The Anatomy of Hair

PureSilver

http://www.segalshaircare.com/old/about/book/anatomy.html

Hi ladies i've been researching because i am at a cross roads with my hair care. Since being on my natural journey, now 3yrs 3mths and 2wks i am itching to relax again, some of you many realize that from my recent posts. I have posted a link above that i would like to share with everyone. Its quite an interesting read ( a book actually) that is 8 pages short with a Hair Trivia on page 7 and a free Hair Assessment Diagnosis on the final page.

I hope you find it helpful and below are a few important aspects mentioned in the book.
Enjoy!

The Anatomy of Hair

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Hair Root
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Similar to a tree or a plant there is more to a strand of hair than what you can actually see from above the scalp. Found below the skin, the hair root is contained in a tubelike structure called the hair follicle. New cells are created in the hair root. As they enlarge and divide, they are pushed up and out, causing visible hair growth. You may be surprised to know that once your hair is visible, it becomes dead tissue. In this respect, hair is similar to the tips of your fingernails[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
The Hair Shaft
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Each strand of hair has two main components: the hair shaft and the root. The shaft is formed from the old cells that are pushed out as a result of new cell growth in the root.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By understanding the components which make up a strand of hair (and their functions), we can more easily treat and rejuvenate damaged areas. The parts of the hair are divided into three segments which include the cuticle, the cortex and the core[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. 1) The Cuticle: forming the outer layer, the cuticle is made up of hard, transparent cells that overlap each other like the scales of a fish. General hair condition is largely determined by the condition of the cuticle, since it is the layer giving elasticity and resiliency to the hair.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 2) The Cortex: forming the middle layer, the cortex is protected by the cuticle and consists of rope-like protein fibres. If the cuticle is damaged, the cortex becomes exposed, allowing for moisture loss. When this happens the cortex unravels, causing split ends and damaged hair.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 3) The Medulla, or the core, is the supporting structure for a strand of hair. It is interesting to note that the medulla can be absent or interrupted without weakening the hair strand[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contributing Factors Causing Hair Loss[/FONT]
There are a number of contributing factors causing hair loss which, if treated, are reversible:

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Nutritional Imbalance. A vitamin and protein deficient diet provides inadequate nutrients for the scalp, thus affecting hair growth. For example, crash diets often cause excessive hair loss.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stress. Excessive anxiety, a sudden shock or physical stress from surgery or chemotherapy may also cause hair loss. You could include, in this category, a lengthy or severe illness. In the case of a lengthy illness, the general condition of the hair may indicate your overall poor state of health. However, when your health is restored, the hair normally grows back on its own - without any special treatment.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Impaired Scalp Circulation. If the scalp is very tight, blood circulation to the follicles is reduced and the hair “starves.” There are several factors which contribute to making a scalp tight. They include changes in climate, medication, discontinuing birth control pills, and postpartum hormonal imbalances.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Externally Caused Damage. Washing your hair with a shampoo that is too strong can gradually strip it of its natural oils and lead to hair loss. In some cases, hair preparations and shampoos can also cause allergic reactions.
[/FONT]​

I found this part especially helpful because i was at a loss as to how to properly massage my scalp to improve circulation.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How to Do a Proper Scalp Massage
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remember the following: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Do not use your fingernails when massaging. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Do not use a plastic brush. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Do not use the whole hand. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do not randomly move your fingers through your hair. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To begin, imagine yourself kneading a lump of dough. Place all ten fingertips firmly on your head. Arch your hands and make sure the palms aren’t touching the scalp. Remember, only the pads of the fingers should be pressing against the scalp. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stay in this arched position and push the scalp by drawing your fingers together. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds and then spread the fingers apart. Think of this whole exercise in terms of flexing and unflexing the fingers, while the fingertips are in a resting position on the scalp.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Proceed by systematically moving the fingers to different positions on the scalp and repeating this technique. You must work on the whole scalp, always massaging from front to back, then back to front. In other words, start with the forehead and the sides. Next, proceed over the crown until you end up at the base of the neck. This path follows the natural route of the blood flow to the heart. When massaging from back to front, you will help the flow of fresh blood carry nutrients to each hair follicle. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After massaging, your scalp will feel tingly and refreshed. It should feel looser than before. That’s a good sign, since this looser scalp should reduce your chance of hair loss. Massaging should be a relaxing, enjoyable part of your daily routine.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Massaging is especially valuable when your scalp feels tight, or when you find yourself under some stress. Try to include this massaging exercise as a part of your hair washing program as well.

HHG to everyone!
[/FONT]

Last edited:

PureSilver

MileHighDiva i did try the scalp massage technique and i did feel a difference throughout my scalp, my scalp felt less tense and although i did not do it for very long i felt a mild tingle. I will make an effort to do this 2X per day in the mornings and at nights before bed.