The Attributes/Names of God

sidney

Ladies,
What can be more important than understanding and exalting the perfections of our great King. Join me in studying the glorious attributes of God. I have been reading a book called the names of God and it has been very enriching.. I will come back later to share some reflections. Lets lift up the King of Kings! The bright and morning star, that we may reflect on his glory.

sidney

QUICK REFERENCE (For names mentioned in thread)

JEHOVAH-RAPHA/HEALER Exodus 15:26
THE GOD OF RECOMPENSE Jeremiah 51:6
THE WORD JOHN 1:1
EL ELYON/MOST HIGH GOD Genesis 14:17-20; Isaiah 14:13-14
JEHOVAH JIREH/PROVIDER Genesis 22:13-14
JEHOVAH NISSI/BANNER Exodus 17:15
JEHOVAH SHALOM/PEACE Judges 6:24
EL ROI/THE GOD WHO SEES Genesis 16:13
EL SHADDAI GOD OF MOUNTAINS/MANY BREASTS Genesis 17:1
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU/RIGHTEOUSNESS
THE NORTH Psalm 75:6-7
GOD OF WAR
THE GOD WHO LIFTS MY HEAD Psalm 3:3
AD-NAI ELOHEINU AD-NAI ESCHAD

Last edited:

SummerSolstice

THE NAMES OF GOD
OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD

I bolded my favies :grin:

ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.

ADONAI......Malachi 1:6
meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.

JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4
a reference to God's divine salvation.

JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13
meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"

JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1
meaning "The Lord my shepherd"

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35
meaning "The Lord who is present"

JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26
meaning "The Lord our healer"

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6
meaning "The Lord our righteousness"

JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14
meaning "The Lord will provide"

JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15
meaning "The Lord our banner"

JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24
meaning "The Lord is peace"

JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3
meaning "The Lord of Hosts"

JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6
meaning "The God of Recompense"

EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14
meaning "The most high God

EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13
meaning "The strong one who sees"

EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"

EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31
meaning "The everlasting God"

SummerSolstice

The God of recompense title is VERY important to me as I have seen him do it for me several times.

Here is the definition of recompense just for further understanding

rec·om·pense/ˈrekəmˌpens/
Verb:
Make amends to (someone) for loss or harm suffered; compensate.
Noun:
Compensation or reward given for loss or harm suffered or effort made: "substantial damages were paid in recompense".

LucieLoo12

JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26
meaning "The Lord our healer"

This is the one that means the most to me because I have known Him to be this to me. I've learned the only one who can heal something is the original creator of it. For He knows the functions and all the variables of me, so He knows what it takes for me to be restored and healed. I have had some issues in my body that needed healing, but I've always have had some issues in my heart. He has healed and is still healing me. I've also learned that my healings comes in the form of my trials and sufferings. We always expect our healing process to feel "good", but some times the healing process can be painful. Like when you have that cut and your pour the rubbing alcohol on it and it burns, but the alcohol is cleaning out the affection. But once the infection is gone, you dont even consider the pain. Thats how my relationship with Christ is sometimes, sometimes I go through pains, discouragements, rejections, but when my healing has come, I dont even consider the pain, because the pain isn't the focus anymore, my delieverance is. So He has been my healer of the body, mind and soul. I know that just because my pain may be unattended at the time, does not mean its not unseen to God.

sidney

SummerSolstice said:
The God of recompense title is VERY important to me as I have seen him do it for me several times.

Here is the definition of recompense just for further understanding

rec·om·pense/ˈrekəmˌpens/
Verb:
Make amends to (someone) for loss or harm suffered; compensate.
Noun:
Compensation or reward given for loss or harm suffered or effort made: "substantial damages were paid in recompense".

Wow, I love this one! Thank you Summer for sharing!

gn1g

Excellent thread.

I use to want that book by John Paul Jackson on the names of God. But when I begin to deep dive into the word of God and really really study it I had a big revelation. GOD IS every word in the Bible. Now it took me a while to grasp that. But there are many scriptures to back that up. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

HE IS ALL. The Great I AM THAT I AM. Hallelujah, thats why whatever and I say WHATEVER we need he is that! Lord I have typed myself happy up in here, y'all don't hear me!

God is infinite

Iwanthealthyhair67

meaning "The most high God

Use in the Bible: In the Old Testament El Elyon occurs 28 times. It occurs 19 times in Psalms. El Elyon is first used in Gen 14:18.

