The Beyond Waist Length Thread

Cichelle

There was an old thread that was for members growing their hair to longer lengths. I thought I'd start a new one, since some time has passed since the old thread was started. I've read several people here state that they are not interesting in growing their hair longer than BSL or MBL, so I was kind of wanting to hear from those who ARE.

Who is going for hip, tailbone or classic?

My goal is to get to hip length by my birthday in May '08, but I'll be quite happy to get there by next summer.

Who is with me? And what are you doing to get there? Please share. :)

imstush

Who is going for hip, tailbone or classic? I actually want to grow my hair to that or longer if possible (or rather God willing).

My goal is to get to hip length by my birthday in May '08, but I'll be quite happy to get there by next summer. I set a goal of midback natural for end of 07 and I would love to be waistlength by my bday June 08.

I have been doing co washes, massaging my scalp, leaving the ponytail holders alone, using a baby brush, keeping my ends moisturized, trying to eat healthier, continue taking my vitamins, and keeping my hair protected.

Also, would you mind sharing your regimine?

sugarose

I am so with you!!

My ultimate goal is Hip Length and since I have 6 inches to go, I want to be there in exactly 1 year from now. I hope to make WL by the end of this year.

What I am doing to get there is 100% protective styling, stepping up the moisture, and stretching.

MizAvalon

I'd like to have what I call "princess, fairy-tale" hair. I'm not sure what length that is in normal terms.:lol:

How many inches will it take for you to get to hip length Cichelle? That will be some amazing process for 3 years of growing.

ETA: I forgot to add what I will be doing to reach my goal. Just continuing my current regimen. Protective styles, low manipulation, and CW. I just bought some hair sticks so I can attempt to jazz up my boring little buns! :grin:

Last edited:

Whimsy

Chichelle you're such an inspiration.
Ultimately I'd like waistlength unstretched natural hair....let's see if it's doable.

dlewis

I don't really have a final goal yet. But I'll be glad when I can join this club if I decide to grow super long.

camellia

I'm going for classic length. :wave:

And as much as I suffer from hair anorexia, I've decided classic is my final goal. It's a perfect length in my book, not too long, but long enough to satisfy me. Detangling after wearing my hair down and curly all day is becoming really obnoxious.

I think I need 5-7 more inches for full classic length and then I'll maintain there. I'll find out how close I am next month when I flat iron.

sugarose

camellia said:

And as much as I suffer from hair anorexia, I've decided classic is my final goal. It's a perfect length in my book, not too long, but long enough to satisfy me. Detangling after wearing my hair down and curly all day is becoming really obnoxious.

I think I need 5-7 more inches for full classic length and then I'll maintain there. I'll find out how close I am next month when I flat iron.

I was waiting for you to come in here. You are my "length" inspiration.

Blackoutzangel05

Well I just BC'ed today but my ultimate hair goal is WL stretched natural hair....once I am somewhere longer than I am right now I want to join this thread until then I am stalking big time LOL

Cichelle

imstush said:
Who is going for hip, tailbone or classic? I actually want to grow my hair to that or longer if possible (or rather God willing).

My goal is to get to hip length by my birthday in May '08, but I'll be quite happy to get there by next summer. I set a goal of midback natural for end of 07 and I would love to be waistlength by my bday June 08.

I have been doing co washes, massaging my scalp, leaving the ponytail holders alone, using a baby brush, keeping my ends moisturized, trying to eat healthier, continue taking my vitamins, and keeping my hair protected.

Also, would you mind sharing your regimine?

I don't have much of one. I basically cowash and detangle nearly every day, put in some natural butter and put my hair in some form of updo. I use protein when I feel I need it. Try to stay away from shampoo as much as possible.

I think I want to really work on my diet again. It was great for a minute there, but lately... uh-uh. So, I started drinking carrot juice again and putting a concentration on getting more protein and vegetables in my diet. I've always been pretty good about getting enough water. I drink as close to 2 liters a day as possible. I'm sticking with that.

I love the idea of doing scalp massages like you are doing, but I don't really know how. Could you describe how you do yours? I have a tendency towards laziness :look:, but I'd give it a try if I knew what I was doing!

