The 16 Year Old Killer" Cyntoia's Story

Shula

Finally good news for a black woman!!! Yes, I’m claiming her as black because we all know if she was white they would have made her an icon by now for what she went through especially in this #metoo and #timesup era.

I will post article later when I’m not on my phone.

I hope I’m remembering this right. Sex trafficked by a pimp and killed her john right?

ETA: Just realized the op’s posts are actually one super long article. Sorry ladies.

Story:
Haslam Grants Cyntoia Brown Clemency, Will Allow Her Release From Prison
Brown will be released to parole supervision on Aug. 7 after serving 15 years in prison.

Cyntoia Brown will be set free.

Gov. Bill Haslam granted Brown clemency on Monday. The news comes after a remarkable wave of advocacy and activism that led to celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Rihanna sharing her story. The governor, who has just weeks left in office, is commuting Brown's sentence of life imprisonment. She will be released to parole supervision on Aug. 7, 2019, after serving 15 years in prison, according to the announcement from Haslam's office.

“This decision comes after careful consideration of what is a tragic and complex case,” says Haslam. “Cyntoia Brown committed, by her own admission, a horrific crime at the age of 16. Yet, imposing a life sentence on a juvenile that would require her to serve at least 51 years before even being eligible for parole consideration is too harsh, especially in light of the extraordinary steps Ms. Brown has taken to rebuild her life. Transformation should be accompanied by hope. So, I am commuting Ms. Brown’s sentence, subject to certain conditions.”

Brown was the subject of a Scene cover story in 2011. She was 16 years old when she received a life sentence in 2004 for killing a 43-year-old man who'd hired her for sex. At the time, she was living in an extended-stay hotel with a drug dealer known as "Cut-Throat," who she said was forcing her into prostitution for drug money.

From the governor's announcement: "Brown’s parole conditions will require that she not violate any state or federal laws, and she will be subject to a release plan approved by the Tennessee Department of Correction and special supervision conditions, including employment, education, counseling, and community engagement requirements. Parole supervision will continue until August 7, 2029, at which point Brown’s sentence will expire. She will complete re-entry programming prior to her release from custody in August in order to facilitate a successful transition to the community."

In a statement released by her attorneys, Brown thanks the governor for his "act of mercy."

Thank you, Governor Haslam, for your act of mercy in giving me a second chance. I will do everything I can to justify your faith in me.

I want to thank those at the Tennessee Department of Corrections who saw something in me worth salvaging, especially Ms. Connie Seabrooks for allowing me to participate in the Lipscomb LIFE Program. It changed my life. I am also grateful to those at the Tennessee Department of Corrections who will work with me over the next several months to help me in the transition from prison to the free world.

Thank you to Dr. Richard Goode and Dr. Kate Watkins and all of you at Lipscomb University for opening up a whole new world for me. I have one course left to finish my Bachelor’s degree, which I will complete in May 2019.

I am thankful for all the support, prayers, and encouragement I have received. We truly serve a God of second chances and new beginnings. The Lord has held my hand this whole time and I would have never made it without Him. Let today be a testament to His Saving Grace.

Thank you to my family for being a backbone these past 14 years.

I am thankful to my lawyers and their staffs, and all the others who, for the last decade have freely given of their time and expertise to help me get to this day.

I love all of you and will be forever grateful.

With God’s help, I am committed to live the rest of my life helping others, especially young people. My hope is to help other young girls avoid ending up where I have been.

Thank you.

Last edited: