The anti butter/oil movement

oneastrocurlie

One of the products that people seem to be using for this method is Uncle Funky's Curl Magic Curl Stimulator. I'm assuming that it's one the "approved" list by Black Girl Curls, however, I also noticed that Jojoba oil is the 4th ingredient, not 6th plus. Is anyone following their program? I'm curious to know if people are using it because they like it or if it's actually on their list.

Also, to anyone who has used this before, what is the consistency? Looking at the ingredients, I'm assuming that it's quite watery or that the oil and water parts would be separated?

View attachment 476233

This might sound gross but it's kinda like slime. Not watery, not very sticky (unless you use too much), not greasy.

GGsKin

One of the products that people seem to be using for this method is Uncle Funky's Curl Magic Curl Stimulator. I'm assuming that it's one the "approved" list by Black Girl Curls, however, I also noticed that Jojoba oil is the 4th ingredient, not 6th plus. Is anyone following their program? I'm curious to know if people are using it because they like it or if it's actually on their list.

Also, to anyone who has used this before, what is the consistency? Looking at the ingredients, I'm assuming that it's quite watery or that the oil and water parts would be separated?

View attachment 476233
Hi @snoop To add to @oneastrocurlie's post, it's slimy/ snotty. It has a similar consistency to the Kinky Curly Custard, if you've ever tried it, but not as sticky.

Edit to correct spelling.

Last edited:

Neomorph

More questions (to the general populace)

1. Is the no oils/butters generally intended for wash n go'ers?

2. If the oils are not sealing in the moisture, then what ingredients are? I'm assuming that they're being replaced by something synthetic/plant derrived/(can't figure out the right term)

3. Are people out here using this method without doing a wash n go?

4. Is the ability to seal found in the gels and mousses?

1. From my understanding it also spreads to twists and braid outs

2. Plant based gels. Plant based gels tend to be humectant so they hold moisture that may be lost naturally which can be then reabsorbed by the hair. But the frequent washing and conditioning also helps to keep a constant flow of moisture

3. I am, I'm mainly in buns, flat twists, flat twist-outs. Very rarely do I do a true wash and go due to my shrinkage making the final product not as flattering to my face.

4. Yeah I'd say so from my experience. I'm not constantly adding product to my hair to maintain moisture levels in between washed. At most I might spray some water on my hair, but that's more so for pliability than my hair being parched.