I'm rooting for you to reach your goals! HHG! Keep checking back in and sharing your progress!

Cichelle

Whimsy said:
Chichelle you're such an inspiration.
Ultimately I'd like waistlength unstretched natural hair....let's see if it's doable.

Thank you!

Believe it's doable and go for it!

imstush

Cichelle said:
I don't have much of one. I basically cowash and detangle nearly every day, put in some natural butter and put my hair in some form of updo. I use protein when I feel I need it. Try to stay away from shampoo as much as possible.

I think I want to really work on my diet again. It was great for a minute there, but lately... uh-uh. So, I started drinking carrot juice again and putting a concentration on getting more protein and vegetables in my diet. I've always been pretty good about getting enough water. I drink as close to 2 liters a day as possible. I'm sticking with that.

I love the idea of doing scalp massages like you are doing, but I don't really know how. Could you describe how you do yours? I have a tendency towards laziness :look:, but I'd give it a try if I knew what I was doing!

I'm rooting for you to reach your goals! HHG! Keep checking back in and sharing your progress!

Thanks Cichelle for your response! I actually got this idea from Isis. I am lazy too. So while laying on my bed, I will hold my head over the bed, so that my head is basically upside down and just start massaging my scalp. It's good, because I can still lie down (hence where the laziness comes in), and listen to the TV.

ClassicBeauty

I think I'd like to get to Tailbone length. After that, it may be a little too much. I haven't figured out how to detangle and rollerset hair that is longer than my arm's length.:confused: Not to mention flat ironing it.:lol: Tailbone length sound good to me. Plus my waist is short, so that will probably look like a long, yet normal length. (Some of those pictures look like 'Cousin It' :lol: )

I'm just a little above my natural waist right now, but I'm really thinking about starting to do protective styles. I'm about to start using boundless tresses so I'm hoping that I can get a hair growth spurt soon. I'm starting to notice a lot of shedding lately, so I hope I'm not getting to my terminal length.:perplexed I know it sounds weird, but I lose less hair when it's flat ironed straight than when I wear it curly.:confused:

Last edited:

Dee Raven

Who is going for hip, tailbone or classic? between hip and tailbone when straightened

Who is with me? And what are you doing to get there? Please share.

I'm one year out of bc'ing so I have a long way to go, but basically I plan to keep it real simple. Co-wash, occasional shampoo, occasional DC, semi annual trims, and protective styling.

tld723

My ultimate goal is somewhere between waist and hip....I will probably be 90 by then, but I'm going to try !!!! I am just above APL right now, and I am doing a serious stretch, definitely considering going natural... I do have a question for those who use avacado and other butters... Can you buy them in stores or do you have to order online???
Thanks
Tami:)

Cichelle

MizAvalon said:
I'd like to have what I call "princess, fairy-tale" hair. I'm not sure what length that is in normal terms.:lol:

I thought it was like tailbone, but didn't someone say it's like ankle length? :eek:

Question: How do you feel about fairy-tale ends?

How many inches will it take for you to get to hip length Cichelle? That will be some amazing process for 3 years of growing.

How many inches....hmmm. You know, I'm not really sure. 4 or 5 maybe? As far as the amazing progress...not really. Remember, I transitioned for 14 months before the big chop. So, it will really be that I grew to hip in 4 years.

ETA: I forgot to add what I will be doing to reach my goal. Just continuing my current regimen. Protective styles, low manipulation, and CW. I just bought some hair sticks so I can attempt to jazz up my boring little buns! :grin:

Ohhh....hair sticks!!!! What do they look like!? I wanna see!

I got over being a product junkie. Now I'm a hair toy junkie!

camellia

tld723 said:
My ultimate goal is somewhere between waist and hip....I will probably be 90 by then, but I'm going to try !!!! I am just above APL right now, and I am doing a serious stretch, definitely considering going natural... I do have a question for those who use avacado and other butters... Can you buy them in stores or do you have to order online???
Thanks

I order online at From Nature With Love.

