Texturizers/Texlaxers - THE Secret to Perfect Results Everytime :)

Nonpareil

One product: Luster's S-Curl Texturizer, Large 15 oz. jar regular strength.

Contrary to popular belief, S-Curl is NOT a curl product. It is a mild lye-based creme that loosens and gradually uncoils your natural curl pattern. Results range from spirally coils to nice "S" waves depending on application method and processing time - this means that it will suit both texturizers and texlaxers. Because the cream is rather creamy and easy to work with, you can see how it is processing while it is in your hair. Because it is mild and works slowly, you can complete your whole head without processing in sections. The magic really does not happen until you begin the smoothing phase. And because it is thin, you do not have to worry about the stiffness of the cream pulling your hair straight while smoothing. The jar instructions actually tell you to smooth and comb the creme through until you see "S" shaped waves. I do not comb, only apply and smooth.

I have been through two rounds of texturized hair - so after lots of mishaps, and trial and error, I consider myself one of the experts. This is the one product that has always remained consistent. I am 4a/b (with some 3c coils in nape), and before processing my hair looks like normal, very kinky, hard-to-comb dull hair - all that to say, I do not have what some of you all call "good hair" - so I am not cheating and misleading.

I have had a variety of textures through processing - from the equivalent of a Curve Salon Silkener - tight and coily, to looser coils/waves. I've found a happy medium on the loosely coiled/wavy side of the spectrum. I used to use a mild relaxer mixed with protein conditioner and olive oil. I got tired of mixing, and always getting a different result. Sometimes I had to do correctives due to the mix being too thinned out with conditioner.

Now when I recommend S-Curl, I do not recommend the box kits, because the jars are too small. I buy it in a 15 oz. blue jar, and usually use my choice of neutralizing shampoo (lately Isoplus because it's super-cheap, and has good color-alarm). In the rare instance that I cannot find S-Curl, I use Luster's Designer Touch Texturizing Relaxer (Mild), which is the really the ladies' version of S-Curl.

I touch up every 3 months. I will post pics of my recent touch-up (5 months due to horrible bout with illness-related shedding) shortly.

MonPetite

WOW! Thanks for this!

I'm lovin' the natural thing right now...but if I ever texlax this is definitely going to be worth a try! I've always feared the texlax with a relaxer as it didn't work that well in the past (inconsistent, but bearable with the right products)...now, I have other options if I ever go down that path!

Nonpareil

Here are the results of my recent touch-up after 5 months. I am dealing with a horrible case of PCOS-related hair shedding, and feel that I have lost 30-45% of my hair - luckily it is thick so it's not noticeable to most, and appears to be stabilizing with vitamins and supplementation.

Notice the S-Shaped waves on my hairline... After a final corrective in January, this is the texture that I have settled on. It is really hard to uncoil my ends despite processing. You can see my various phases of texturized hair in my fotki (public.fotki.com/Nonpareil)

pinkchocolatedaisy

Here are the results of my recent touch-up after 5 months. I am dealing with a horrible case of PCOS-related hair shedding, and feel that I have lost 30-45% of my hair - luckily it is thick so it's not noticeable to most, and appears to be stabilizing with vitamins and supplementation.

Notice the S-Shaped waves on my hairline... After a final corrective in January, this is the texture that I have settled on. It is really hard to uncoil my ends despite processing. You can see my various phases of texturized hair in my fotki (public.fotki.com/Nonpareil)

i'M JEALOUS! LOL. YOU HAVE VERY BEAUTIFUL HAIR...........:lick: AND I'M SO SORRY ABOUT THE HEALTH ISSUES AFFECTING YOUR HAIR BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL!

Soliel185

One product: Luster's S-Curl Texturizer, Large 15 oz. jar regular strength.

Contrary to popular belief, S-Curl is NOT a curl product. It is a mild lye-based creme that loosens and gradually uncoils your natural curl pattern. Results range from spirally coils to nice "S" waves depending on application method and processing time - this means that it will suit both texturizers and texlaxers. Because the cream is rather creamy and easy to work with, you can see how it is processing while it is in your hair. Because it is mild and works slowly, you can complete your whole head without processing in sections. The magic really does not happen until you begin the smoothing phase. And because it is thin, you do not have to worry about the stiffness of the cream pulling your hair straight while smoothing. The jar instructions actually tell you to smooth and comb the creme through until you see "S" shaped waves. I do not comb, only apply and smooth.

I have been through two rounds of texturized hair - so after lots of mishaps, and trial and error, I consider myself one of the experts. This is the one product that has always remained consistent. I am 4a/b (with some 3c coils in nape), and before processing my hair looks like normal, very kinky, hard-to-comb dull hair - all that to say, I do not have what some of you all call "good hair" - so I am not cheating and misleading.

I have had a variety of textures through processing - from the equivalent of a Curve Salon Silkener - tight and coily, to looser coils/waves. I've found a happy medium on the loosely coiled/wavy side of the spectrum. I used to use a mild relaxer mixed with protein conditioner and olive oil. I got tired of mixing, and always getting a different result. Sometimes I had to do correctives due to the mix being too thinned out with conditioner.

Now when I recommend S-Curl, I do not recommend the box kits, because the jars are too small. I buy it in a 15 oz. blue jar, and usually use my choice of neutralizing shampoo (lately Isoplus because it's super-cheap, and has good color-alarm). In the rare instance that I cannot find S-Curl, I use Luster's Designer Touch Texturizing Relaxer (Mild), which is the really the ladies' version of S-Curl.

