Thanks to LHCF, I just had a though about Transitioning back to NATURAL!!!

bludacious

As many of you know, I will be six weeks post relaxer on Saturday. After washing my hair with Sebastians Celloshampoo, a desire to go Natural came over me. Before last night I had the attitude that I CAN'T DO WITHOUT MY PERM!" I have seen a lot of Natural ladies' pictures that were very beautiful.

My hair type is 4b. So, in my natural state, my hair is tightly coiled. Also, water causes a lot of shrinkage. I can recall having hair about an two inches above bra-strap but as soon as water touches, I have a mini mini fro. I am 30 now. I got my first relaxer when I was 21-(Only because it was hard to get someone to press and curl my hair. No one wanted to press and curl my thick mane!)

So, Naturals, if you care to share, what are your secrets? How long did your transition last before you were 100% natural? Did you experience any breakage? How can I deal with shrinkage?

Im not 100% natural yet but I just want to wish you luck and happy transitioning.
So far hat has helped me is lots of moisture, good detangling methods(shampoo in sections), and low maintenance styles.

pookeylou

I had a very successful 8 month transition. I had planned to go a year, but I had enough new growth to do some thangs with so I chopped sooner.

Shea butter and moisturizing shampoos were key to keep the ends from breaking sooner.

Not trying to force the natural roots to be straight like the permed ends was key to it not breaking also.

I found a style that I could do that looked natural, so my permed ends were not stressed.

Water was my friend...in products, in conditioner washes, drinking it.

I read alot of books on natural hair too during my transition. I really became completely engrossed in natural hair. An excellent book: Textured Tresses: The Ultimate Guide to Maintaining and Styling Natural Hair.

I have a "transition" album too. Feel free to check it out.

lsubabiedee

hi!!

okay, i transitioned for 10 months without any problems, but i grew eager to be fully natural, so i did the BC.
The one thing that really helped was to figure out what my hair liked and to let go of everything i had learned about caring for my hair when it was relaxed...
Shrinkage is not a problem for me, I actually really like it, but you can try banding, big twists to stretch out ur hair if you feel the need...

Happy transitioning!!

bludacious

lsubabiedee said:
hi!!

okay, i transitioned for 10 months without any problems, but i grew eager to be fully natural, so i did the BC.
The one thing that really helped was to figure out what my hair liked and to let go of everything i had learned about caring for my hair when it was relaxed...
Shrinkage is not a problem for me, I actually really like it, but you can try banding, big twists to stretch out ur hair if you feel the need...

Happy transitioning!!

Thanks!!!

I am so loving your hair. Beautiful!!!

bludacious

BLESSED1 said:
welcome to the transitioners' club :wave:

Thanks! I had to paint a mental picture of all the hair problems that I am having. I talk to a friend of mine, who is natural. She told me about all the problems that she had when she was relaxed. It almost like she was talking about my hair. After she went natural, in spots where her hair wouldn't grow started to grow.

moda

Coming over to the natural side is a beautiful thing. I am sure everything will be great for you. Good luck :)

How long did your transition last before you were 100% natural? It took me less than 6 months. I had a short hair cut at the time so it did not take long.

Did you experience any breakage? I did not have any breakage until I started to use heat too much.

How can I deal with shrinkage? Love it and deal with it, it is here to stay.

Last edited:

Peachtree

bludacious said:
So, Naturals, if you care to share, what are your secrets? How long did your transition last before you were 100% natural? Did you experience any breakage? How can I deal with shrinkage?

:clap: :clap:

Time: I transitioned for 18 mths... (intended to go 2 yrs, but the urge to cut became TOOOO overwhelming to ignore :D )

Breakage: Yeah, I experienced it, but quickly got it under control. I managed to retain about 80% of my relaxed hair. This was convenient cuz it allowed me to make cutesy buns up til the day I chopped! Keeping my demarcation line moist was the key... Cond rinses, protectives styles, daily water misting followed by applying oils helped a whole lot :D

Shrinkage: I deal with shrinkage by accepting it!!! I'm not a fan of heat styling (right now), so I have no other choice but to accept my shrinkage :bouncy:

bludacious

Peachtree said:
:clap: :clap:

Time: I transitioned for 18 mths... (intended to go 2 yrs, but the urge to cut became TOOOO overwhelming to ignore :D )

Breakage: Yeah, I experienced it, but quickly got it under control. I managed to retain about 80% of my relaxed hair. This was convenient cuz it allowed me to make cutesy buns up til the day I chopped! Keeping my demarcation line moist was the key... Cond rinses, protectives styles, daily water misting followed by applying oils helped a whole lot :D

Shrinkage: I deal with shrinkage by accepting it!!! I'm not a fan of heat styling (right now), so I have no other choice but to accept my shrinkage :bouncy:

Everytime I see your pictures, Peachtree, I say huh, :whip: look at her showing those beautiful twist. I want those twist. Girl, your twist are the bomb. That is my favorite picture. Did you do them yourself?

so1913

I transitioned for about 15 months. I didn't have breakage BUT I do think I caused some heat damage. My advice would be to stay away from constant heat styling.

If you decide to go with it, good luck! We're all here for you.

ThickHair

Good luck. I didn't transition, because I figured it would be more trouble then it was work so I did the big chop. As long as you are healthy your hair will grow back in due time. Keep your head up.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I'm still transitioning and yes, I had a lot of breakage until I figured out what routine worked best for me. At first I was trying to do what other ppl said worked for them and found it didn't work for me. Be open minded and aware of that fact, that way you won't get frustrated trying to force your hair to do something it doesn't like.

And unless you intend to straighten your hair, shrinkage is just a part of natural hair for many of us. I have about 50% (sometimes more depending where it is) shrinkage....just like a slinky...lol.

bludacious

Koffie said:
May I ask what on the LHCF motivated your decision?

Before LHCF, actually my first motivation was a natural friend. She told me about all the problems that she had when she was relaxed. It was like she was talking about all the problems that I am experiencing. So, I thought about it and thought about but never acted on it. I just had no clue what I would do with my natural hair. So now after LHCF, seeing all the lovely naturals and the difference of styles, I am more motivated. Thinking back to my natural state, my hair, texture, was healthier. I had no problem with shedding and breakage. My hair is still thick but as a natural it was thicker.

Koffie

bludacious said:
Before LHCF, actually my first motivation was a natural friend. She told me about all the problems that she had when she was relaxed. It was like she was talking about all the problems that I am experiencing. So, I thought about it and thought about but never acted on it. I just had no clue what I would do with my natural hair. So now after LHCF, seeing all the lovely naturals and the difference of styles, I am more motivated. Thinking back to my natural state, my hair, texture, was healthier. I had no problem with shedding and breakage. My hair is still thick but as a natural it was thicker.

Healthy hair was my motivation when I transitioned too. I'm glad you decided on what was best for YOU and didn't let other peoples perception influence your decision.

I was just inquiring.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW JOURNEY! :kiss:

Divastate

Congrats on your decision!!! I transitioned for 8 months I think- the first 3 or 4 months I didn't know i was transitioning though (was in braids and just didn't get relaxers very often). The key to my transition was lots of moisture and water- I kept my hair in braids or did braidouts. I've never had an issue with shrinkage because I was more happy with my hair being healthy than worrying about any sort of length showing. Now that my hair is getting longer its starting to "hang" more after I pull it into two low ponytails at night.