The beginning of my hair journey....

Should I wash this week?

• Yes, wash your hair at least once a week.

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • No, every two weeks is just fine.

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TBird

Ladies, friends, sisters...lol I need you all. I am wanting to begin my path to healthy...hopefully long hair. I will post pics hopefully before week's end to give you all some visual idea of what I'm working with. I want to start my journey now as I need advice. I'm extremely impatient and really have no idea what is best for my hair. So here are some stats. I am not currently taking any supplements regularly, I'm 1 week post relaxer (Dr. Miracles Relaxer Super) and I'm using some type of oil to moisturize (get the name later..sorry). The shampoo and conditioner that I have currently at home are Garnier Fructis Length and Strength. I've only used one based on reviews here and I'm not at all crazy about it, but I refuse to waste money. So ladies, should I was my hair this week or is every 2 enough. My hair is extremely dry, coarse 4b hair. What are your thoughts on using the Fructis products?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
From one semi-newbie to another you might get some standard responses based on your thread such as -- what works for one doesn't work for another, post pics of your hair, post your reggie etc.

When I first joined, hearing what works for one might not work for another was hard comments to accept, especially when I was requesting help, but it's true. If you post pics and list your regi, our seasoned hair sisters can help you better.

I wash my hair at least once a week, and co-wash if it requires a 2nd wash. When I first joined, I baggied for added moisture. I tried whole head and ends only. I like baggy'n the ends better for a routine method but whole head the night before I wash.

I have no input on the fructis prods but hope this info helps some.

Akemi

Since you say that your hair is extremely dry, maybe you should add a deep conditioner into your regimen. You should do it each week.

You should also perhaps add a moisturizer. You can use it before the oil. The oil will seal it in.

I really can't say whether you should wash your hair every week or not. Some people wash every week, and some wait longer depending on what works for them. If you find shampoo to be harsh on your hair, maybe you should wash less often. But if you want to wash each week, just make sure your shampoo is gentle and moisturizing/ doesn't strip your hair.

About the Fructis products, I don't know. I've never really used them.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

TBird

Thanks ladies for your response. I'm not into the whole baggying method unfortunately, I've tried it and wasnt really feeling it. For those that have had success in healing their hair, please know that as bad as it may seem I just can't do a whole lot of 'stuff'...i.e mixing my own oils, baggying..etc. I wrap at night and really want to establish and an easy but productive routine.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Firstly, welcome to the hair board! Secondly, I suggest washing your hair with shampoo at least once a week. A clean scalp is a happy and healthy scalp :yep: as for other advice I would really need to more about your hair ( density, fine, medium or thick, porosity, styling methods etc.) before I can recommend products for moisturizing and healthy hair practices. Oil is primarily used for sealing in the moisture after moisturizing so my best guess is that your hair is dry because you aren't getting enough moisture to your strands.

ellehair

Welcome to the boards!! I wash my hair at least 2 times a week, mostly co wash only poo as needed.. I have extremly dry 4b hair as well. Also u may want to change from the SUPER relaxer, because its really not needed. The regular will do the job just as well. For me it did anyway.. a moisture based DC will work wonders.. i just tried motions moisture plus and i loved the way my hair felt after.

TBird

Can I get any other reviews for Motions Moisture Plus? Lovenharmony I have extremely thick hair, I try to only use heat when I'm blowdrying and flatironing after a wash after that I wrap every night and I may pincurl if I want to sport a different style. I also use Elasta QP Mango Butter usually every other day.

LushLox

The only oil that can moisturise your hair is coconut oil. It is better to get a proper moisturiser and use the oils that you have to seal. It needn't be expensive either, ORS do a decent Olive Oil moisturiser; it's quite rich so it should complement your thick hair.

I'm not sure about the Fructis range, but it's a good idea to use a proper moisture rich conditioner. Silk Element Moisturising treatment is cheap but effective imo.

You don't need to do anything that is long winded and time consuming. A nice simple regi would be

Poo (or co wash) once a week
Follow up with DC
Moisturise and seal regularly

Once you get in the swing of it it'll become second nature. It's a good idea for relaxed heads to use protein. Most ladies like Aphogee 2 Minute reconstructor, or ORS Replenishing Pak, both are excellent imo.

If you heat style regularly it is important to DC your hair first. I tend to DC with protein then moisture beforehand so the hair is appropriately prepped.

Hope everything works out - please report back!

lilsparkle825

What it sounds like you want is a routine that is as simple yet effective as possible. I know all the info here can be overwhelming, and sometimes we just need someone who has been here a while to break it down. You've gotten excellent advice so far, and most of it boils down to making sure you infuse as many moisture-laden products as possible into your regimen, and use a protein or ceramide to ensure that the weakened chemical bonds in your hair from the relaxer stay as strong as possible.