Strong's Reference: 5945

MEANING:

“Most High” or “Exalted One” emphasizing that God is the highest in every realm of life.

El comes from the root word meaning, strength, might and power it's another name that is translated as "God" and can be used in conjunction with other words to designate various aspects of God's character. Elyon literally means "Most High" .... It expresses the extreme sovereignty and majesty of God and His highest preeminence. When the two words are combined — El Elyon — it can be translated as "the most exalted God."(Psa 57:2)

Further references of the name El Elyon in the Old Testament: Gen 14:18; Gen 14:19; Gen 14:20; Gen 14:22; Psa 57:2; Psa 78:35

ME:
There is only one true and living God...
Sometimes when I 'big him up' (praise and worship) I am lost for words, I feel like I've used all the words in my vocabulary up and I feel inadequate cause I have no more words to describe his awesomeness, somehow they all seem insufficiant to give Him adequate praise..I am caught up in the splendor of his majesty..kwim?

I recite the earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof..or in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God the same was in the beginning with God all things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made, NOTHING...who is like unto our God, who am I that He is mindful of me, the great almighthy God who was and is and is to come, who is 'over', 'above' AND 'in front' of everything else...told ya there is NONE like our God ....woe is me!

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14
meaning "The Lord will provide"

JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24
meaning "The Lord is peace"

My FAVS.... I will be back to talk about these and why I like them so much once I come back from church. Gotta go help fold Sundays bulletins....

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Sidney, I have two.. :yep:

meaning "The most high God"

EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"

God is the same, no matter the age. He is the first, He is the last; the Alpha and Omega. He was there before me, He'll be there after me. He is THE MOST HIGH GOD. There is no other god that can stand before Him or can do what He does and that is what keeps me in awe of His Majesty.. in wonder of His Ways, and in Love in His Presence. Those two are my faves, mainly because WHO God IS is more important to me, than what He can do for me.

One of my favorite songs of all time is Amy Grant's El Shaddai, my favorite ring tone.. lol

El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El-Elyon na Adonia,
Age to age You're still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkamka na Adonai,
We will praise and lift You high,
El Shaddai.

DaiseeDay

I get the Praying The Names of God devotional every morning! It seems like a great book.

My favorite name for God is El Shaddai - The All Sufficient (and nourishing) God

While most English translations render it "God Almighty" probably because the translators of the Septuagint (i.e., the Greek translation of the Old Testament) thought Shaddai came from a root verb (shadad) that means "to overpower" or "to destroy.". It also translates to all nourishing God. The words used here in the Hebrew create the imagery of an infant nursing. God is all I need. He's all powerful, just like an infant gets everything it needs from its mom and her super milk, I get everything I need from God.

Shad means "breast" in Hebrew and Jacob's blessing given in Genesis 49:25, indicates that Shaddai might be related to the word for breasts (shadaim), indicating sufficiency and nourishment (i.e., "blessings of the breasts and of the womb"). In this case, the Name might derive from the contraction of sha ("who") and dai ("enough") to indicate God's complete sufficiency to nurture the fledgling nation into fruitfulness. Indeed, God first uses this Name when He refers to multiplying Abraham's offspring (Gen. 17:2).

El-Shaddai means God Almighty. El points to the power of God Himself. Shaddai seems to be derived from another word meaning breast, which implies that Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies. It is God as El who helps, but it is God as Shaddai who abundantly blesses with all manner of blessings.God desires to bless man and provide in abundance all of mans needs. This name is indicative of a God who is powerful enough to do just that. Only an all powerful God can bless all mankind with all manner of blessings.

El Shaddai is used almost exclusively in reference to the three great patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and (according to Exodus 6:2-3) was the primary name by which God was known to the founders of Israel (the Name YHVH given to Moses suggests God's absolute self-sufficiency). The word "Shaddai" (by itself) was used later by the prophets (e.g., Num. 24:4; Isa. 13:6, Ezek. 1:24) as well as in the books of Job, Ruth, and in the Psalms.

This is how I know God personally as my all and all and everything I need. When I use this name I instantly feel closer to God and in worship.

Laela I love that song too!

Last edited:

gn1g

Ps 75:6-7 I am the NORTH, your promoter he puts down one and exalts another.

Also "I AM THE GOD OF WAR." We serve a mighty God. Mighty - war like. He is not always in a peace making state.

He is a God that laughs. He is not always so serious.

