henna, spent money on conditioners, bentonite clay, braids, weaves, wigs, twists and girl i am way past being done, I am WELL done with this natural hair and all the single strand nots and matting. Maybe when I become a graphic designer full time and can freelance from home and sit on my butt all day I'll go back to being natural but as for now I don't wanna walk around with APL hair that looks ear length curly in twist outs that make me look 8.

Saga

The Generous Queen
Ok guys, gonna take the chance today. Let's see what happens!! I'll post up before/after pics today. Been researching for 3 days straight

Last edited:

kimpaur

I haven't decided between a texturizer or texlaxing...there really isn't much good info out there. Everyone who I see texlaxing doesn't have much curl pattern left and I primarily want to wear my curls and straighten occasionally . The ladies who I have seen with texturizers don't really look like their hair has changed much. I really just want to loosen my kinks to lessen shrinkage and still have texture.

m_wink

I was just like you! My hair was growing really fast but getting harder to deal with so I got a TEXTURIXER (meant to leave texture in your hair). I got the Just for Me texturizer in the yellow box. I would recommend it to ANYONE, I love my results and get so many compliments. I still have really big curly hair but I can do way more with it now. It took 5min for my grandmother to apply the texturizer (I told her to go as fast as she could) and I let it process for 5 more then rinsed it off.

greenandchic

I'm in a similar boat actually. I've never been relaxed and after 35 years of natural hair, I am sick of the process and the work involved.

BranwenRosewood

I've been thinking about texturizing my hair but I'm trying to wait until I reach SL so I'll have more hang time. In the meantime, I'm going to see if weekly henna for 2-3 months straight will loosen my curl pattern.

kimpaur

There's a lady with nice results who has a blog called texturized curls. She's one of the few I've seen with really great results.

ajargon02

There's a lady with nice results who has a blog called texturized curls. She's one of the few I've seen with really great results.

Also lovelymissyoil was a member here. She texturized w/ her clean product free twists in sections and it looked BEAUTIFUL. If u Google her or look on fotki u should find her

m_wink

m_wink Is it lye or no lye? Also, has it lessened shrinkage significantly for you?

I attached a pic of how my hair looks now. And I believe it is no lye. My hair is kinda complicated though because I didnt texturize the last 1 and a half of my hair so most of my hair is really wavy with curls at the ends. It looks really natural, no one ever thinks I have a texturizer, they always think I am natural. But I think it has a lot to do with my ends. a con to my ends is that they frizz when my hair is straight. So I wouldn't recommend the method I did (It's something I can deal with). YOUR hair (assuming you will follow instructions and do your entire hair lol) will probably just be really wavy when you do the texturizer like the black girl on the box (I don't believe the fair skin girl on the box even has a texturizer to be honest). HTH

OH and there are a few texturized ladies on youtube you can easily find.

Attachments

• meg texturizer2.jpg
    meg texturizer2.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 263

kimpaur

Also lovelymissyoil was a member here. She texturized w/ her clean product free twists in sections and it looked BEAUTIFUL. If u Google her or look on fotki u should find her

Wow, I just googled her and her hair looked awesome! I think when I do a strand test, I may do it this way! Thanks!

Saga

The Generous Queen
Hey guys, here's some updates.

My normal hair before the chemicals fully shrunken

ForumRunner_20131230_231407.jpg

So I am basically relaxed/texlaxed now. Here's what I did:

I bought 2 boxes of the botanicals texturizer for coarse hair with the short hair lady on the box. I cut the texturizer with Aussie 3mm in a color bowl with an applicator brush. I separated my hair into 4 sections and started with the front section. My hair was already had oil from the braid out I did the day before. I waited about 5 minutes then rinsed it out and it looked like this.

ForumRunner_20131230_231327.jpg
When I tell I was praising Jesus when I saw these curls pop, I was like yaaaaaaaas thank u lord!

