Thank You Sistaslick

MonaRae

I want to openly thank Sistaslick for her Most Informative website. :)

Not only does she list her regimen and product used but she also list why.

I am a newbie here and I found all the information very useful but I was just throwing it all together and hoping to get longer hair. :perplexed

Here is an example: I'd moisturize my hair day and night but my end would still end up dry :confused: . Well after ready Sistaslick website I found out why. I was using the right moisturizer but I was not sealing it in :eek: .

“The oils will coat the hair and trap the moisture in- but if you use them without a moisturizer or before one- it will seal the moisture out and lead to dryness.”

That was me all the way. I'd even put oil on first and then a moisturizer. I am still learning and but I think I am well on my way to Waistlenght hair.

Also, I went through my “Hair Stuff” draw (self proclaimed PJ) and got rid of everything that would damage my hair. I had to look at it this way – what’s more important my hair or the money I spent on the products -- MY HAIR. Mind you, Nexxus was among the group containing damaging chemicals! I'm sure you will not all agree but nonetheless I did it.

Here is my new Product listing:

Daily Moisturizer
  • S-Curl
  • (Open to suggestion here)
Sealers
  • WGO (daily)
  • MTG (nightly – and we all know why – pu :eek: )
  • Shea Butter (whenever)
Conditoners
  • Crème of Nature (going to get some this week)
  • Jheri Redding Mega Vitamin
  • NTG Daily Deep Conditioner
  • Miss Key’s Super 10 en 1
Leave In’s
  • Infusion 23
  • Salerm 21
  • NTG Silk Touch
Shampoo’s
  • Crème of Nature (going to get some this week)
  • Suave Humectric (sp.)
Regimen

• Shampoo - weekly with a non-damaging shampoo
  • CW - every other day (doing a deep condition as much as possible)
  • Next apply leave in (1 of the 3 Leave-In’s above)
  • Seal (1 or the 3 Sealer’s above)
  • Braid and let airdry
Protective Style
  • Phony Ponie using Baggie Method
  • Bun

I'm open suggestions as I am still learning.
MonaRae

devin

i feel the same way! she is just a very helpful person and is always there to answer any questions and will answer them very thoroughly. she is a really great help and asset to these boards. i always refer to her album for help. Thanks Sistaslick!:)

Zakina

anky said:
Ahhh, I love simple regimens. Way to go!!! :weird:
SIMPLE?? Oh my! I must be the laziest person on this forum...
I co-wash 3 times a week and put some olive oil on my hair after every wash. And apply MTG also 3 times a week...thats it,thats all I do...Now that's simple! :lol:

morehairplease

devin said:
i feel the same way! she is just a very helpful person and is always there to answer any questions and will answer them very thoroughly. she is a really great help and asset to these boards. i always refer to her album for help. Thanks Sistaslick!:)

co-signing w/everything you said.

SparklingFlame

Can ya'll clear this up fpr me? Use oils like cocoa nut or olive shea..whatever then ....what? What is a sealer? Educate me. It sounds like it should be elementary but I have never heard this before. Clue me in cuz I want losts of moisture too!!! TIA!

MonaRae

Naturallady

A sealer is just that. It puts a barrier between your hair and the air. It lock in the moisturizer allowing it to do the job b/4 evaporating into the air.

Think of a sealer like you would a bouncer! haha! It keep the good in and the bad out.

Hope this help.
MonaRae

Sistaslick

naturallady said:
Can ya'll clear this up fpr me? Use oils like cocoa nut or olive shea..whatever then ....what? What is a sealer? Educate me. It sounds like it should be elementary but I have never heard this before. Clue me in cuz I want losts of moisture too!!! TIA!

Yeah what mona said!:yep:

I like using a waterbased moisturizer first and then sealing it in with a light oil on top. Oil alone will not moisturize the hair within the shaft where it needs it. It will only coat the outside (and give it shine- the illusion of moisture) because the molecules are much to large to penetrate. Water is the best moisturizer so waterbased products are best for really getting the best moisture benefit. Water molecules easily pass through the hair shaft, and pass out just as easily.:lol: A light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one- it can seal the moisture out and lead to dryness. Its all in the order that you apply your products.:yep: You just want to lock in the moisture with your oil. This technique of moisturizing and sealing has really been helpful to me and many ladies have seen success doing it!:) HTH.

morehairplease

Sistaslick said:
Yeah what mona said!:yep:

I like using a waterbased moisturizer first and then sealing it in with a light oil on top. Oil alone will not moisturize the hair within the shaft where it needs it. It will only coat the outside (and give it shine- the illusion of moisture) because the molecules are much to large to penetrate. Water is the best moisturizer so waterbased products are best for really getting the best moisture benefit. Water molecules easily pass through the hair shaft, and pass out just as easily.:lol: A light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one- it can seal the moisture out and lead to dryness. Its all in the order that you apply your products.:yep: You just want to lock in the moisture with your oil. This technique of moisturizing and sealing has really been helpful to me and many ladies have seen success doing it!:) HTH.

Sistaslick thanks SO much for clearing this up for me!

loonatick

so would sealing your hair with an oil after washing work? :look:
Because im still looking for an effective moisturizer and i might as well just use water

SparklingFlame

Thanks for the responce ya'll. Another question: examples of moisterizers and sealers. I know, I know, I am a little slow sometimes....... ;)

Sistaslick

loonatick said:
so would sealing your hair with an oil after washing work? :look:
Because im still looking for an effective moisturizer and i might as well just use water

Do you use a leave in conditioner following your wash? Or are you going from rinsing your conditioner right into an oil? I find that my hair really needs that extra bit of conditioning from a leave in followed by a waterbased moisturizer and then a light oil to seal. If you use a moisturizing leave in like NTM silk touch or Salerm-- you could use that as your waterbased moisturizer and seal that in with an oil. That's fine too! It works better with creamy type leave in conditioners- infusium didn't do so well for me.

Like I said though, most times I just use a waterbased moisturizer product after the leave in anyway. It works the best for me that way, but you can experiment and see what your hair likes.

Sistaslick

naturallady said:
Thanks for the responce ya'll. Another question: examples of moisterizers and sealers. I know, I know, I am a little slow sometimes....... ;)

Waterbased moisturizers are things like: Elasta QP mango butter, S-Curl, Cantu makes some, ORS olive oil, ORS carrot oil, Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme, Profectiv makes some as well... there are plenty out there, its just hard finding ones without mineral oil/petrolatum if you are a stickler for that kind of thing. I am (except for one lil product of mine).:look: :lol: Also NTM silk touch leave in and Salerm work well as waterbased moisturizers.

Sealers: any type of oil...coconut, almond, carrot oil, olive oil, etc.

morehairplease

naturallady said:

naturallady I was just about to ask the same question.;)

Chromia

Sistaslick said:
Waterbased moisturizers are things like: Elasta QP mango butter, S-Curl, Cantu makes some, ORS olive oil, ORS carrot oil, Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme, Profectiv makes some as well... there are plenty out there, its just hard finding ones without mineral oil/petrolatum if you are a stickler for that kind of thing. I am (except for one lil product of mine).:look: :lol: Also NTM silk touch leave in and Salerm work well as waterbased moisturizers.

Sealers: any type of oil...coconut, almond, carrot oil, olive oil, etc.

Thank you for explaining this.

I've been using jojoba oil alone for months, but I recently bought a moisturizer and today I put it on......after the jojoba oil....oops. :ohwell: I'm glad I read this thread. Tomorrow I'll put it on before the oil.:)