Oh How I LOVE Him! and yes HE is LOVE.

gn1g

This right here is off the chain. When I studied this out, it took my breath away. Sometimes the revelations we get will literally take your breath away.

This banner is a standard. so When the Enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of God will raise a standard against him!" (Isaiah 59:19)

You see the praise dancers with their banners/standards/flags at church, it is more to that than meets the eye. Those banners are very powerful and help to set the atmosphere and to usher in the spiritS of God. The colors have special meaning, the way they are cut an even the fabric. I own a few and wave them about my house every so often. a wave offering.

THE FIRE OF GOD

Off topic but this might help someone:
something else that blew my mind in my studies. And there is a term for this however it escapes me now. The bible is made of threads, everytime you see a particular word it is related in some sort of way to that word in every passage! So if you see the word cup in Gensis it is related to every cup in the bible, now it is the Glory of man to search out a thing. It is exhilariting when you figure out or the Holy spirits tells you how the words are related. I would love to talk to a literture teacher about her thoughts on how the bible is written. There is a particular way in which to read proverbs, otherwise it does not make much sense.

I love the word of God.

Last edited:

Sashaa08

Thank you for the tag! I am away from my home computer but there is a website that somebody shared where it has a list of God's names and the accompanying scripture. If somebody else hasn't posted it by Monday, I will do so.

I am typing this quickly so I can't find the scripture (pretty sure it is in Psalms) but one of my favorites is that God is the lifter of my head. Just something about it just resonates with me-that He thinks enough about little old me and all the foolishness I have done and the many times I have missed the mark and still lifts my head up, dusts me off, and keeps me moving forward.

sidney

Gn1g, Praise God!!! I was just about to come up in here waving that Jehovah Nissi BANNER! As you stated it’s like a flag—or a standard that represents our great God! I love this name of God! When I see this name, and Elohim—“Strong one", "Powerful One" I think of God I make a connection to sports. I happen to love football but I won’t make anyone feel bad by announcing who America’s greatest team is lol:lol:…but when we are on the team with God, it’s like he is the Michael Jordan of the 90s…and the Banner is the Chicago Bulls! The opposing team already knows what’s about to go down, because He is the strong one! The mighty one! And no matter how bad your skills are, no matter what challenges you face, ladies...you have Jordan on your team!! You will win! When you hold up this banner, people know that you are an overcomer! You've got the victory! You are on team Jesus! The context of this scripture deals with the Amalekites, who were the absolute worst, because they never fought fair. And they were mighty warriors. Sound familiar? Are you facing a mighty warrior or a challenging situation?? This attack in Exodus 17 on the children of Israel came out of nowhere! But, God promises to blot this challenge out! Moses lifted his hands up to pray, and Aaron and Hur helped him keep his hands raised when his arms got tired! As long as those hands were raised, they were winning! That’s why we have to constantly intercede for others, when we pray we ALL have the victory! Keep those hands lifting up that Banner! God is our flag, our banner; he is the one responsible for ALL of our victories! I remember learning that in the civil war the winning team held up a blood stained banner! Well, he is our blood-stained banner! As Yolanda Adams, says, we've got the Victory! YEEEAHHHH!! For us he died but he rose of the 3rd day, that's why we have true victory everyday!

He's the only banner! The mighty banner! The strong one! The ONLY one! So glad to be on Team Jesus!!!!! Because we have the victory!!!

Last edited:

sidney

I get the Praying The Names of God devotional every morning! It seems like a great book.

My favorite name for God is El Shaddai - The All Sufficient (and nourishing) God

While most English translations render it "God Almighty" probably because the translators of the Septuagint (i.e., the Greek translation of the Old Testament) thought Shaddai came from a root verb (shadad) that means "to overpower" or "to destroy.". It also translates to all nourishing God. The words used here in the Hebrew create the imagery of an infant nursing. God is all I need. He's all powerful, just like an infant gets everything it needs from its mom and her super milk, I get everything I need from God.

Shad means "breast" in Hebrew and Jacob's blessing given in Genesis 49:25, indicates that Shaddai might be related to the word for breasts (shadaim), indicating sufficiency and nourishment (i.e., "blessings of the breasts and of the womb"). In this case, the Name might derive from the contraction of sha ("who") and dai ("enough") to indicate God's complete sufficiency to nurture the fledgling nation into fruitfulness. Indeed, God first uses this Name when He refers to multiplying Abraham's offspring (Gen. 17:2).