Cichelle

tld723 said:
Thanks

:lol: 90 is a great age to have long hair. But I'm sure you'll get there way before then!

I buy my butters online from one of two places: FNWL or Oils By Nature

I'm sure you can get them from stores somewhere. I just haven't found them. (I haven't looked too hard, either, though.)

Cichelle

Dee Raven said:
Who is going for hip, tailbone or classic? between hip and tailbone when straightened

Who is with me? And what are you doing to get there? Please share.

I'm one year out of bc'ing so I have a long way to go, but basically I plan to keep it real simple. Co-wash, occasional shampoo, occasional DC, semi annual trims, and protective styling.

I have found the bolded part to be key. Looks like you have a great plan.

Cichelle

imstush said:
Thanks Cichelle for your response! I actually got this idea from Isis. I am lazy too. So while laying on my bed, I will hold my head over the bed, so that my head is basically upside down and just start massaging my scalp. It's good, because I can still lie down (hence where the laziness comes in), and listen to the TV.

Oh, I like this. The lazy woman's scalp massage. lol! Yes, I think I've tried this in the past, but my life got crazy with my daughter at the time and I got off track. Maybe I'll get back to it, at least a couple of times a week. Thanks for explaining!

Cichelle

camellia said:

I was HOPING you'd join this thread!

I dream of going for classic when wet. I think that's my ultimate goal.

Now about that detangling... Yeah, I don't wear my hair down and curly for long. I learned the hard way and my hair is not nearly as long as yours! You know what else is getting obnoxious for me? The amount of conditioner I go through and the length of time it takes me to cowash. Yup, it's getting crazy. My shower is my second home. How long does it take you to detangle, cowash and etc?

Lucia

Cichelle said:
There was an old thread that was for members growing their hair to longer lengths. I thought I'd start a new one, since some time has passed since the old thread was started. I've read several people here state that they are not interesting in growing their hair longer than BSL or MBL, so I was kind of wanting to hear from those who ARE.

Who is going for hip, tailbone or classic?

My goal is to get to hip length by my birthday in May '08, but I'll be quite happy to get there by next summer.

I'm definately going for the longer lengths my goal is hip/tailbone and then maintain for thicker ends.

Cichelle did you mean this thread, the hip/tialbone beyond club ?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=61669

Cichelle

Lucia said:
I'm definately going for the longer lengths my goal is hip/tailbone and then maintain for thicker ends.

Cichelle did you mean this thread, the hip/tialbone beyond club ?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=61669

Yup! That's the one. Thanks for linking.

You are getting quite close to your goal. :)

To: Blackoutzangel05, don't wait! Join us now! It's not about how long your hair is now....but how long you want it to be.

To: sugarose, with protective styling and the other things you plan to do, you have a great chance of reaching your goal when you want to!

camellia

Cichelle said:
I was HOPING you'd join this thread!

I dream of going for classic when wet. I think that's my ultimate goal.

Now about that detangling... Yeah, I don't wear my hair down and curly for long. I learned the hard way and my hair is not nearly as long as yours! You know what else is getting obnoxious for me? The amount of conditioner I go through and the length of time it takes me to cowash. Yup, it's getting crazy. My shower is my second home. How long does it take you to detangle, cowash and etc?

I hear you on the conditioner. When I co-wash I use a horrifying amount. That's why I love deep conditioning, I add some honey,a little oil, and reduce the amount of conditioner I use.:lol:

When I've worn my hair down all day, or even worse, been dancing or something with my hair down I know that I'll have to spend the next 30 minutes or longer detangling it in the shower. The force of the water really helps.

Co-washing is quick and easy for me, no longer than 20 minutes.

My arms are only so long though, when I do get around to flat ironing it's going to be a pain, making sure each section is stretched out and smoothed all the way down. I can't imagine flat ironing hair longer than classic length.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Hip/Tailbone would definitely be a challenge. Especially since I just cut my hair last month. I'm MB/WL right now. Huuummmmm.:scratchch I'd really have to up my hair game for this. I think I may be up for the challenge though.

StrawberryQueen

MizAvalon said:

What length are you now?

My ideal hair goal is betwen hip and tailbone.