***As the Elasta QP mango butter is a moisturizer (NOTE: I have never used this particular product), try using it everyday and following up with the oil to seal in the moisture. Since you noted that your hair is extremely dry, you may want to M&S twice a day (once in the morning and once before bed) until you notice an improvement in your hair's moisture levels.
***Also, add in a weekly moisturizing deep conditioning treatment after using the Garnier Fructis shampoo to restore the moisture the shampoo may zap from your strands. I believe Garnier makes a mask, but by no means do you have to stick with one line. You can try Silk Elements, which has been mentioned upthread, or you can try something like Lustrasilk Cholesterol (the shea butter kind). There are threads and threads on great DCs, you just have to look for them.
***If in a month's time you have still noticed little improvement in the moisture levels of your hair, you may want to try using the Fructis conditioner as a cowash conditioner midweek. I personally love cowashing, something I discovered when I joined LHCF as a transitioner back in 2008. It took my hair to a whole new level of healthy!
***As far as protein goes, try a leave-in that contains protein, such as Aphogee Green Tea + Keratin spray, or add in a protein DC, like Aphogee 2 Minute or ORS Replenishing Pak, when you notice your hair feeling mushy or an increase in breakage. If you go the DC route, once every other week should be fine, and make sure to still use that moisturizing DC afterwards!

Your regimen seems as if it has a solid base....you just need to fill in a few gaps. HHG!

Reecie

Hey OP.

I know you want to have a very simple regimen, but unfortunately you are going to have to put in the effort in the beginning to get the end results that you are looking for (i.e a quick and fast regimen/routine).

How often should you wash? I recommend washing (either a non sulfate shampoo and/or conditioner wash) the hair when your hair starts to feel dry.. the amount of times per week/month is different for everyone. Some women wash every 2 weeks and others every 2 or 3 days. If your hair is more on the dry side, I'm going to assume that you will need to wash/conditioner wash more often.

Once you establish how often you will be washing, make sure you deep condition EVERY time.. no exceptions.

Also, if you really are impatient, want long hair immediately, and want a no hassle type hairstyle... why don't you do the crown and glory method and get a full sew in weave? :yep: It would meet all of your requirements as long as you take care of the hair underneath.

Those are my suggestions based on your concerns. I hope it works out for you. Good luck! :grin::grin:

caribeandiva

Human being
Wash at least once a week with a MOISTURIZING shampoo and always deep conditioning with a MOISTURIZING deep conditioner as well. I don't use the Garnier Fructis line so i don't if they're moisturizing or not. Like someone else mentioned above, add a daily moisturizer to your regime and only use oils to seal the moisturizer in. You WILL have long hair. 1. you must believe that and 2. you must do the right things CONSISTENTLY! You can do it! I'm rooting for you.

Last edited:

mstk

As another 4 whose hair tends to be very dry, the 2 big things that seem to have made a difference so far are moisturizing and sealing (daily to several times a week), and deep conditioning with heat (weekly). Good luck! Be patient, and be consistent.

TBird

Sorry OP but I must point out the obvious...you been here since 2004? You should be schoolin' us...
Sorry, but is that an issue? I've established a new commitment to my hair, didn't know that had a time limit. Thanks to everyone thus far for their suggestions and positive reinforcements. I will be washing my tonight as suggested by this week's poll. I'll finish out using the Garnier products but will be purchasing something different once I'm done with those. I will keep everyone posted weekly and hopefully can get my fotki up and running. Please just keep checking back in and encouraging me to keep at it!!!!

prospurr4

Can I get any other reviews for Motions Moisture Plus?

I love it....it's the only DC I've ever used during my hair journey. After using it, my hair feels soft and smells wonderful Plus, it's inexpensive and easy to find locally...it's at Walmart, Target, BSS, etc.

TBird

I love it....it's the only DC I've ever used during my hair journey. After using it, my hair feels soft and smells wonderful Plus, it's inexpensive and easy to find locally...it's at Walmart, Target, BSS, etc.
Thanks so much for the review. I'll add it to my list. Everyone here is the link to my fotki http://public.fotki.com/MrsBuckatootie/my-hair-journey/2010-09-15-20-14-07-794.html
I think. PW: lovingmyhair. I took this pic last night after my wash and blow dry to give you and idea of what my hair is doing right now. All responses are so appreciated. After the blow dry I used my mango butter...flat ironed and wrapped. It looks pretty good this morning. I'm pleased. I will also begin taking a supplement this week to hopefully provide some aid.