So I continued the process and realized I could probably get it a bit looser if I left it in longer in the other side. Did that. And I was right, hung so well just below my chin. Unfortunately that meant they weren't even but I figured I could correct it later. Did the last two sections and timed it all to match the second section. I used the ORS creme shampoo to neutralize the chemicals every time I rinsed a section

End result:

ForumRunner_20131230_231941.jpg

ForumRunner_20131230_232004.jpg

So I took this opportunity to use my aphogee 2 min recon and that's when y hair began to...change
I saw it shrink and shrink and shrink. I said nononono!

At the end of it all it went back to normal like nothing ever happened. I did so much to try and prevent over processing that I under-processed my hair!

To be continued.....

LadyPBC

ITA with @havilland

If you want to minimally process, you would have to use a very mild relaxer and process the head for no more than 10 minutes. Also, when you relax, the trick is to not smooth but just run the relaxer through the hair and then rinse. The more you smooth, the less curl.

You might want to have a protein for mid protein step around just in case some parts get too overprocessed. I recommended my sister do that when she texlaxed.

Last, I really wouldn't recommend using a texture softener because some of them are just no lye relaxers. Lye will ultimately process the hair less. You can always search for the texlaxer or relaxed hair threads.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
I'm curious to know what other benefits there are to using lye vs. no lye. I bought the J4Me Texture Softener becuz I thought it would be milder and less harmful.

I was just like you! My hair was growing really fast but getting harder to deal with so I got a TEXTURIXER (meant to leave texture in your hair). I got the Just for Me texturizer in the yellow box. I would recommend it to ANYONE, I love my results and get so many compliments. I still have really big curly hair but I can do way more with it now. It took 5min for my grandmother to apply the texturizer (I told her to go as fast as she could) and I let it process for 5 more then rinsed it off.
I got the texture softener - should I exchange it? Why did you choose the texturizer? I was going for something less harsh.

Hey guys, here's some updates.

My normal hair before the chemicals fully shrunken

So I am basically relaxed/texlaxed now. Here's what I did:

I bought 2 boxes of the botanicals texturizer for coarse hair with the short hair lady on the box. I cut the texturizer with Aussie 3mm in a color bowl with an applicator brush. I separated my hair into 4 sections and started with the front section. My hair was already had oil from the braid out I did the day before. I waited about 5 minutes then rinsed it out and it looked like this.

View attachment 239945
When I tell I was praising Jesus when I saw these curls pop, I was like yaaaaaaaas thank u lord!

So I continued the process and realized I could probably get it a bit looser if I left it in longer in the other side. Did that. And I was right, hung so well just below my chin. Unfortunately that meant they weren't even but I figured I could correct it later. Did the last two sections and timed it all to match the second section. I used the ORS creme shampoo to neutralize the chemicals every time I rinsed a section

End result:

View attachment 239949

View attachment 239951

So I took this opportunity to use my aphogee 2 min recon and that's when y hair began to...change
I saw it shrink and shrink and shrink. I said nononono!

At the end of it all it went back to normal like nothing ever happened. I did so much to try and prevent over processing that I under-processed my hair!

To be continued.....
That is what I'm worried about. Maybe I should just pay to have someone else do it. Don't want to mess things up. I just can't imagine paying $75 or more :nono: for a texturizer. What the heck? :blush: Guess I've been away from the salon for too long!

NGraceO

Five year natural to texlaxer here! Here are a few DO's from my experience.

DO watch "just grow already's" relaxer video of how she does it in sections. That is essential for a virgin relaxer

DO examine I our strands to decide which relaxer strength will be best. I have fine strands so I opted for regular stretch lye ORS

DO add an oil to you relaxer- it slows down the effect of the relaxer which is helpful for texlaxers

DO, DO, DOOOO!!! (I can't stress it enough) STRAND TESTS! Once you relaxed you can't go back. Choose small, easily hidden sections to test the relaxer to find the best processing time for you.

DO stretch/ detangle your hair prior to relax day...possibly even blow it out.

DO enjoy your hair! Hair is hair today you can relax and tomorrow decide to go natural again. So what makes you happy in the moment and don't look back. Luckily, we have plenty of second in the hair realm :)

HTH!!

NGraceO