El-Shaddai means God Almighty. El points to the power of God Himself. Shaddai seems to be derived from another word meaning breast, which implies that Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies. It is God as El who helps, but it is God as Shaddai who abundantly blesses with all manner of blessings.God desires to bless man and provide in abundance all of mans needs. This name is indicative of a God who is powerful enough to do just that. Only an all powerful God can bless all mankind with all manner of blessings.

El Shaddai is used almost exclusively in reference to the three great patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and (according to Exodus 6:2-3) was the primary name by which God was known to the founders of Israel (the Name YHVH given to Moses suggests God's absolute self-sufficiency). The word "Shaddai" (by itself) was used later by the prophets (e.g., Num. 24:4; Isa. 13:6, Ezek. 1:24) as well as in the books of Job, Ruth, and in the Psalms.

This is how I know God personally as my all and all and everything I need. When I use this name I instantly feel closer to God and in worship.

@Laela I love that song too!

El Shaddai, "the many breasted one"--it's the only name that gives God the female, nurturing characteristic! Yes, he provides for us when we cry out to him, Amen!

sidney

Thank you for the tag! I am away from my home computer but there is a website that somebody shared where it has a list of God's names and the accompanying scripture. If somebody else hasn't posted it by Monday, I will do so.

I am typing this quickly so I can't find the scripture (pretty sure it is in Psalms) but one of my favorites is that God is the lifter of my head. Just something about it just resonates with me-that He thinks enough about little old me and all the foolishness I have done and the many times I have missed the mark and still lifts my head up, dusts me off, and keeps me moving forward.

I think I found it,
Psalm 3:3
But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the
One who lifts my head high.

Love this! Thanks!

Rainbow Dash

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU meaning "The Lord our righteousness"

Jehovah, the Existing One, the One True God.

Righteousness: righteous, straigtht, holy, blameless, guiltless, innocent.

The days are coming," declares the Lord, "when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The Lord Our Righteousness. Jeremiah 23:5-6

2 Corinthians 5:21 says, "For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."

Jesus Christ is our righteousness. Sin and the fall caused man to lose his righteousness. It is not our righteousness, but God's very own righteousness. His righteousness is found in the new man, which is created after God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:24). We are made His righteousness through Jesus Christ the Righteous One. "Let us live in constant dependence upon the righteousness of our Savior for our acceptance with God and for our confidence and assurance found only in Him." (DF)

Rejoice!!! You have been called and made the Righteousness of God!!

sidney

Ladies, here is one from the book. Love this!
Owner of the cattle on a thousand hills

Psalm 50:7-12
"I am God, your God...
for every animal of the forest is mine,
and the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know every bird in the mountains,
and the creatures of the field are mine...
for the world is mine, and all that's in it."

And my God will meet all my needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus(Phil 4:19)

So do not worry, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? For the pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Fathers knows that you need them. But seek ye first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matt. 6:31-33)

The devotion describes a 4 year old who gets a check for two hundred dollars from his grandparents for his birthday. Of course, he is puzzled and unthrilled,lol. The devotion says, how many of us are like Justin? We fail to appreciate and appropriate all that God has put at out disposal. All the power of heaven and earth, peace that defies human understanding, the wherewithal to meet our needs--these are in the bank for us, and we have a blank check to draw on this account. Like Justin, we don't always see something tangible in front of us, so we underestimate what we have been given.

It ends with another story, a retired gentleman goes on a cruise ship bound for Hawaii. Each day of the seven day cruise he spends in his small cabin, lying on his bunk. He ate nothing but crackers, peanut butter, and the dried prunes he brought with him. He failed to understand that the sumptuous meals, snacks, lectures and other entertainment, swimming pool, gameroom, exercise room, library and deck room are available to him--included in the fare that had already been paid. Our fair has already been paid. All the Lord's considerable resourses are available for the asking.

The prayer is: God, our provider, you dress the field lilies gloriously! You know the number of hairs on our heads. You know what we need. Wiith gratitude we draw on your provisions today.

SweetSimplicity

The Lord is my Shepherd (Psalm 23) NKJV

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

I love the image of God as my Shepherd. As one of his sheep I can trust that God loves me and cares for me. I can trust that he will provide all that I need. I can trust that he will guide me towards the right path. I don't need to fear anything because God is with me. If I should get "lost" I believe that he would do everything to "find" me and bring me back to where I am supposed to be.