I touch up every 3 months. I will post pics of my recent touch-up (5 months due to horrible bout with illness-related shedding) shortly.

How long did you process your hair? Your end result is gorgeous!

Nonpareil

Thanks everyone! :grin: I just got back from taking my evening round of supplements.

I just noticed my odd little color thing going on - henna/indigo vs. henna, vs. natural color lol

As for my method now, it's touch-ups every 3 months or so. Now that I'm sticking to S-Curl, it may be sooner or later - from now on I'm going on needs. Application time is 18 minutes max - first I apply to roots, and then I smooth until I see waves forming. Sometimes, I process in two sections - depends on how unruly it is at the roots. With lots of new growth, it can make my hair look unprocessed all the way down to the ends! :blush:

After rinsing, I neutralize with a neutralizing shampoo. I used to use a shampoo/vinegar mix to stop the processing, however I no longer find this necessary with S-Curl.

Afterwards, I follow up with a protein conditioner - either the Aphogee 2-Minute or Vitale Foaming Protein - this helps reform the curl pattern. After that, I use a moisturizing conditioner.

I don't do much with my hair - just apply leave-in and a product for curl definition and let it dry. If I wash every four days, my hair will be happy, if not, problems.

Lucky's Mom

Looks Great!

I think I just have to stick to natural... I am terrified of any chems - since I have moved to more organic and kitchen products.....

Thanks for this!

Duchesse

your hair looks amazing! this makes me want to try it on my next texlax round, but i don't want my hair tp fall out. But great advice!

sunshinebeautiful

Your hair is gorgeous!!!!

I love the texture. It makes me wish I had not texlaxed so straight. I may "transition" to kinkier curls with the s-curl. Thanks for sharing.

LaNecia

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm on the verge of texlaxing after having removed ALL of the previously relaxed hair from my head. I have about 2 inches new growth and my texture is strikingly similar to the way you described yours.

I've been putting off the process because of not being sure which creme to use...I may have my answer!

Thanks girlie! :kiss:

Vixx

Ps. Love your hair!

LivingDoll

Hi OP, I have several questions...

Can this safely be done on hair that has been texlaxed with regular relaxer, I mean is the difference really noticeable?

Do you only do the newgrowth or is it safe to apply all over the hair shaft (I couldn't quite tell from your description)...

From your avatar it looks like your hair is straight...can you curl, flat iron your hair with the texturizer?

TIA!

Nonpareil

Thanks again everyone! :yawn:

S-Curl can be applied to hair that has been relaxed or texlaxed with other relaxers, however I only recommend applying to new growth.

I am able to straighten - I do so via a rollerset and flat iron. The avatar pic is an old old old one from my relaxed and weaved up days. LOL

Nonpareil

Also, depending on your hair's natural texture, I think that S-Curl is more capable of giving you nice "S" shaped waves like Sareca's hair. My hair is a myriad of different curl patterns because I was not consistent and kept switching products and techniques. I should have never strayed from my old reliable S-Curl. If you can start from scratch with it, then you'll probably be able to maintain a consistent texture from root to end.

Christa438

lol, Now that I just made up my mind to transition to natural you post your secret. where were you a couple of weeks ago, huh? :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing. Your hair/your curls are beautiful. If i ever decide to cross back over, I'll remember blue S-curl but not the box. got it.
HHG

ebonylocs

How do you manage your hair? Do you wash / rinse frequently? Comb daily or very seldom?

I had a texlax, but was finding the tangles hard to manage, so I went to bone straight (really, she over-processed me, but thankfully, it's not breaking off, the strands just look really stretched out and unhealthy and feel weak).

Now I'm thinking of going back to the textured look, but I need to find a way to keep thick texed hair TANGLE FREE!!

Yes, I have a dream...:rolleyes:

morehairplease

so glad to have found this thread! I have 4b hair and have been playing with the idea of telaxing my natural tresses later on this year. I really want to texturizer my hair now but have been told by several stylists that my hair does not have the desirable texture for a successful application. I must admit that I am too chicken to do it myself.

almond eyes

I agree your hair looks great. But a warning to other women, that if hairstylists tell you that you don't have a desirable hair for texturising, I would listen to them. I have tried it all and always ended up with hair damage and I went to professionals and also did a few texturisers myself. In the beginning it always looked good but with the different textures on my hair, the density and the dryness it would become damaged eventually.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

vkb247

How do you manage your hair? Do you wash / rinse frequently? Comb daily or very seldom?

I had a texlax, but was finding the tangles hard to manage, so I went to bone straight (really, she over-processed me, but thankfully, it's not breaking off, the strands just look really stretched out and unhealthy and feel weak).

Now I'm thinking of going back to the textured look, but I need to find a way to keep thick texed hair TANGLE FREE!!

Yes, I have a dream...:rolleyes:

I have really thick hair too and I have hardly any tangles/issues with detangling. I have to treat my hair like it is natural (lots of misture, detangling when my hair is full of conditioner or under the water from the shower head) I found that when my hair is properly moisturized then tangles are not an issue. I don't know if this will change as my hair gets longer but I credit my texlax and good moisture balance for manageability.

OP: your hair looks beautiful! I always felt like scurl underprocessed my hair (when my I wanted my hair to grow down instead of out) but I never used it when my hair was this long. I have been considering switching to a text instead of a relaxer because I look text'd anyway and then I won't be so paranoid about my hair be to straight. Although I do have a cousin who uses it to make her hair practicallu straight.